Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any?

+12
midori's crazy398
SulliMike23
Acid Raw
Loki Silvertongue
Yuri-hime
Sergay Tate
Kino karutta-chan
Chibi Rachy
MidnightPersona
GoldenSun13
Luu Sky Sapphire
Defiant
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Empty Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any?

Post by Defiant Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 am

I think title says all (I didn´t saw book topic here...hope I didn´t just missed it, in that case just delete this...), talk about your favorite literature, favorite genre, favorite author...whatever that is somehow related to books.
Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Books+2
Defiant
Defiant
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 348
Armitage GUTS!!! : 83

http://www.postavy.cz

Back to top Go down

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Empty Re: Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any?

Post by Defiant Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 am

Well, I am no bibliophile, but I read something from time to time

Night Watch series
Author: Sergei Lukjaněnko (+Vladimir Vasilev)
Genre: Fantasy, Horror (I would have call it "Detective fantasy")
Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Nightwatch
Its the best fantasy saga I have read (and I have read LoTR). I just love the realistic 1st person telling of Lukjaněnko. Its not like you are going through story with Anton (main character) you become Anton who is slowly discovering the plot. It would made a hell of a good anime. I have borrowed the books to several (nao past)classmates and since that we were doing some roleplaying during pauses like
"Borrow me your math notes in the name of Day watch, Light-Other one!"
"By the authority of Night-Watch I refuse, Dark-Other!"
"In that case, I shall put a protest to Inquisition burreau."

Its a shame what they did with the two movies, its like they f*cked up everything they could, destroyed everything that was so cool about that universe.
Defiant
Defiant
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Empty Re: Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu May 19, 2011 12:29 pm

I enjoy reading a lot, so I could go down quite a list of books. First and foremost (to get things going here) are memoirs. My favorite being a wonderful down-to-Earth memoir by Julie Andrews (of Sound of Music, Mary Poppins and Princess Diaries fame):

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Memoir10

Titled "Home: A Memoir of my Early Years"; we find out that this elegant, talented legend didn't have the finest upbringing. Julie Andrews goes deep into her early life and it's inspiring to know that even someone like her (or anyone with an equally interesting life) can go from zero to 100 with enough perseverance.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 Thu May 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Gotta love Julie Andrews. Gotta love all the older actors, like Nagi van Dyke and Angela Lansbury :)

I'm the same as Luu; I could go on and on about books because I enjoy reading. I guess, seeing as I'm currently re-reading it (as I wait for the second book to arrive), I should mention The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's sooo good! I got it for Christmas and had read it in about a day, I was so hooked. It can get very graphic at times but it's so well written, for a translation, I was enjoying it too much to put it down. The fact that Stieg Larsson, the author, handed in the three manuscripts for each book, then mysteriously died before they got published...

The book I was reading before that was Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. Anyone looking for good Lesbian literature, should look no further (and maybe also at "Rebellion" by Jay Traverner). The twist had me shaking my head in amazement for a few hours after. (And the fanfictions I read after made me very very happy Viola)
GoldenSun13
GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Thu May 19, 2011 6:57 pm

My favorite series is the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding.

I also read Star Wars books (Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest being my favorite series of em).

I also like Animorphs, who didn't? xD

I gotta sat Annie on my Mind was the first lesbian novel I read after coming out and it's one of my favorite books too, and Good Moon Rising and Keeping You a Secret. xD

Oh, how I love books xD

Harry Potter, LotR, Narnia... BOOKS! /dies
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4253
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Chibi Rachy Thu May 19, 2011 7:07 pm

My favorite author currently is Jane Fletcher, her two series Celaeno and The Lyremouth Chronicles being my two favorites. She writes fantasy, and her books definitely feature two women together, which is definitely nice. I love her books because each one makes you really think. One had me reconsidering the true right when it comes to what is religion vs heresy. Another dealt with class systems. Those are just some examples though. I look forward to the next time she writes a new book.

My favorite book series ever since I was 12 has been the Anne of Green Gables series. A chapter from the first book was in my sixth grade reader and it just so happened that the sixth grade teachers loved the series so we got to watch the first half of the first film. Shortly after that I received the complete series as a gift and devoured them. It's been my dream to someday travel to PEI and see Cavendish, the town Avonlea was based on.

Goldensun mentioned Fingersmith above. That's actually one of my least favorites from Sarah Waters. I loved Tipping the Velvet, but most of all I enjoyed The Nightwatch best. I loved how it worked backwards with the story, and the WWII setting for it all.

Midnight, I didn't think anyone else knew of the Broken Sky series! I found that as a teen and quickly devoured it. It's hard to get a copy of the series it seems. I have all the individual books. Kia was definitely a kickass sort of girl.

I've been reading more as of late, and that's thanks to my Kindle. I didn't know how much more it'd cause me to read. I can read whatever I want in public. I can carry a small device instead of some thick book. And I don't have to read fanfiction on the computer anymore. It came in so handy at Tekkoshocon this year when I was waiting in line. Plus, I do take advantage of cheap and/or free books. I didn't think an ereader would be something I enjoyed, but I do.
Chibi Rachy
Chibi Rachy
Sibylla Aurea of Simoun Fanfic

Bubuzuke points : 479
Armitage GUTS!!! : 174

http://chibirachy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Fri May 20, 2011 3:59 am

Anne of Green Gables X3 I should reread the book I have of this series : D

I actually have no idea anymore what my favourite book is. Maybe something I read more than three times?? :0 That would be "The Firebrand" by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I am not a huge fantasy fan, but I really love this book ö.ö I totally should reread it again XDDD And I want to read it English some time, too.
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen is a classic :3 "Mr. Bennet!" ftw.! XDD I always enjoy reading this book.
I dunno. There are too many good books out there ö.ö
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chibi Rachy Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 am

Kino karutta-chan wrote:Anne of Green Gables X3 I should reread the book I have of this series : D

I have a collection of books, mostly the first book, and a couple of the second or third. I'm such a nerd with that series though that I have a book that has all the notes and annotations, descriptions of various things like flowers and such. I've also got an analysis and summary book that I've not read yet.
Chibi Rachy
Chibi Rachy

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 Fri May 20, 2011 7:50 am

Chibi Rachy wrote:

Goldensun mentioned Fingersmith above. That's actually one of my least favorites from Sarah Waters. I loved Tipping the Velvet, but most of all I enjoyed The Nightwatch best. I loved how it worked backwards with the story, and the WWII setting for it all.

I loved Velvet as well :) I saw quite a bit of myself in Nan, so that's the reason why it's not my favourite. I have yet to read the Nightwatch but it's nice to hear of someone who actually enjoyed how it was structured. I've read a lot of reviews where people were complaining *shakes fist at screen*. BBC have done an adaptation to it. Can't wait for it to come out! Mikoto Minagi

Last edited by GoldenSun13 on Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldenSun13
GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm

XD Oh don't get me started on lesbian novels, Raven. I'll save that for my next post, for nao I will always mention that I am a huge Nancy Drew reader. My father gave me my first Nancy Drew mystery "The Secret of the Old Clock" when I was just six years old, which began my love of reading (trumping my attraction to the NES...until the Sega Genesis came around that is ;3 ). Since then I have collected all of Nancy Drew's adventures, including the newer series from the 80s, 90s and even 2000s with Nancy as a anime/manga character.

The character of Nancy is very much responsible for my love of female leads in fiction, (her and Wonder Woman) leading the way for me admiring big names like Sailor Moon, Natsuki Kuga, Xena, and Madlax to name a few. She's a beloved heroine for all time and I recommend her stories to the next generation of brats who love their Jersey Shore and PS3. :)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Fri May 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Chibi Rachy wrote:Midnight, I didn't think anyone else knew of the Broken Sky series! I found that as a teen and quickly devoured it. It's hard to get a copy of the series it seems. I have all the individual books. Kia was definitely a kickass sort of girl.

Kia <3 I want her so bad I can't see strait. xD I got all the books I do believe. It was hard though and I haven't been able to read the last one yet cuz it's in KY. The first book is my favorite of them all. It's absolutely captivating!

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:XD Oh don't get me started on lesbian novels, Raven. I'll save that for my next post, for nao I will always mention that I am a huge Nancy Drew reader.

Ah my lesbian novels <3 Get started! xD My mom loves Nancy Drew but I never got into her. Idk why, I think it's cuz the only mystery type show/booked I ever liked was Scoody Doo xD
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4253
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Defiant Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 pm

All Quiet on the Western Front + The Spark of Life
Author: Erich Maria Remarque
Genre: War novel

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? All%20quiet%20on%20the%20western%20front
Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? N152657

I don´t read classic much (well, maybe except scifi and fantasy classic) but Remarque is exception.
All Quiet on the Western Front - one of the saddest thing I have ever read and will ever read. It shows probably the most realistic face of war - horrors of World War One seen from German troopers perspective and how friendship and one person can disappear in that mess.
The Spark of Life - main hero is a man who forgot his name in concentration camp. Its about how how hopeless and meaningless life in camp slowly changes as the Nazi regime starts to colapse.
Defiant
Defiant
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chibi Rachy Sat May 21, 2011 9:49 am

MidnightPersona wrote:[color=crimson]Kia <3 I want her so bad I can't see strait. xD I got all the books I do believe. It was hard though and I haven't been able to read the last one yet cuz it's in KY. The first book is my favorite of them all. It's absolutely captivating!

Definitely a good series indeed. It was one of my first intros to kickass female leads, the other being Lessa in the Pern series.

MidnightPersona wrote:Ah my lesbian novels <3 Get started! xD My mom loves Nancy Drew but I never got into her. Idk why, I think it's cuz the only mystery type show/booked I ever liked was Scoody Doo xD

You should read the lesbian version then! There are a series of parody novels. One set parodies Jane Bond. The other series does both Nancy Drew (Nancy Clue), Cherry Aimes (Cherry Aimless), and the Hardy Boys (The Hardly Boys). All are by Mabel Maney. Kiss the Girls and Make Them Spy was my first lesbian novel, and it's definitely a good romp.
Chibi Rachy
Chibi Rachy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Mine is the Sword of Shannara trilogy (and the Heritage of Shannara after it). very very long trilogy, but my god are they good.
[img]Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Sword-10
[img]Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? 18414910[/img]

and here's the wiki who wants to have a looksie :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Shannara
Sergay Tate
Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Bubuzuke points : 5920
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series/saga. Truly breathtaking body of work. For lovers and readers of fantasy, this series is spectacular =3

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Silvertongue Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Yuri-hime wrote:Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series/saga. Truly breathtaking body of work. For lovers and readers of fantasy, this series is spectacular =3

Love this series.

I also love David Eddings The Belgaried/MAllorean and the ones with Sparhawk.

Elizabeth Moon is love <3

I love her The Deed of Paksenarrion series.
Loki Silvertongue
Loki Silvertongue
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 41
Armitage GUTS!!! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Loki Silvertongue wrote:
Yuri-hime wrote:Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series/saga. Truly breathtaking body of work. For lovers and readers of fantasy, this series is spectacular =3

Love this series.
*hi5s you* =D

I like Cara from the tv adaption of the book series as your avi ^^

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Silvertongue Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 am

Yush, I absolutely loved Tabrett as Cara.

I haven't got far into the books yet as I watched the tv series yet and my local library only has the first two in ;_;
Loki Silvertongue
Loki Silvertongue
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Loki Silvertongue wrote:Yush, I absolutely loved Tabrett as Cara.

I haven't got far into the books yet as I watched the tv series yet and my local library only has the first two in ;_;
I hope you can get your hands on them somehow. I have already pre-ordered the latest book which is set to be released in September, from Amazon.com. Amazon has all the books at pretty low prices used, or you could just download the Kindle app and buy an even more ridiculously cheap version through the Kindle store ^^

But of course that all depends on whether you can make purchases online, and I don't assume you can ^^
But just wanted to put the option out there for ya, because even if the tv series is considered good, it doesn't hold a candle to the actual book series. Most of what happens in the tv show isn't how it is set originally in the books. The tv series take some major liberties with the real book plot.

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Silvertongue Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Oh yes. I got that from just from the first book.

The library can order them in from different branches or even buy them new but I am wanting to focus on my exams. Whenever teachers see me reading during exam periods they confiscate the book now days ^^;
Loki Silvertongue
Loki Silvertongue
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Loki Silvertongue wrote:Oh yes. I got that from just from the first book.

The library can order them in from different branches or even buy them new but I am wanting to focus on my exams. Whenever teachers see me reading during exam periods they confiscate the book now days ^^;
Lol, oh fail on the teachers XD

Well, whenever you get the chance to read up on the entire series, you're gonna love it =3

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Silvertongue Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Its not really a fail on their part. I have a reputation for reading instead of studying. I don't study when they take the books of me but meh.

XD

Ooooh I forgot to mention Terry Pratchett. Love his books, especially the City Watch ones. Moist von Lipwig, the Witches and Death are awesome too ^^
Loki Silvertongue
Loki Silvertongue
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Raw Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:04 am

Sweet, another Terry Pratchett fan. Oh I would have to say my fav book is Thud (just beating "Night Watch"), Sam Vimes mentality reminds me so much of my own.
Acid Raw
Acid Raw
Mai's Sugar Daddy
Mai's Sugar Daddy

Bubuzuke points : 208
Armitage GUTS!!! : 81

http://www.acidraw.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Book/Literature Reviews and Recommendations! Got any? Empty Book Reviews, Whatcha Readin'?

Post by SulliMike23 Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am

We got movie and TV threads, why not books? I'm sure plenty of you guys still read books. So I figure what the hey and start a book review thread. To get us started I'll review a book I had recently read by an anime fan like the rest of us, Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

Cinder is Marissa's take on the classic story of Cinderella, but with a futuristic twist. Cinder, the main title character, is a cyborg who lives with her adopted step-mother who hates her to no end, and her two step-sisters, one hates her as much as her step-mother while the other loves her regardless of her being a cyborg. She's a mechanic working a meager living in New Beijing over a hundred years after World War IV in a nation known as the Eastern Commonwealth. One day, the prince to the Commonwealth throne, Kai, visits her shop to see if she can fix his android nanny and thus we get a glimpse of our main romance of this story.

But while Cinder is facing her own problems, the world itself is facing a crisis of a plague that is claiming lives on a daily basis. While many people by the plague, a scientist is working on trying to find an antidote for it with little success. Kai himself is still trying to learn what it means to be the leader of a country and it's because of his inexperience the main antagonist of the book series uses this to her advantage. She is the queen of Luna, a kingdom on the moon (sound familiar?) and she rules it with an iron fist. She and those who live on the moon have developed an ability to change the bioelectric energies of the human body to make others believe that she's a beauty or do whatever she wants them to. Cinder is fighting her own shortcomings as a cyborg mechanic and a girl in love with a handsome prince, while at the same time trying to find a means to escape the horrible life she lives.

This story has political intrigue, romance, science fiction, it's just overall a great story. Granted it has it's flaws, but after reading the whole book I have to say that I enjoyed every word of it. If you guys find it at your nearby book store or have an eReader, I recommend buying this book. The author, Marissa Meyer, as I said is an anime fan like the rest of us and you'll find that it plays into the story of her book series. She also has a fanfiction page on fanfiction.net, she's known as "Alicia Blade" and you'll find that the majority of her fanfics are all Sailor Moon. Trust me, this girl has talent.

So on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best, I have to give this story 4.5/5.
SulliMike23
SulliMike23
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 959
Armitage GUTS!!! : 281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Literature/book threads have been merged, but I'll keep Sulli's title as it feels the most appropriate. :)

"Cinder" sounds like something I'd read for sure. I know who Alicia Blade is and haven't kept up with her page and LJ in the longest time. The girl sure came a long way since then. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll review some of my newest purchases sometime!
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next