Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi

+7
Ice Silver Crystal
Kara
Luu Sky Sapphire
AtlantisLux
Abicion
zanekal1
ookamidesu
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi Empty Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi

Post by ookamidesu Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Background Information: Tate is not a HiME. He isn't even a girl. He is a Fuuka Gakuen student who runs miscellaneous errands for the Student Council. He also used to be part of the kendo club, until his knee injury, and it is implied that he was very good at the sport. He has blonde hair and brown eyes. And unmanly sideburns.

Warnings, cautions, notes, and randomness that you should know: I'm writing this analysis based on pure memory, so if there is incorrect information, let me know and I will fix it. Before reading this, you should have watched Mai HiME, or at least know all the essential details, because there will (undoubtedly) be many many spoilers. And some opinions. Okay, a lot of opinions.

My psycho-analysis:
It is seen early on that Tate has somewhat of a complex. I like to call it the "I-don't-want-to-be-useless-so-I'll-pretend-I-am-useful" complex.

The first instance of this was in the first episode, when they hauled Mikoto on-board. He felt that he had to resuscitate the girl back to life, even though it was not within his realm of responsibilities as a passenger. Now, it's great and all that he's being a good samaritan, but I've taken a CPR class. The first thing you do is check for breath. But he failed to do that. He just went straight for the mouth-to-mouth, which tells me that he most likely didn't know the proper procedure, which means that he is likely to not be CPR-certified. If he was not CPR-certified, he should not be attempting it. This is the first example of the "I-don't-want-to-be-useless-so-I'll-pretend-I-am-useful" complex.

Another example is during the SEARRS invasion. Tate wanted to feel useful, even though he didn't know what was going on, and plunged headfirst into the battlefield at Fuuka Gakuen, leaving Shiho alone by the caves (talk about irresponsibility). First of all, he was a sixteen year old boy with a few kendo lessons under his belt. What did he think he could do against the SEARRS military WITHOUT his wooden plaything? Second of all, he didn't even know what was going on and Mai already told him to take Shiho back to safety. He defied the words of someone who knew better (who had more information that he did), because what... he decided that maybe he could do something.

As the above example has already proven, Tate has a tendency to make bad decisions. This is mostly due to his inability to step outside of his "ME" bubble and think about what it is like for other people. Take Shiho, for example. Tate is FULLY aware of Shiho's affection for him.

When a girl dangles on your arm the way she does, calls you "onii-chan" the way she does, follow you around like a puppy the way she does, it's kind of hard to NOT know that she loves you in more than a brotherly or just-friend way. And yet, knowing that does not deter him from blatantly showing interest in Mai in front of Shiho.

Now, I'm not saying that just because Shiho liked him, it means that he needs to shirk all other women. I'm just saying that he should have dealt with that problem before it became a problem. If he had talked it out with Shiho and was more firm in his stance to keep a platonic relationship with the girl, maybe Shiho would have been able to move on and find herself someone else. Instead, he keep quiet and allowed Shiho to continue having these fantasies where eventually, Tate will someday return her affections. He just led her on, even though he knew nothing between them would ever happen.

Despite his complex and tendency to make bad decisions, Tate is not an inherently bad person. He has a kind heart that can be filled with guilt, as proven when he religiously visited Shiho in the hospital after he abandoned her in the mountains. He is just an average boy who doesn't know how to deal with his affections (exemplified by his actions with Mai and Shiho) and ego (his complex issue).

My name is Dye, and I do not approve of Tate's character. Because as the main male role in the anime, he was completely unmanly.
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi Empty Re: Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 pm

I am Kruger Natsuki, and I approve this message.

I do not approve of Sideburns Joe though, with his two-toned girly hair.

Back to top Go down

Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi Empty Re: Dye's Psycho-Analysis of Tate Yuichi

Post by zanekal1 Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I think you hit it spot on
zanekal1
zanekal1
Looks like a Yukino tastes like a Chie
Looks like a Yukino tastes like a Chie

Bubuzuke points : 628
Armitage GUTS!!! : 248

http://krypton619.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Abicion Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 am

dye882003 wrote:My name is Dye, and I do not approve of Tate's character. Because as the main male role in the anime, he was completely unmanly.
The majority of shounen leads usually are dopey guys who spend most of their show completely oblivious to the heroine's affection, though. His character just follows the trend.
Abicion
Abicion
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 247
Armitage GUTS!!! : 16

https://www.youtube.com/user/OrihimintRyunanade

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:40 am

I'm not really interested in characters like this, I still think though he's quite realistic as a regular teenager torn between the affection for his lil' sister and the attraction for his first love. While watching the series I found myself quite sympathetic towards his struggles to make himself useful and, in the end, to grown as a man people can rely on ^^
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 155
Armitage GUTS!!! : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 am

AtlantisLux wrote:I'm not really interested in characters like this, I still think though he's quite realistic as a regular teenager torn between the affection for his lil' sister and the attraction for his first love. While watching the series I found myself quite sympathetic towards his struggles to make himself useful and, in the end, to grown as a man people can rely on ^^

I have to agree. Tate's role from the manga was more of a struggle, having a back story attached to it. Anime Tate didn't have much going in comparison other than to be in a love triangle of sorts. Mai couldn't withdraw those feelings for him and vice versa.

I don't dislike Tate, he's a good person with true feelings for Mai. He cares a lot about Shiho as well, they knew each other for the longest time. It's just that an established brother-sister relationship is hard to evolve so suddenly when you've met someone else who you developed feelings for.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 am

Abicion wrote:
dye882003 wrote:My name is Dye, and I do not approve of Tate's character. Because as the main male role in the anime, he was completely unmanly.
The majority of shounen leads usually are dopey guys who spend most of their show completely oblivious to the heroine's affection, though. His character just follows the trend.

Yes, but there's no reason why trends cannot be broken. Although he did follow the equation for what is expected, a stronger male character with a different (more interesting) struggle would have made the series better, in my opinion.

AtlantisLux wrote:I'm not really interested in characters like this, I still think though he's quite realistic as a regular teenager torn between the affection for his lil' sister and the attraction for his first love. While watching the series I found myself quite sympathetic towards his struggles to make himself useful and, in the end, to grown as a man people can rely on ^^

I wholeheartedly agree on the realistic-ness, but Shiho is not really his younger sister. She is his childhood friend, who grew to have a massive crush on him. He's also 16, so I don't blame him for his bad decisions. But that also doesn't mean that it should be overlooked just cause he's 16. Shiho was hurt. And if the situation was worse, (if Shiho wasn't a HiME), she probably could have gotten killed. Manly points deducted for not thinking a situation through.

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

I don't dislike Tate, he's a good person with true feelings for Mai. He cares a lot about Shiho as well, they knew each other for the longest time. It's just that an established brother-sister relationship is hard to evolve so suddenly when you've met someone else who you developed feelings for.

The problem was that the brother-sister relationship should have already been established pre-Mai so that he could go ahead and have feelings for anyone and it wouldn't be a problem. If the strict brotherly-sisterly relationship established, I imagine things to be somewhat like what it's like in Mai's fantasy world. Besides, it wasn't like Shiho only starting pinning for Tate post-Mai. It was there all along. He should have done something about it long ago. Manly points deducted for taking the cowardly approach of hoping Shiho will someday stop her nonsense.
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am

dye882003 wrote:

Yes, but there's no reason why trends cannot be broken. Although he did follow the equation for what is expected, a stronger male character with a different (more interesting) struggle would have made the series better, in my opinion.

Well, yes, if this was the real objective of the show. While in Mai Hime not only Tate, but also all the rest of the cast is formed by fallacious characters whose flaws are, sooner or later, exposed through the series.

I wholeheartedly agree on the realistic-ness, but Shiho is not really his younger sister. She is his childhood friend, who grew to have a massive crush on him. He's also 16, so I don't blame him for his bad decisions. But that also doesn't mean that it should be overlooked just cause he's 16. Shiho was hurt. And if the situation was worse, (if Shiho wasn't a HiME), she probably could have gotten killed. Manly points deducted for not thinking a situation through.

Well, of course we don't have to forget he was the oldest "brother" and he should have solved that situation. Yet, it's clearly shown Tate was unable to cope with her jealousy because in the end he genuinely loved her (as a sister, yes, or a very close person) and he didn't want to hurt her but, in the same time, he didn't want to miss Mai.
I would have liked Tate to be more decisive too, but in the end it's what make the series interesting that almost each character cowardly hurt his/her loved ones despite the real will to do that ^^
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:34 pm

AtlantisLux wrote:
I would have liked Tate to be more decisive too, but in the end it's what make the series interesting that almost each character cowardly hurt his/her loved ones despite the real will to do that ^^

Well put! I never thought of it from that angle! This is why I love psychoanalysis. :D
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah, I love it too, and I think the best thing of MH is that it shows a great range of characters to study! ^___^
Sadly a lot of Japanese anime have very nice background stories, but characters are often abused clichés. In MH is exactly the other way around, in my opinion: the story is good but the real added value are the characters who are all so unmanly flawed and different from the usual tropes ^^
And to watch their struggles, triumphs and defeats against their own faults is so unbelievably entertaining! XD
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Ya can't blame Tate with the Shiho thing. I probably would've reacted similiarly, actually, I do. There's this kid who likes me, he follows me around and goes out of his way to find me and talk to me. He's a little freaky, but a nice guy, just not my type. I'm not just gonna go up and tell him, "Look, I don't like you and never will, leave me alone." It may sound horrible, but I just ignore it. I don't wanna hurt his feeelings!

And I would feel useless too to be the only one with no super cool special powers! I would cry!
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:12 am

Kara wrote:Ya can't blame Tate with the Shiho thing. I probably would've reacted similiarly, actually, I do. There's this kid who likes me, he follows me around and goes out of his way to find me and talk to me. He's a little freaky, but a nice guy, just not my type. I'm not just gonna go up and tell him, "Look, I don't like you and never will, leave me alone." It may sound horrible, but I just ignore it. I don't wanna hurt his feeelings!

Similar situations have happened with me, but I personally feel it is more cruel to lead them on because of this thing called "hope".
Kinda like... "She hasn't rejected me so maybe...." thing drives me nuts when I'm on the other side. So, for me, I rather the person come straight out and tell me no. So my heart can break a little, move on, and find someone else. I don't fancy fawning over someone when nothing's ever going to happen.
So, when I find that someone likes me and I don't like them back, I tell him/her no. I have actually uttered the words, "I'm sorry. I really only see you as a friend. Me and you, it's never going to happen."

I'm probably one of the very very very few who thinks that way though... >.>;
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm

dye882003 wrote: So, when I find that someone likes me and I don't like them back, I tell him/her no. I have actually uttered the words, "I'm sorry. I really only see you as a friend. Me and you, it's never going to happen."

I'm probably one of the very very very few who thinks that way though... >.>;

No, I've been in the same boat before. What happened was, there came a time when something happened between my relationship and then overtime, the girl that still wanted my affections was finally given the green-light. It took time, obviously. I don't jump from one girl to the other, there has to be a lot of history behind us.

In Tate's case, he did know Shiho for the longest time. To many people who sympathize with Shiho's strong feelings, they SHOULD be together. I don't see it that way. We make our own choices in love, Tate is no different.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm anxious to study an analysis for Shiho-san. I never understood her to any degree. Shizuru-san too.
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:I'm anxious to study an analysis for Shiho-san. I never understood her to any degree. Shizuru-san too.

Noted, Ice. Shiho will be done after I finish Midori's. XD
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I never put much thought into Tate's character, but tis makes sense! Two thumbs up for this!
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4253
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by hildebrant Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:44 pm

At least Tate fought to help Mai in the end, not that anyone cares about that. Though to be honest he handled the situation better than I would have ever done. He's on an island, perfectly normal and surrounded by some warped looking Kaiju monsters and all the girls have all the superpowers, he can't do anything, has to get rescued all the time, and he has a fandom that's out for his blood and hardly anyone standing by him. I'd have snapped a long time ago and transferred out to some school far away from the island but he stuck it out and I gotta admire a guy who faces his own death with a smile knowing that even though he's going to die, the two women he cares about the most aren't trying to kill each other anymore. Shame nobody ever notices or cares about that but, hey thats life, isn't it?
hildebrant
hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 pm

hildebrant wrote:At least Tate fought to help Mai in the end, not that anyone cares about that. Though to be honest he handled the situation better than I would have ever done. He's on an island, perfectly normal and surrounded by some warped looking Kaiju monsters and all the girls have all the superpowers, he can't do anything, has to get rescued all the time, and he has a fandom that's out for his blood and hardly anyone standing by him. I'd have snapped a long time ago and transferred out to some school far away from the island but he stuck it out and I gotta admire a guy who faces his own death with a smile knowing that even though he's going to die, the two women he cares about the most aren't trying to kill each other anymore. Shame nobody ever notices or cares about that but, hey thats life, isn't it?

I admit that I respect Tate for handling his death like a man with a smile, but I still can't seem to get over his bad decision-makings.

I also admit that I liked his line, "That guy is already dead" for when he was fighting the obsidian lord at the end. It was cool. But pre-death... my god... he annoyed me. XD
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by hildebrant Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm

But pre-death... my god... he annoyed me. XD[/quote]

well sorry to hear that
hildebrant
hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Haha, don't be discouraged hildebrant. Tate is a good dude and he went out and came back fighting like a man should. Had SUNRISE given him more of a spotlight, the fans would notice these things better. Like make him a Tuxedo Kamen type. :)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by hildebrant Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Haha, don't be discouraged hildebrant. Tate is a good dude and he went out and came back fighting like a man should. Had SUNRISE given him more of a spotlight, the fans would notice these things better. Like make him a Tuxedo Kamen type. :)

You know Luu you really are one of the people I can rely on to help calm me down or get me to stop complaining so much in regards to the Yuuichi bashing and I do apologize for constantly having to put you through such events. I'll try to bite my tongue in the future
hildebrant
hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 pm

hildebrant wrote:You know Luu you really are one of the people I can rely on to help calm me down or get me to stop complaining so much in regards to the Yuuichi bashing and I do apologize for constantly having to put you through such events. I'll try to bite my tongue in the future

:) You don't need to bite your tongue here, hildebrant. You have every right to defend any character from the Mai-Series (or any anime/manga for that matter) Just as long as you're expressing your opinion and not attacking someone else's (including the person him or herself), then everything is fine. :)

In short, hildebrant can put Tate on pedestal anytime he wants, whether everyone here likes it or not. :)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Aretha sung it. >:3 SING IT TOO!
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:21 pm

I wouldn't say she was Tate-Bashing. She was just giving her opinion as a overall through the series. Tate could've had a talk with Shiho (I am a Shiho fan) LONG before Mai even entered the picture and he continued to lead her on BEFORE she got hurt. The truth was obvious, but I can also understand the hero complex. What you gotta see is that Zhang wasn't trying to say Tate was terrible per-say, she even mentioned he had good points, but he did do one-to-many stupid/reckless things.

Also, someone on dA today did draw a pic of Shiho I liked, but mentioned they disliked the series. I didn't fight with them, I mentioned I disagreed but I respected their opinion because we all have diff tastes, but the person liked Shiho enough to wach the series and draw a pic.

Character love/hate is diff with everyone. I make a show about HaruKino because they are awesome, but people DO dislike HaruKino, and some people hate one or both characters. All I can do is say my opinion/ Cuz that's all it is: An Opinion.

So let's get off the matter of 'I do not like this' because I bet I won't like her Analysis of Shiho or others (Once she posts them) but I can still enjoy it.

er, perhaps I am long-winded. xD
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Pretty much, my long winded daughter. :) See, this is why Tate and Shiho are so well together, both are generally misunderstood by the fanbase! xD I kid of course. Yes, Shiho deserves love in her life, but I'd rather be a Tate x Mai shipper than a Tate x Shiho one anyday. Just how I feel, haha.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:39 pm

You know me, Daddy Luu, MaiHo ftw~ My fav crack. I kinda like the idea of Tate with Nao... people find that odd. xD
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next