Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri?

+4
HiME-tfln
shezaei-neko
Darthtabby
Luu Sky Sapphire
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Empty Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri?

---

Ever watched/read a normal series like Shonen, a harem or mecha anime/manga that virtually contains NO yuri content in it? Yet, there's that ONE episode or chapter that tests the waters of the yuri/shoujo-ai genre. If you can know any scenes like that in any series, point them out here!

My contribution is from a harem/mecha series I'm currently watching called Muv Luv: Total Eclipse. In Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse episode 19, there's this very out of place scene where one of the technical team chicks is revealed to be a lesbian with quite an imagination. Her friend too. Both are attracted to the main female protagonist and Lieutenant, Yui Takamura:

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu10

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu11

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu12

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu10

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu11

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu12

Later on, the dark skinned lesbian character reveals she is also a pedobear. Informing Chobi that she should recite the typical uke girl cry when she enters a hot spring. A complete breaking of the 4th wall:

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu13

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu14

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Muv_lu15

^ In the last shot, she can be heard laughing in a very creepy manner. O_o;

---

So share, discuss, and rant! Gay Rainbow
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Empty Re: Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri?

Post by Darthtabby Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 am

As amused as I was by Niram's fantasy about Yui as a yuri pimp, Episode 19 is more or less one of those episodes I kind of pretend didn't happen when watching the more serious material that comes after. It's too ridiculous and unlike the earlier beach episodes it contributes little to the overall story.

That being said, since I found the scene so amusing I'm going to provide a transcription of it to fill in the gaps in Luu's screenshots:

Spoiler:

Of course part of what makes the scene so funny is that Yui is far, far, too bashful to be the kind of yuri pimp Niram imagines her as being in that fantasy.

Also, why the heck does Niram remind me of Chie?

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 88
Armitage GUTS!!! : 20

Back to top Go down

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Empty Re: Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Darthtabby wrote:
Also, why the heck does Niram remind me of Chie?

Well, they both have glasses and what I call the "f-uck me" eyes. GRANDE CHIE

Niram's imagination in that scene traveled to places I didn't think the series would dare to venture. Short, but sweet nonetheless. We get that Niram is a lesbian and has some kind of attraction for Yui. Don't blame her, but in a way, I would of liked to see this explored in another throw away filler episode. Just for shits and giggles. Wink

You're right. Yui is too bashful to be a pimp of any kind. That sense of innocence is what makes her special. She's the type that's meant to fall in love.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Darthtabby Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 pm

It might also be because Chie can be a bit of a perve too. In particular I'm thinking of that scene in Episode 21 where Aoi mentions being in the middle of a bath when she had to evacuate the dorm building and Chie says "Wow! Did you run out naked?!" in a rather enthusiastic fashion.

Could also have something to do with both characters being somewhat mischievious.

Slightly off topic, but if they ever did another throw away filler episode, I'd like to see some cheesy fantasy based on what some of the other characters imagine goes on when Yui and Yuuya are alone. Just as the idea of Yui as a yuri pimp is hilarious because its so out of line with her personality, the idea of Yuuya as a flower tongued casanova is hilarious because its so at odds with his personality. Razz

Darthtabby
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 88
Armitage GUTS!!! : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 am

Darthtabby wrote:It might also be because Chie can be a bit of a perve too. In particular I'm thinking of that scene in Episode 21 where Aoi mentions being in the middle of a bath when she had to evacuate the dorm building and Chie says "Wow! Did you run out naked?!" in a rather enthusiastic fashion.

Thanks for reminding me of that. Wink Needs to be my next video on Mai-Multiverse YouTube.

Darthtabby wrote:
Slightly off topic, but if they ever did another throw away filler episode, I'd like to see some cheesy fantasy based on what some of the other characters imagine goes on when Yui and Yuuya are alone. Just as the idea of Yui as a yuri pimp is hilarious because its so out of line with her personality, the idea of Yuuya as a flower tongued casanova is hilarious because its so at odds with his personality. Razz

To be perfectly honest, I'm surprise that particular episode doesn't exist. The supporting characters like Stella, Vincent, "Chobi" and "Macaroni" (=P) all gossip like no tomorrow over Yuuya and Yui throughout the series. Expand that aspect of the show and peer into their minds. It's a good excuse to show Yui and Yuuya go completely out of character in various ways. Not bad, Tabby. =p

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, I'm not sure if Fate/Stay Night as well as Fate/zero apply to this.

In Fate/Zero, there are some pics out these with Iri and Saber together, showing Iri quite fond of Saber.

And in Fate/Stay Night, in different scenarios of the game. One can see Rider quite fond of Sakura. And also Rin providing Saber some mana.
This one is a series based on an ero game, but it's shounen. So, there's a point in which you wish it leads you in the other way...
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:Well, I'm not sure if Fate/Stay Night as well as Fate/zero apply to this.

In Fate/Zero, there are some pics out these with Iri and Saber together, showing Iri quite fond of Saber.

And in Fate/Stay Night, in different scenarios of the game. One can see Rider quite fond of Sakura. And also Rin providing Saber some mana.
This one is a series based on an ero game, but it's shounen. So, there's a point in which you wish it leads you in the other way...

I'm not very knowledgeable about Fate/Stay Night. Like a lot of female dominated anime series, it seems like a yuri series on the surface. Every DVD, CD and figure artworks always feature the girls first and foremost. You can't necessarily blame me here. :)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by HiME-tfln Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
I'm not very knowledgeable about Fate/Stay Night. Like a lot of female dominated anime series, it seems like a yuri series on the surface. Every DVD, CD and figure artworks always feature the girls first and foremost. You can't necessarily blame me here. :)

Fate/Stay Night is actually a harem anime with a male lead, but I understand what you're getting at, with tons of female characters there are going to be some yuri moments. Fate was actually a surprise for me, I wasn't expecting any yuri from it, my personal favourite is
Spoiler:

One anime that fits into this really well is Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, it's a pretty complicated series with a ton of characters so I won't get too much into the plot. But there is a canon yuri pairing in the show, what makes it amazing is there was no episode focusing on their relationship, no fan service surrounding them, and characters didn't treat them any differently, they were just two girls in love, no explanation needed.
HiME-tfln
HiME-tfln
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 39
Armitage GUTS!!! : 17

http://mai-hime-tfln.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Kaleido Star could fool you too.

It's obvious that some of the characthers have some yuri tendencies.
I'll explain more of them later... Razz

shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by depression76 Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

In the anime Vandread, lots of girls are yuri. One pair even have a kid together, and the other canon pair are in an open relationship with one half flirting after a guy for her mecha's sake and one half is an artillery nutter.

Totally did not expect yuri from this anime when I first watched it. I am so glad I ran into this. Deff worth the watch. Old anime tho.

Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? 40dd0008-f27d
Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? JuraBarnette1
Shoujo-ai/Yuri sightings in a series that wasn't meant to be Yuri? Normal_barnette_jura

depression76
depression76
White Devil Worshiper
White Devil Worshiper

Bubuzuke points : 7627
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1396

http://daydreamwiththedragon.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 am

That's hawt. I'll have to watch it. Razz
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by SulliMike23 Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:42 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:That's hawt. I'll have to watch it. Razz
Trust me, it's fun to watch.
SulliMike23
SulliMike23
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 959
Armitage GUTS!!! : 281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:11 pm

HiME-tfln wrote:
Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

Fate/Stay Night is actually a harem anime with a male lead, but I understand what you're getting at, with tons of female characters there are going to be some yuri moments. Fate was actually a surprise for me, I wasn't expecting any yuri from it, my personal favourite is
Spoiler:

One anime that fits into this really well is Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, it's a pretty complicated series with a ton of characters so I won't get too much into the plot. But there is a canon yuri pairing in the show, what makes it amazing is there was no episode focusing on their relationship, no fan service surrounding them, and characters didn't treat them any differently, they were just two girls in love, no explanation needed.

You sold me on Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, I was able to score the 2011 anime series. When I'm done watching it (and the supposed second season), I'll give my thoughts on this yuri couple. Gay Rainbow
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 pm

I'd have to go with Ga-Rei and Ga-Rei Zero, half the time i couldn't tell whether Yomi and Kagura were friends or a couple 0-0. It actually pissed me off a little because it felt like the guy who wrote it couldn't make up his mind. I mean they even smooched and had lots of moments with a bit of lesbian undertones in them, but in the end Yomi dies getting the sister treatment and Kagura goes off with Ken...wtf man
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2588
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442

http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 pm

midori's crazy398 wrote:I'd have to go with Ga-Rei and Ga-Rei Zero, half the time i couldn't tell whether Yomi and Kagura were friends or a couple 0-0. It actually pissed me off a little because it felt like the guy who wrote it couldn't make up his mind. I mean they even smooched and had lots of moments with a bit of lesbian undertones in them, but in the end Yomi dies getting the sister treatment and Kagura goes off with Ken...wtf man

I'm not too knowledgeable on Ga-Rei, despite it being a continuation of the more popular Ga-Rei Zero. Before I starting watching Ga-Rei Zero (a great series btw), everyone on the forum informed me that things don't become yuri again in the sequel manga. The yuri aspect of the series was only introduced through Yomi and Kagura (Ayame and Kiri as well. My personal OTP)

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
midori's crazy398 wrote:I'd have to go with Ga-Rei and Ga-Rei Zero, half the time i couldn't tell whether Yomi and Kagura were friends or a couple 0-0. It actually pissed me off a little because it felt like the guy who wrote it couldn't make up his mind. I mean they even smooched and had lots of moments with a bit of lesbian undertones in them, but in the end Yomi dies getting the sister treatment and Kagura goes off with Ken...wtf man

I'm not too knowledgeable on Ga-Rei, despite it being a continuation of the more popular Ga-Rei Zero. Before I starting watching Ga-Rei Zero (a great series btw), everyone on the forum informed me that things don't become yuri again in the sequel manga. The yuri aspect of the series was only introduced through Yomi and Kagura (Ayame and Kiri as well. My personal OTP)

I don't know if it was just me then but I felt like Ga-Rei had some stuff going on with Kagura and Yomi, but if not there then you can definitely count Zero as having Yuri
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:29 pm

midori's crazy398 wrote:
I don't know if it was just me then but I felt like Ga-Rei had some stuff going on with Kagura and Yomi, but if not there then you can definitely count Zero as having Yuri

I guess you could spoil me a bit then. How much yuri subtext actually surfaces during the Ga-Rei manga?
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:49 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
midori's crazy398 wrote:

I guess you could spoil me a bit then. How much yuri subtext actually surfaces during the Ga-Rei manga?

Well first it must be said that Zero is a prologue setup for the manga, so once you see it then you get the picture of what Yomi and Kagura's relationship was like before she died (the first time >_>). Anyway, when you dive into the manga I remember one of the Yuri feels scenes to be the one where a new girl appears who looks just like Yomi, and Kagura was hit with a feeling of guilt and loss, wishing she did more with Yomi when she was first alive, and there was a chapter where all the mains go to a waterpark I believe, and Kagura thinks about how nice this Yomi lookalike looks and that she would have loved to have gone to where they were with Yomi. As she is thinking this, another voice, presumably Yomi's (I'm a little rusty since I finished this manga back in 8th grade) tells her "you really miss me don't you? She looks just like me, she treats you like I did, being with her reminds you of our time together right? Can you even tell us apart?" after which Kagura feels sad upon the thoughts of the past and Yomi's human self. Then there was another, more critical moment when Yomi's soul fuses with her lookalike and said lookalike gets put under lockdown for analysis despite her gentle and beneviolent behavior. Though she is told not to do so at the risk of becoming an enemy of the paranormal organization, and thus hunted to the ends of the earth, Kagura breaks "Yomi" out of her prison and runs off with her to hide simply because she didn't think "Yomi" was evil and shouldn't be locked away, and because she missed Yomi with all her heart. There is one final reason but I will say it's major spoils, however for the sake of argument I'll say what it is. Basically at the end when the bad guy gets taken out, Kagura spends so much of her strength that she is on the verge of her soul tearing apart, and if it does then she can never be brought back under any circumstances. To prevent this, the purified soul of Yomi decides to sacrifice her very existence to save Kagura by merging herself with the remains of Kagura's soul. Kagura is saved, and after realizing what her life cost she is sad but is still glad to know that now Yomi will always be with her forever. So based on all of the above, i personally feel that there may have been some love beyond sisterhood going on here, i mean, sacrificing your very soul and existence sounded a lot like something out of Kannazuki no Miko to me, though of course their feels weren't as obvious as Himeko and Chikane.
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Okay, I'm convinced now. The manga came first correct? Yet it doesn't really write off Yomi, she serves as a memory for Kagura. Thanks for the information, Midori! I found a website where the Ga Rei manga is still floating around, so I'll begin downloading now.

However, there is just one question left. Feel free to spoil me on this too. Remember the Nagi kid who made Yomi turn evil in the first place? The one responsible for all the Category ghosts? PLEASE tell me he finally gets his ass kicked and killed in the Gai Rei manga. Better if Kagura is the one who kills him, as indirect revenge for Yomi.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Okay, I'm convinced now. The manga came first correct? Yet it doesn't really write off Yomi, she serves as a memory for Kagura. Thanks for the information, Midori! I found a website where the Ga Rei manga is still floating around, so I'll begin downloading now.

However, there is just one question left. Feel free to spoil me on this too. Remember the Nagi kid who made Yomi turn evil in the first place? The one responsible for all the Category ghosts? PLEASE tell me he finally gets his ass kicked and killed in the Gai Rei manga. Better if Kagura is the one who kills him, as indirect revenge for Yomi.

I have to re read it but he does get an ass beating, by either Kagura or Ken
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm

midori's crazy398 wrote:

Good. Not killing him in Gai Rei Zero was the biggest definition of "unfinished business" possible. The joke's on me in the end as I didn't find out the series was merely a prequel months later. XD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
midori's crazy398 wrote:

Good. Not killing him in Gai Rei Zero was the biggest definition of "unfinished business" possible. The joke's on me in the end as I didn't find out the series was merely a prequel months later. XD

xD lol, it's ok, I thought the same thing till I saw a YouTube comment saying there was more. Zero was a little better than Ga-Rei in certain character and story elements, and vice versa. It's up to you to decide which is better of course, but I'll tell you right now, Ken is going to be a bit annoying >_>

http://www.mangareader.net/306-21333-2/ga-rei/chapter-35.html

And here is some Kagura and "Yomi" fan service... :D
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I have to agree with Midori here.
That whole sacrificing and soul merging leads to think that these two were much more.
I mean, Kagura defied the organization to protect Yomi!!

And about that Nagi-double creepy guy...I don't really remember that they did kill him in the manga...I'll have to check again...but not re-read it. It was hell for me reading that perv Ken or whatever the main character was...

Last edited by shezaei-neko on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:And about that Nagi-double creepy guy...I don't really remember that they did kill him in the manga...I'll have to check again...but not re-read it. It was hell for me reading that perv Ken or whateber the main character was...
[/color]

Please find out for me ahead of time, he must pay for what he did to Yomi. I'm only a few chapters in and nothing yet. The manga is interesting, but not the same as it's anime prequel. Zero should of been a one shot story.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by PuppyHaru Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 am

no one mentioned that moment in rosario+vampire where Kurumuru kissed mizorie

so i'll mention it XD

Spoiler:

and then there's host club where Haruhi accedently kisses a girl (there's also the zuka club which is filled with lesbians XD)

Spolier:

Ps. Haruhi is a girl disguised as a guy (well actually haruhi is a lot like me in which she doesn't care what gender she is perceived as)
PuppyHaru
PuppyHaru
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 172
Armitage GUTS!!! : 49
Location : Australia, otherwise check for a note I left on the fridge!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next