Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

+7
GoldenSun13
Lerena
cecirdr
zanekal1
SpiderNeKoHiME
Luu Sky Sapphire
Kino karutta-chan
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Revolutionary Girl Utena Empty Revolutionary Girl Utena

Post by Kino karutta-chan Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Info for the series:
Just after Utena's parents died she was consoled by a prince who gave her a ring with a rose crest on it. Utena was so impressed by the Prince that she vowed to become one herself one day. A few years later Utena is attending Ohtori Academy where she gives all the teachers headaches because she dresses in a boys uniform so she can be like the prince she met long ago.

After Utena's friend is insulted by a member of the Student Council, Utena fights in a duel for her friends honor. Utena's rose crest allows her to enter the dueling arena where Utena wins the duel and becomes engaged to the Rose Bride. Unknowingly, Utena is pulled into a series of duels with other members of the Student Council for the possession of the Rose Bride. As she becomes fond of Anthy, the Rose Bride, she must fight to keep her friend safe and to discover the horrifying secret behind Ohtori Academy.
(source: ANN)

Revolutionary Girl Utena 5723l

Info for the movie: Adolescence Apocalypse:
In a loose retelling of the Revolutionary Girl Utena TV series, Utena Tenjou arrives at Ohtori Academy, only to be immediately swept up in a series of duels for the hand of her classmate Anthy Himemiya and the power she supposedly holds. At the same time, Utena reunites with Touga Kiryuu, a friend from her childhood who seems to know the secrets behind the duels. Utena must discover those secrets for herself, before the power that rules Ohtori claims her and her friends, new and old.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 22710l

Info for the manga:
Utena Tenjou had a tragic childhood - her parents died when she was young, and she almost drowned, had it not been for her prince who came and rescued her. Because of the impact this prince had on her life, Utena strives to be just like him - to grow up to be a prince, not a princess, and to spread nobility, ultimately finding her prince and bringing revolution.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1569317135.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_

---
Luu wanted a thread, Luu can has a thread (as always ;D)

Always the same story?? Yes and no. There are many differences, but it's still somehow the same story, yepp.
I know them all. I like the series the most, then comes the manga and I think the movie is the worst (the awesome art doesn't matter, sorry).

Well, it's one of the strangest (or maybe THE strangest) and greatest animes I ever watched. I promise you: You will be confused by this anime.

Don't ask me since when I know this anime O_O It's been a long time... Well, I just finished reading the manga XD

Whatever. Thoughts on this series are very welcome ^__^
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Revolutionary Girl Utena Empty Re: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:50 pm

You are too kind, Kino-chan. ^-^

When it comes to Revolutionary Girl Utena (or Shoujo Kakumei Utena), the word "random" comes to mind. It's certainly strange and doesn't explain anything at point blank. It's a series of discovery, filled with symbolism to unearth.

I'll start from the beginning with how I discovered the anime series. In 1999, a friend of mine who loved Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon (just as much as I did) introduced me to a little series called Revolutionary Girl Utena. This was a response to my asking her about any other lesbian couple in anime. The famous ones. XD Boom! several weeks later, a batch of CDRs filled with low quality episodes arrived in the mail.

At first glance, Utena appeared easy to understand. Tomboy arrives, gets involved in another's affair, she is revealed to have great skills in dueling, makes friends with the girl she saves, group of duelists challenge her every so often, tomboy fights them to protect her friend because she's not an item, she's a human being. Simple right? In the beginning perhaps but as the series progresses, you notice a few things that seem out of place. Things aren't always what they seem to the untrained eye. Even it's amazing vocal soundtrack is a dance partner for every episode message.

The iconic opening...

Once upon a time many years ago, there was a little princess, and she was very sad. For her mother and father had died. Before the princess appeared a traveling prince riding upon a white horse. He has a regal bearing and a kind smile. The prince wrapped the princess in a rose-scented embrace and gently wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Little one," He said, "Who bears up alone in such deep sorrow. Never loose that strength or nobility, even when you grow up. I give you this to remember me this day. We will meet again. This ring will lead you to me, one day."

Perhaps the ring the prince gave her was an engagement ring. This was all well and good, but so impressed was she by him, that the princess vowed to become a prince herself one day!

But was that really such a good idea?

...always made you wonder about Utena's past from the start. Obviously, she was princess the opening spoke of.

The Utena universe at Ohtori Academy is filled with some of the most bizarre, outrageous characters that we'll go over in the near future. Like the off-center Nanami Kiryuu, the truly twitterpated up Kozue Kaoru and of course, the mysterious (and often creepy) Anthy Himemiya, The Rose Bride.

Thoughts on episodes and movies coming soon. X3 I haven't read the manga in a while, so I don't remember too much. Any questions, just ask. More surprises on the way.[i]
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 am

i love the series but I didn't like the movie much. @_@
'bizarre yuri thrill ride' is the best way to describe it :/
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:11 pm

>_< Why is the Utena movie so misunderstood!?

Latest news! Well, it's old news but exciting nonetheless:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/nozomiEntertainment/pressReleases/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000001700

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/comingSoon/ax2010-77fp11jk!-jjh0-7fg/

RIGHT STUF & NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announce REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA TV Series & SORA NO WOTO
Anime Expo 2010: New license and project announcements

GRIMES, Iowa, July 2, 2010 – Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division made several announcements during its July 2nd panel at Anime Expo 2010 in Los Angeles, California. Right Stuf President and C.E.O. Shawne Kleckner revealed its licenses for the REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA and SORA NO WOTO television series, plus an English-language audio remaster for GRAVITATION and details about the future releases for several previously announced projects, including JUNJO ROMANTICA 2, DIRTY PAIR, EL-HAZARD: THE WANDERERS and ANTIQUE BAKERY.

Nice to see a high quality (and textless) trailer of Rinbu Revolution. It's about damn time.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:43 pm

uhh, that's pretty nice, but since I just bought the DVDs last year I don't think that I want buy the new version o.o
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am

Yeah, I'm stuck in a very annoying position here. I want a remastered Utena, it's my 5th favorite anime of all time! Yet I already have the entire series on DVD. >_< Unremastered with eh dubbing. I need more time. @_@
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by zanekal1 Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 am

I stumbled across this anime by accident but found it's mind messing roller coaster ride too much of a puzle to pass up I spent most of my time trying to figure out just how over sexed these kids were and why.
zanekal1
zanekal1
Looks like a Yukino tastes like a Chie
Looks like a Yukino tastes like a Chie

Bubuzuke points : 628
Armitage GUTS!!! : 248

http://krypton619.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cecirdr Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm definitely going to buy this when it's released again on DVD. I've only seen this via streaming and I liked it so much that I really want to have my own copy.

Despite it reusing a lot of scenes over and over again and my wishing that the black rose arc had been more condensed, I was still a masterpiece of storytelling in my opinion.
cecirdr
cecirdr
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 40
Armitage GUTS!!! : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 am

I actually loved the Black Rose arc the most. Secondly, anyone have any opinions on Anthy's personality? She seems like a complete doormat, but I've heard arguments to the contrary. Even if she IS a doormat, it's because she rarely does anything herself that it's difficult to analyze what the Rose Bride is really thinking. It's a complicated series, but I'm more curious about the emotions that Anthy feels deep down.

Also: The movie. I felt like I tripped throughout the entire thing.
Lerena
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3771
Armitage GUTS!!! : 558
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Lerena wrote:I actually loved the Black Rose arc the most. Secondly, anyone have any opinions on Anthy's personality? She seems like a complete doormat, but I've heard arguments to the contrary. Even if she IS a doormat, it's because she rarely does anything herself that it's difficult to analyze what the Rose Bride is really thinking. It's a complicated series, but I'm more curious about the emotions that Anthy feels deep down.

Also: The movie. I felt like I tripped throughout the entire thing.

The Black Rose arc was very entertaining filler. :) Anthy is the Rose Bride, her mission is to be a door mat for whoever's in possession of her. What happens is that Utena Tenjou becomes much more than just 'hers' by insisting they have a deep balanced friendship. Anthy is a mystery with a lot of feelings locked away, though you eventually witness them set free near the end. Let's just say, she finally makes her own decision. Wink
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Utena was my first yuri anime that I watched about 4 years ago. I remember I was adjusting to the fact that I liked girls and somehow stumbled across first the movie, then the anime. If it wasn't for Utena, I would probably not be on this forum today. After watching it I began to discover the other anime, found the Japanese dubbing of Sailor Moon (Haruka/Michiru FTW!) and eventually discovered Mai Hime.

The first time I watched it, it kind of freaked me out; the main plot mixed in with these really random filler episodes left me a bit bemused as I was still used to simpler anime. When I watched it again, and then watched the movie afterwards though, I really got the appreciate the different layers to the series. Not only was there the main plot and the dialogue, there was also symbolism and a need to read between the lines. I won't spoil the ending, however I will say that it has stuck with me to this day.

Seeing as I watched the movie before the anime, at first I felt like they were just repeating the same story line, only they condensed it into a movie. I see now though, that it could possibly be two things (or perhaps more but IDK) 1) The movie continues on from the series and depicts a second life lived or 2) It's the writer experimenting with a new but familiar setting, giving the viewers a happy (if not confusing/cliff hanger) ending.

I definitely have to see it again because the last time was all those years ago; the series ending and Anthy's "doormat" personality putting me off a bit. After reading through this thread though, I'm in the mood for a little Juri XP

GoldenSun13
GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:The Black Rose arc was very entertaining filler. :) Anthy is the Rose Bride, her mission is to be a door mat for whoever's in possession of her. What happens is that Utena Tenjou becomes much more than just 'hers' by insisting they have a deep balanced friendship. Anthy is a mystery with a lot of feelings locked away, though you eventually witness them set free near the end. Let's just say, she finally makes her own decision. Wink
I've seen the entire Utena series, so I know she makes her own decision. I've been thinking of re-watching Utena, but it's one of the most complicated series I have ever watched so chances are I'd have trouble with analyzing her even after re-watching. One of the episodes made me cry. I wonder if that same episode would make me cry today.
Lerena
Lerena

Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyria Lightning Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm

I have to say, that series gave me the biggest amount of headache in my Anime history... I might write more detailed about that later, I just can say that I wrote down each symbol and metaphor I could find into a folder. Actually, that might be about 4 fat folders.

I was a crackhead at that time. And completely addicted to the goal "Solve the mysteries!"

I never found out all of it. That was my biggest motivation to watch Utena, not only Juri XD
Valkyria Lightning
Valkyria Lightning
The Apex Asexual Predator struck by FLightning

Bubuzuke points : 2299
Armitage GUTS!!! : 740

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Narsilia wrote:I have to say, that series gave me the biggest amount of headache in my Anime history... I might write more detailed about that later, I just can say that I wrote down each symbol and metaphor I could find into a folder. Actually, that might be about 4 fat folders.

I was a crackhead at that time. And completely addicted to the goal "Solve the mysteries!"

I never found out all of it. That was my biggest motivation to watch Utena, not only Juri XD

When I had to sit down and go into a detailed analysis for the Utena Series, it took almost 6 hours to write everything. This was on a Sailor Moon forum and to this day, that threads gets a lot of views/praise. XD It was no fun going over them all and responding to the questions concerning the movie. @_@ It's not that shrouded in mystery, a lot of the symbolism is pretty transparent. You just have to get over the abstract mind fucks.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyria Lightning Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Narsilia wrote:I have to say, that series gave me the biggest amount of headache in my Anime history... I might write more detailed about that later, I just can say that I wrote down each symbol and metaphor I could find into a folder. Actually, that might be about 4 fat folders.

When I had to sit down and go into a detailed analysis for the Utena Series, it took almost 6 hours to write everything. This was on a Sailor Moon forum and to this day, that threads gets a lot of views/praise. XD It was no fun going over them all and responding to the questions concerning the movie. @_@ It's not that shrouded in mystery, a lot of the symbolism is pretty transparent. You just have to get over the abstract mind fucks.

guess it always depends on how you look at it. Not every symbol seems the same in each country. For every eastern symbol you have to take care about the western aspect. Also... Dealing with Freud and Hesse at the same time can be rather time-consuming XD (especially Freud was such an example. DAMN.)
Valkyria Lightning
Valkyria Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Narsilia wrote:guess it always depends on how you look at it. Not every symbol seems the same in each country. For every eastern symbol you have to take care about the western aspect. Also... Dealing with Freud and Hesse at the same time can be rather time-consuming XD (especially Freud was such an example. DAMN.)

Touche! I haven't thought about how other countries may take these symbolisms. When you go through an endless string of Freudian concepts, Herman Hesse's Damien, Buddhist and Hindu Metaphysics, incest, homosexuality, people turning into cars, and sexual revolution, you tend to wonder more. Anyone new to this series will have fun researching it right down to most meaningless philosophical question, like what kind of monkey is Chu Chu?
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyria Lightning Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 am

ChuChu isn't a monkey. It's Arnold Schwarzenegger after years on steroids XD
Valkyria Lightning
Valkyria Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Narsilia wrote:ChuChu isn't a monkey. It's Arnold Schwarzenegger after years on steroids XD

Revolutionary Girl Utena Arnold10

SEPARATED AT BIRTH?! o_O; What say you, Juri?

Juri : ...

Good answer. *drinks acid*
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyria Lightning Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Narsilia wrote:ChuChu isn't a monkey. It's Arnold Schwarzenegger after years on steroids XD

Revolutionary Girl Utena Arnold10

SEPARATED AT BIRTH?! o_O; What say you, Juri?

Juri : ...

Good answer. *drinks acid*

most likely *bwahahahahaha* XD
Valkyria Lightning
Valkyria Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm re-watching the entire series now. There's this quote I'm looking for from the series that Saionji said. It was some crap about hidden love, but it was interestingly deep. I have zero idea which episode it's in.

I just have to say this about Nanami:
Spoiler:

If it's possible, I have to do an essay on this anime one year. All the symbolism and the like would give me a run for the hills. I'm sure there's more to analyze than I can see. Nevertheless, if I could do an essay on something full of symbolism, it would either be Utena or Evangelion. Crossing my fingers that someday my assignment can be to watch and analyze Utena. Shiho Huit
Lerena
Lerena

Back to top Go down

Post by frzn Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Lerena wrote:I just have to say this about Nanami:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
frzn
frzn
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 73
Armitage GUTS!!! : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:01 pm

frzn wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lerena
Lerena

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Lerena wrote:
frzn wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:15 pm

ookamidesu wrote:
Spoiler:

((No spoiler tags for what I'm about to say. ;p ))

Not only that, Dye, Tenjou-sama also informed her it wasn't a Sebastian Dior cowbell, but a...Cow-stian Dior cowbell. o_o I love this legendary series to death, but I can't tell if that was an intended clever pun or they were just being ironic.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyria Lightning Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:22 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
ookamidesu wrote:
Spoiler:

((No spoiler tags for what I'm about to say. ;p ))

Not only that, Dye, Tenjou-sama also informed her it wasn't a Sebastian Dior cowbell, but a...Cow-stian Dior cowbell. o_o I love this legendary series to death, but I can't tell if that was an intended clever pun or they were just being ironic.

I actually think that it is supposed to be a japanese inside-joke? Something we americans/europeans don'T get ._o
Valkyria Lightning
Valkyria Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next