Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

5 posters

Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by shezaei-neko Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 pm

*throws pokeball* Psyduck! I choose you!! psyduck
Now that I'm out of that pokeball, I want to recommend an anime that in my opinion is sooo undestimated due to the overload of fan-service: Strike Witches.

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... 9830_strike_witches

Strike Witches is one of those strange jewels to me.
Once you go deeper and deeper on it's universe, you simply can't draw back with the ammount of material and subtle details it has.
I'll focus more in the anime here. Since there's more out there of this particular series like: light novels, official doujinshi, manga, a movie and even videogames. Each having it's own cast and story in the same universe.

Strike Witches is based mostly in stuff from the World War II with a twist.
In this universe (which is a basically the earth with some slight modifications), the world and humanity is threatened by an alien invasion. To fight it off girls (with specific characteristics) fight them off using a 'Strike Unit'; which is a pair of legs modeled out of airplanes that are impulsed by the magic power each girl posses. The girls with such magical power are called witches. So, these girls wearing the strike unit and armed only with common fire weaponry fight off the alines to recover territories already takes and end once and for all this menace.

I really can't quite remember how I came across this series, but once I put the fan-service aside, I find myself enjoying it quite a lot.
I liked the characters, animation, music and as I said previously, the adaptations from real stuff to the anime. The female cast of this series is based in real ace pilots from World War. The names of ships, operations and other stuff are also based in real ones.
I must say that my favorite real reference used in the series is the use of the song Lili Marleen.
If you are a war/military geek then you'll enjoy it for sure.
Also the cast is wonderful. It just give it extra points.

Now you may be wondering....well, yeah, all that sound cool but where is the yuri in this?
You should know that the yuri fandom shipping different couples from this series is quite big. The subtext can be seen perfectly with the way the characters interact with each other. Even there are some episodes that may show some parings as canon if you may.
Even if it is not confirmed in the official guides, some fans just take it as official (well, at least I do. Razz)
Although in the anime is not official, there are other pairings in the other media that have been declared canon.

I don't think it's possible to cover all the SW universe in just one post. But I do hope you give this series a chance. Remember that looks may be deceiving.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Re: Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by ookamidesu Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:34 pm

I remember watching this a long time ago, so it is by no means fresh in my mind anymore.

From what I can remember, it was a fairly good anime. I liked the universe that was created around it, but of course, fanservice turned me off. I couldn't understand why strike witches couldnt wear shorts... or skirts... always flying around in panties. >.>;;

In any case, aside from that, the story and delivery of plot was well-down. I'd watch it again... maybe i should. >.>;
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Strike Witches, subtext is in the air... Empty Re: Strike Witches, subtext is in the air...

Post by SpiralDasher Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 am

I watched this on recommendation from a friend. It had action in it so I was was satisfied. ~w~ I really like the girl with the katana and it was sad to see what happened to her. =( I look forward to watching the movie though. =)

My favorite character was probably the blonde girl with the mounted cannon. <3 She was adorable.
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 am

SpiralDasher wrote:I watched this on recommendation from a friend. It had action in it so I was was satisfied. ~w~ I really like the girl with the katana and it was sad to see what happened to her. =( I look forward to watching the movie though. =)

My favorite character was probably the blonde girl with the mounted cannon. <3 She was adorable.

My favorite character was the girl with the katana. :3
She's so cool. XD
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Her name is Sakamoto Mio.
Voiced in the first season by no other than Saeko Chiba.

The name rings your bell? Of course it would, she's our beloved cool bad-ass tsundere biker Kuga Natsuki and the all-mighty Gakuenchou, Kruger Natsuki.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 am

shezaei-neko wrote:Her name is Sakamoto Mio.
Voiced in the first season by no other than Saeko Chiba.

The name rings your bell? Of course it would, she's our beloved cool bad-ass tsundere biker Kuga Natsuki and the all-mighty Gakuenchou, Kruger Natsuki.

Ah yes! Sakamoto Mio-sama! I am shamed for not remembering her name. >.>;
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Since we're talking about yuri subtext, I have to mention Mio x Minna and Lynette x Yoshika, both of which get a giant thumbs up from me. I loved SW, it's amazing underneath the fan service, which i started to care less and less about with all the fights, drama, and comedy (unless it was shoved in my face, then i felt a little uncomfortable, with the exception of the Lucchini moments and S1 ep 7 and S2 ep 7, those episodes are classic xD) I've seen the whole series from season 1 to the movie, and i cant wait for the new season thats confirmed to come out after another series the team is working on called Vivid Red Operation ends. LUCCHINI FOR THE WIN! xD
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2588
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442

http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PuppyHaru Thu May 29, 2014 9:05 am

I practically adored this anime the yuri suptext and the fact that there furries when the use there power XD Mio x Minna are my favorite ship since they act like a mother and father to the rest of the strike witches. Eila x Sanya is pretty much canon too XD gertrude x Erica is adoriable (tsundere trude XD)

Ps. for those who don't know season 3 of strike witches has been confirmed
 Feels 
PuppyHaru
PuppyHaru
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 172
Armitage GUTS!!! : 49
Location : Australia, otherwise check for a note I left on the fridge!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down