Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME?

5 posters

Go down

What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME? Empty What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat May 22, 2010 10:08 pm

^_^ Honest answers here. I know the majority of Mai lovers enjoyed HiME more and I don't disagree. I might be in the minority for the advantages Otome has over HiME, but I must list and discuss them. Very slowly, for the sake of a long and boring discussion. ;P

I'll begin with the first element that makes Mai Otome better. A minor one which we boys like to pay attention to a lot: The action. The fights are a lot more epic in Otome. Faster, more destructive and drawn out (in a good way, mind you). This is all a good thing as Sunrise provided a good story to support/compliment the action. When a battle happens in anime, there has to be reason as to why it's happening. Not like in DBZ or Naruto where they're fighting for the sake of fighting. Mai Otome has reasons for their battles (jealousy, end of a friendship, turncoat taking over, etc.) and when they unfold, it's an eye opener of epic proportions. Certain fights like the Midori and Meister Shizuru's scuffle were so damn good. It also helps that Mai Otome has more "scope" than HiME, with it's castle, deserts, and vast city atmosphere. But I'll get to that with my next post. ^_^

Discuss what makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME, unless you truly believe HiME is superior in EVERY single way. ^_~
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME? Empty Re: What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME?

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 am

mmmhmm, i agree on the action! don't forget about the fanservice, my prince! much much more of it in mai otome. Nao being a top rank makes me happy. :3 Hime didn't have Nina and she kicks bum!!!
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME? Empty Re: What makes Mai Otome better than Mai HiME?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 pm

SpiderNeKoHiME wrote:mmmhmm, i agree on the action! don't forget about the fanservice, my prince! much much more of it in mai otome. Nao being a top rank makes me happy. :3 Hime didn't have Nina and she kicks bum!!!

XD You've been going nuts over Nina lately, I'm starting to wonder...;P

Yes! The fanservice is higher in Otome. :D Bonus for me! Just take a look at my avatar for an example. Remember the bath scene in the 3rd episode of Mai Otome Zwei? I rest my case. ^_^ Rosalie really stood out.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

I liked mai hime more ^^
(and not only because of Alyssa)
denerop
denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

https://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

denerop wrote:I liked mai hime more ^^

A bird can't compete with normal Alyssa and her background story from HiME. Wink
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
denerop wrote:I liked mai hime more ^^

A bird can't compete with normal Alyssa and her background story from HiME. ;)

True true ^^
Also, i just liked Mai Hime more.
Of course i like Nina, but Arika doesn't do much for me.
I also like Akira, who only appears in one episode.
Also, i just like Himes more than Otomes.
denerop
denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

https://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:40 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Yes! The fanservice is higher in Otome. :D Bonus for me! Just take a look at my avatar for an example. Remember the bath scene in the 3rd episode of Mai Otome Zwei? I rest my case. ^_^ Rosalie really stood out.

i think i missed your Rosalie avatar! i know who she is anyway and wasn't arika in that scene too? :33333 Melons!!!!
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Remember the bath scene in the 3rd episode of Mai Otome Zwei? I rest my case. ^_^ Rosalie really stood out.
Totally unnecessary episode. Except fanservice³²³²³²³³³²²³³²³³³²³³²²³ and some fight, which wasn't necessary, too, nothing happend o_O
Of course it was FUNNY, but I would have liked to see more story. I think they had to squeeze the rest of the STORY into the last episode.

No topic comment here, sorry XD
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Kino karutta-chan wrote:Totally unnecessary episode. Except fanservice³²³²³²³³³²²³³²³³³²³³²²³ and some fight, which wasn't necessary, too, nothing happend o_O
Of course it was FUNNY, but I would have liked to see more story. I think they had to squeeze the rest of the STORY into the last episode.

No topic comment here, sorry XD

I'm probably one of the few who really enjoyed Mai-Otome Zwei the whole way through. xD Yes, it was oddly paced with all of the story crammed into the 4th episode. *shrugs* Still enjoyed it! Arika and Nina's team up was worth the wait. :D
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Here's another reason Mai-Otome is better than Mai-HiME. It has sequels and prequels! I mean, so does HiME, but they're never animated which disappoints me. ^^;
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:27 am

It has Erstin? X3

But besides that, yeah the action was really nice and it had more random yuri scenes... though that's about it. Character wise, besides Erstin, I didn't really like any of the new cast like I did the HiME crew. =/
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 257
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Erstin was a welcome addition to the Mai-Multiverse. Still is, I never thought her character was irrelevant. It's just sad what happens to her eventually. ^^; But again, that was the spark that ignited the Arika/Nina feud.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:It's just sad what happens to her eventually. ^^;

Why'd ya have to remind me? ;-; *Goes to sulk in the corner*

But it doesn't really surprise me. All the characters that I REALLY like tend to meet the same fate... ;-; A lot of my friends have told me I'm not aloud to like anymore characters. DX Especially not after that AMV incident. ^^;;
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Kicchu wrote:Why'd ya have to remind me? ;-; *Goes to sulk in the corner*

But it doesn't really surprise me. All the characters that I REALLY like tend to meet the same fate... ;-; A lot of my friends have told me I'm not aloud to like anymore characters. DX Especially not after that AMV incident. ^^;;

I forgot if it was you, but aren't you a fan of Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi? If so, this...

All the characters that I REALLY like tend to meet the same fate...

...rings true. Sadly. 😢 What happened to Erstin surprised me since SUNRISE usually doesn't kill off characters. For long. I was expecting her to rise again. *sigh*
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Yes! I'm a HUGE fan of Nuriko! ;o; Still am! It was actually around his death that one of my friends told me I couldn't like anymore characters. ^^;; lol There's actually a funny story with this, too. Back in high school, that friend came to stay the weekend with me and my cousin came over, too. We were watching AMVs, mostly of shows we had never seen but might be interested in watching. My friend told me I couldn't like any characters in that show(on the current AMV) or anything she might watch. I decided to joke with her a bit and said, "Hmm.. Who will I like... How about HIM!" and as soon as I point at the AMV, the guy starts to get strangled. DX The timing couldn't have been more perfect and my friend made a face at me that made me fear for my life. ;-; My cousin just joked at how my 'power' was getting stronger. xD

------------

As for Erstin's death... I knew after she died that she wouldn't be coming back for one reason... I heard someone in the ANN forums mention that the characters that die in Otome don't come back, unlike HiME. I didn't know which characters were going to die until after I watched the show, though. ;-; Erssttiiiin! ;_________;

This is random, but I ran into one of my friends, that graduated last semester, today and found out that she has watched Mai-Otome! OoO She hasn't seen HiME yet ( or the Otome extras which she had a good laugh at when I explained a couple lol ) so she'll probably be joining us for a movie night once we establish what day we're gonna watch HiME, along with another one of my friends from class and my suitemates. ^^
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 am

XD Amusing story there, Kicchu. It's been so long since I had something like that happen with me. I had a friend once who was very overprotective over her characters. They weren't characters I liked anyway, so I couldn't tease her without dirtying myself lol

I find irony in the fact that characters don't come back in Otome. Mai-Otome is more fantasy based, while Mai-HiME is more rooted in reality. Shouldn't characters stay dead in a more reality based story? XD Something SUNRISE didn't think about I guess. While I miss Erstin, was her death necessary for the sake of story?

LOL She actually watched Mai-Otome first? Not like it matters, both are different universes. If she happens to become a huge mark for Mai-HiME, try inviting her here! I love you
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:00 pm

-raises hand- i also saw mai otome first, then hime.
the only thing i missed out on until recently was Zwei and S.ifr. : (
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
I find irony in the fact that characters don't come back in Otome. Mai-Otome is more fantasy based, while Mai-HiME is more rooted in reality. Shouldn't characters stay dead in a more reality based story? XD Something SUNRISE didn't think about I guess. While I miss Erstin, was her death necessary for the sake of story?

Maybe it was there way of balancing things out? XP Or maybe they just wanted to add more reality later on... I dunno. It might just be because they killed off most of the cast in HiME while Erstin was the only real important character that dies in Otome and they didn't feel the need to bring back just her and other virtually unknown/background characters. *sulks*

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
LOL She actually watched Mai-Otome first? Not like it matters, both are different universes. If she happens to become a huge mark for Mai-HiME, try inviting her here! I love you

I don't even think she knew of Mai-HiME until I mentioned it to her. xD But it's awesome that I found someone else who has watched something from it. Hahha, she's such an interesting person and we ended up talking a lot about random fanservice moments right in the middle of the parking lot as people were walking by. DX I doubt she'll wanna join a forum, though. She doesn't like posting or texting and stuff like that.

SpiderNekoHiME wrote:
-raises hand- i also saw mai otome first, then hime.

I still haven't watched Zwei or S.ifr. ;O; *cries*
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:42 pm

SpiderNeKoHiME wrote:-raises hand- i also saw mai otome first, then hime.

Now that S.ifr is coming to NA, you'll have a new opportunity to watch it! Just let me buy it and I'll let you watch it. ^_~ Ali-kitteh asked me what Lena would sound like, remember that? Lena did speak in the Mai-Otome dub, not much though. She may have a new V/As since it's been a few years since the dubs were done, so I don't if Bandai keeps replacing their V/A crew or not.

Kicchu wrote:Maybe it was there way of balancing things out? XP Or maybe they just wanted to add more reality later on... I dunno. It might just be because they killed off most of the cast in HiME while Erstin was the only real important character that dies in Otome and they didn't feel the need to bring back just her and other virtually unknown/background characters. *sulks*

The deaths in Mai-Otome from the top of my head were...

THOSE WHO'VE SEEN ALL OF MAI-OTOME ONLY:
Spoiler:

...two of these death set Arika and Nina's battle in motion. It was all a build up to their final battle in the end. If any of the important now-deceased characters were revived, it would destroy what was set in motion, story-wise. *hugs you* We all miss Erstin. :(

Kicchu wrote:I don't even think she knew of Mai-HiME until I mentioned it to her. xD But it's awesome that I found someone else who has watched something from it. Hahha, she's such an interesting person and we ended up talking a lot about random fanservice moments right in the middle of the parking lot as people were walking by. DX I doubt she'll wanna join a forum, though. She doesn't like posting or texting and stuff like that.

LOL Speaking of fanservice, many Mai-fans complain about the fanservice in Mai-Otome which is higher than HiME. Is there no sense of humor left in this world? Because I loved every minute of it. I'd rather not see a new Mai-series that is completely dry of humor. Okay, maybe I would still see it anyway since it's Mai, but come on, this series would be empty with some ecchi moments here and there. ^_^ I'm one of the few who favors filler episodes too, unless it belongs to a Shonen anime.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

The deaths in Mai-Otome from the top of my head were...

THOSE WHO'VE SEEN ALL OF MAI-OTOME ONLY:
Spoiler:

...two of these death set Arika and Nina's battle in motion. It was all a build up to their final battle in the end. If any of the important now-deceased characters were revived, it would destroy what was set in motion, story-wise. *hugs you* We all miss Erstin. :(

Spoiler:

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
LOL Speaking of fanservice, many Mai-fans complain about the fanservice in Mai-Otome which is higher than HiME. Is there no sense of humor left in this world? Because I loved every minute of it. I'd rather not see a new Mai-series that is completely dry of humor. Okay, maybe I would still see it anyway since it's Mai, but come on, this series would be empty with some ecchi moments here and there. ^_^ I'm one of the few who favors filler episodes too, unless it belongs to a Shonen anime.

lol I'm not much for fanservice myself. I definitely couldn't have watched this at home without my mom freaking out, either. However, that's not to say that I didn't find a lot of it quite funny. x3 I just am more drawn to dark stories than ecchi ones.
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Kicchu wrote:lol I'm not much for fanservice myself. I definitely couldn't have watched this at home without my mom freaking out, either. However, that's not to say that I didn't find a lot of it quite funny. x3 I just am more drawn to dark stories than ecchi ones.

I think Mai-Otome doesn't get much credit for having a good balance between ecchi and dark story. Granted the story isn't that dark compared to the second half of HiME, but it get really serious. SUNRISE knows how to return from the over-the-top silliness and concentrate on story. ^_^
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down