Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

+2
shezaei-neko
LyriumEidolon
6 posters

Go down

Yu-Gi-Oh discussion Empty Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

Post by LyriumEidolon Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:18 am

Aside from Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome, the Yugioh series (mainly original and 5Ds) are my other favourite anime, yet I can't help but feel that there are things there worth examining and discussing, like the direction the shows have taken/are taking, or the mechanics of the Duel Monsters card game. So, it's time to t-t-t-t-talk!

I'll start things off. Draw!

It could just be me, but I think 5Ds could have been quite interesting (not that it isn't as it stands) had it gone on for a few more seasons and explored more scenarios that the Signers could have encountered (esp Leo/Rua who was made one near the end of the second season). I think ending after only two seasons was a little short, especially considering that their predecessors ran for at least four.

By going first, I can't attack in the opening turn, so I won't mention how 4Kids kinda fucked things up (especially with 5Ds) or the fact that, in my mind, ZEXAL never really existed. Turn End.

(Quick side-note, don't worry about the 'Draw' part or the 'Attack' parts of this post. I was just looking for a unique way to start this thread)
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 331
Armitage GUTS!!! : 59

Back to top Go down

Yu-Gi-Oh discussion Empty Re: Yu-Gi-Oh discussion

Post by shezaei-neko Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:54 pm

I watched also the 4kids version. And even if they do mess things up many times. I kind of enjoyed this series.
It also makes card dueling look easier than it is. And IMO far more entertaining. XD

Maybe I'll tray to watch the japanese version to fully enjoy it.
But I can say that I love the cards. Some monsters and such are really cool!
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LyriumEidolon Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Glad to hear it. I also quite like some of the monsters. A few personal favorites of mine were the Earthbound Gods and Temporal Machine Gods of 5Ds. I've even thought up a few monster concepts of my own, and I've tried to recreate them in card form, but just lack the artwork (and ability to create said artwork)

Also, if you do find someplace that has the original Japanese Yugioh (esp 5Ds) can you let me know? For some reason, I've found that when I tried to watch them on one particular site (maybe even more than one iirc), they were replaced by the dubbed episodes, and that's always grated on my nerves in the sense that you wanted something, you were promised that something, but behind your back they replaced it with something else.

The first Yugioh I watched was the original Yugioh dubbed by 4kids, and I also found it quite enjoyable then. Some of the villains were quite cool. Looking back now, I think Yami Marik was interesting to watch, and is it just me, or would Dartz have made a great Obsidian Lord in the Mai Hime universe? Sure, this particular Yugioh that I watched then was the 4kids dub, but this was before I encountered the online word about 4kids and their censorship. I think it's probably the only one of the Yugioh series that I would consider watching the English dub again. As for 5Ds, I'm pretty happy with original Japanese.
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:28 pm

I'm not quite sure if here in my country they aired the whole thing.
Still, it was nice watching it.

I must confess that I wanted to get the Dark Magician Girl once it came out, but the price for the card was ridiculous! So I never got it.
And just a couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of Yu-Gi-Oh packs (those that have like 5 cards), and I was lucky to get some very rare cards. I got Odin, which of course rocks!
I don't play them, but I like to stare at them. XD

shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by franticfranz Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:54 am

I enjoyed Yu-gi-oh! Duel Monsters a lot. I even play the card game with my brother. I only stopped watching when GX came out. I guess I just didn't like Judai Yuki and the way some cards worked.

shezaei-neko wrote:I must confess that I wanted to get the Dark Magician Girl once it came out, but the price for the card was ridiculous! So I never got it.
You, too, huh? That card was too damn expensive.
franticfranz
franticfranz
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2192
Armitage GUTS!!! : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 pm

It was!!
I'm tempted to get it now, since I believe the price of cards has dropped considerably over the years.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by LyriumEidolon Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Just wondering: I saw that there's a new Yugioh Series, 'Arc V' I think. Anyone know anything about it? To be quite honest, I was kinda skeptical after a brief look at Zexal, but do you think I should maybe give the new series a try?
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 pm

LyriumEidolon wrote:Just wondering: I saw that there's a new Yugioh Series, 'Arc V' I think. Anyone know anything about it? To be quite honest, I was kinda skeptical after a brief look at Zexal, but do you think I should maybe give the new series a try?
Personally, I still need to watch Arc-V, so I can't tell you whether it's worth your time or not. In general though, I do think you should give Arc-V a try before you decide not to watch it. I don't have much information to give about the series, though the main protagonist for Arc-V does seem interesting. Let me also tell you that the first episode of Arc-V is not impressive and probably isn't going to give you a decent feel for the series overall. I would watch maybe 3-5 episodes before you make your final judgment about Arc-V.
Lerena
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3771
Armitage GUTS!!! : 558
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulEaterHaruhis0s Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:58 pm

I can personally say the OG series is the one I'm fond of most having grown up with it and I used to collect the cards then. I had a mish mash of spellcasters, dragons, and female monsters (like the Harpies). Loved playing the card game but fell out of it for a while.

I am big into the Silent Shipping (Priest Seto and Kisara) and Polar Shipping (aka Joey/Jonouichi and Mai) and impartial to Yugi & Tea/Anzu (don't mind this pairing much besides Atem is gone by the end of the series anyway). Atem, Anzu (yes, I don't mind her friendship speeches which were mostly exaggerated thanks to 4kids!), Seto Kaiba, Mai, and Jonouichi were my favorites. Pegasus, Yami Bakura and Yami Marik were my favorite villains - heheheh their creepy and crazy personalities were easy for me to get behind! >:D

Didn't mind the 4kids voices much initially, but can tell they goofed and dumbed the show's translation. I loved the original to bits until it ended and stuck around with GX. Although I admit it was hard saying goodbye to the old cast, Jaden and co. took a while for me to get attached to.

To my surprise, 5Ds turned out to be favorite quality-wise. Although the original is my childhood fave, 5Ds is the one that upped the ante in darkness and more stakes being involved. I loved the main cast in this show; Jack being my favorite Signer. It was also my first exposure to the Japanese dub of Yugioh and thus I'm more partial to that than the English dub (hated how 4Kids tried to end it! They skipped out on the last arc! Jerks!). And thus when that ended, I didn't give Zexal much of a chance. I fell out of Yugioh by that point and mostly read fanfics based on the series along with crossovers (including one written by a friend of mine).

Is Zexal any good? I maybe want to give it a chance as well as Arc-V.
SoulEaterHaruhis0s
SoulEaterHaruhis0s
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 156
Armitage GUTS!!! : 57

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1452642/Haruhi_Suzumiya_s0s

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:31 am

I honestly love all of Yugioh

I hated Zexal for a long time, but never really gave it a chance, when I did I loved it (though Yuma is no where near my favorite character)

GX is a part of my childhood, and while large sections of it are subpar I do enjoy it as a whole

5D's is my 2nd favorite series, I fell in love with the cast and the threats and the Dark Signer arc is one of my favorite in all of Yugioh

The Original series will always be my favorite, no questions asked

as for Arc V, so far so good...though I hate this current quiz show duel we are in...though the overarching plot has me entranced
Midori Sugiura
Midori Sugiura
High Priest Brony of Midori-ism
High Priest Brony of Midori-ism

Bubuzuke points : 3743
Armitage GUTS!!! : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down