Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome?

+30
IlliterateKoi
Kuga Natsuki
Hohoemu
BMeph
hildebrant
roxas <3 Arika Yumemiya
GAP
MidnightPersona
GhibliFreek
Veronica-Searrs
SulliMike23
Highman
ookamidesu
MissSoccerNinja
Sergay Tate
she-ga-roo
SpiralDasher
Cheshire Kat
Lerena
firesphere306
Ice Silver Crystal
AtlantisLux
Acid Raw
Kino karutta-chan
Kara
Kicchu
Midori Sugiura99
denerop
SpiderNeKoHiME
Luu Sky Sapphire
34 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome? Empty How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat May 01, 2010 1:00 pm

How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome? PDVD_032

For the longest time after Sailor Moon, I've been desperately looking for the next big all-female super heroine team. Around when magical girls were given their 2nd chance on mainstream U.S./Canada TV, I had a chance to experiment with a few different series'. Mew Mew Power (which I've seen long before it arrived, as Tokyo Mew Mew), The Winx Club (an Italian magical girl series) and W.I.T.C.H. (yet another Italian magical girl series, but unlike Winx it was dark).

While each of these shows were good in their own way, they didn't match up to Sailor Moon. Memorable villains? Nope. Memorable music? Nope. Likable main heroine? Nope. None of these shows could dazzle me like Sailor Moon did, that is until I discovered the first Mai HiME (known as My-HiME on my shores) episode on Anime Suki in the mid 2000s.

I was hooked from the first episode. It started out subtle, getting a little introduction from everyone including our main heroine Mai Tokiha. Then it quickly escalated to an all out brawl between a beautiful blue haired maiden (we'll get to that VERY shortly) and a sword wielding girl that was found nearly drowned at the beginning.Immediately, my brain goes into a frenzy as I'm amazed by the beauty of the blue haired girl and the skills of the sword wielding girl. We then discover Mai has powers of her own and once they land at the world renowned Fuka Academy, everything skyrockets.

The series had girls with fierce powers, the classic Monster-of-the-day formula (which evolves into something much more) , and an interesting plot going on.Most of all, it had character development! VERY important in my book. [:wink:]

Discuss your first experience with Mai HiME and why it kicks so much arse. Sea barse.

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome? Empty Re: How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome?

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Mon May 03, 2010 11:16 am

]Spanks you for mailing all my replies! -salutes-]

overall, it's a really good story. the kind you can relate to on a personal level.

You sir, are correct about everything. Character development is key. id say my spider vixen was full of character -yessss-
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome? Empty Re: How and when did you first discover Mai HiME/Otome?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue May 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Nao is awesome, but I don't like her as much as the other HiME. Razz I had the guts to say that to your face, remember? You threw a nasty left hook, just make sure you hit target next time. ^_- LOL

I can see where Nao is coming from, but she took it way too far. Shizuru taught her a good lesson. 👅 j/k, that's where I drew the line as well. Shizuru went psycho Regina George even worse, but her reasonings were forgiven in the end. Wink
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop Sun May 09, 2010 5:59 am

I love watching vids on youtube, and i found a clip completely about nao. It was one awesome vid, and i decided to look that anime up. Mai Hime, they said it was called. I saw a lot of vids, but couldn't find the anime yet.
Untill i landed on a site with all kind of animes and i saw 'Mai Hime'. then, i decided to go watch it and loved it :D
denerop
denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

https://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun May 09, 2010 12:06 pm

XD A lot of HiME and Otome fans I run into got introduced through AMVs. It's more common than I thought. I always thought the majority of anime fans stay away from AMVs since they're a "dime a dozen". Eh, I'm thinking way too much.

Cool little discovery story, Mai HiME is a great series. It only got better over the years. ^_^
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 am

amvs are a dime a dozen...anyone can make a bloody amv these days...but that's okay. Good and easy way to get into anime....:3
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue May 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah, I have no problem with AMVs. Did you know that, like the fanfics, most ShizNat fans were introduced via AMVs. A lot of the ones I've met on YT don't seem to care about the Mai HiME series *sob* Just ShizNat. I guess that's a taste of my own medicine, as I don't really like Inuyasha as a whole. Just my beloved Kagura and perhaps two other characters. xD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura99 Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Welp, as I said in the other thread, I've been a fan of this series for about a month now. I had heard of it a few years ago, and I had watched the first couple eps but I didn't really get into it. I don't entirely know why XD I think I got distracted by some other form of shinyness.

But then Luu suggested I should watch it, and I totally trust his judgement on anime so I thought I'd give it a shot! And now I am a total fan.

There are many reasons I love this show. The characters are amazing. Even the characters with not much character development kick the asses of a bunch of characters in other anime without much character development. Did that make sense? I'm going to pretend it made sense XDD The plot arcs were also so interesting. Even when depressing it totally kept my attention. I don't think I was ever bored watching this series.
Midori Sugiura99
Midori Sugiura99
Asami Hikaru aka Komu
Asami Hikaru aka Komu

Bubuzuke points : 4714
Armitage GUTS!!! : 913

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Midori Sugiura wrote:Welp, as I said in the other thread, I've been a fan of this series for about a month now. I had heard of it a few years ago, and I had watched the first couple eps but I didn't really get into it. I don't entirely know why XD I think I got distracted by some other form of shinyness.

But then Luu suggested I should watch it, and I totally trust his judgement on anime so I thought I'd give it a shot! And now I am a total fan.

There are many reasons I love this show. The characters are amazing. Even the characters with not much character development kick the asses of a bunch of characters in other anime without much character development. Did that make sense? I'm going to pretend it made sense XDD The plot arcs were also so interesting. Even when depressing it totally kept my attention. I don't think I was ever bored watching this series.

Haha, how did I miss this one. XD Whatever "shinyness" distracted you must of been Zuka related. ;P I'm so glad you got into the series. Mai HiME has a strong and devoted fanbase, albeit a small one compared to other series like Naruto. It's one of there best out there, mainly because of the characters you can easily relate to. The relationships are my favorite part of the series. ^_^
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Midori Sugiura99 Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Mmm... shiny Zuka craaaaacck. *drools* I mean... yes. The relationships are definitely another favorite part of the series for me too. Well especially since the whole plot depends on relationships and they didn't Fuka it up :D
Midori Sugiura99
Midori Sugiura99
Asami Hikaru aka Komu
Asami Hikaru aka Komu

Bubuzuke points : 4714
Armitage GUTS!!! : 913

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Midori Sugiura wrote:Mmm... shiny Zuka craaaaacck. *drools* I mean... yes. The relationships are definitely another favorite part of the series for me too. Well especially since the whole plot depends on relationships and they didn't Fuka it up :D

I agree there. Everything was kept on a nice balance throughout the series. The only problem is not giving certain relationship more time to blossom on screen. i.e. Akane and Kazuya. I love you
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kicchu Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

Ehehe... I'm another one of those people introduced to the series through YouTube. ^^; I had heard of it before on ANN, but, for some reason, I thought it was just another fan-service series so I disregarded it for a few years. The AMVs made me realize that it had more substance than that and when I found it on Buy.com for only $27 and free shipping, I decided to take a chance and buy the series on a whim. x3 Just like Luu, I was addicted from ep 1. ^^
Kicchu
Kicchu
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 257
Armitage GUTS!!! : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:36 am

I found Mai-HiME through it's manga counterpart on OneManga. My sister showed it to me and said it was good and I asked her, "Did you read it?"

"Nope." Was her answer, and then she explained that she had seen the first few episodes and skipped to the end. She really makes no sense, but I read it anyway and decided to take her word for it. And then I was hooked.

So I decided to move onto the anime, which I thought would've been close to the same but was more or less completely different and it was there that I finally realized Shizuru was a lesbian and thus ShizNat became my favorite couple.

I like it because...well...I don't know. It's one of those animes where you watch and you see a bunch of stuff you saw in other animes and then you feel nerdy because you got that. But I really think HiME took all that stuff an made it more original. You know what I mean?
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Kara wrote:I like it because...well...I don't know. It's one of those animes where you watch and you see a bunch of stuff you saw in other animes and then you feel nerdy because you got that. But I really think HiME took all that stuff an made it more original. You know what I mean?

The dark second half of Mai-HIME can be blamed for that. The first half felt like your typical monster-of-the-day set up. However, it did advance plot and characters which many anime have trouble doing. To accomplish all that within a 26 episode span is quite a feat. ^_~
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:19 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Kara wrote:I like it because...well...I don't know. It's one of those animes where you watch and you see a bunch of stuff you saw in other animes and then you feel nerdy because you got that. But I really think HiME took all that stuff an made it more original. You know what I mean?

The dark second half of Mai-HIME can be blamed for that. The first half felt like your typical monster-of-the-day set up. However, it did advance plot and characters which many anime have trouble doing. To accomplish all that within a 26 episode span is quite a feat. ^_~

*gasp* YES! Exactly! Omigosh, you sir, are ingenious.
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Kara wrote:*gasp* YES! Exactly! Omigosh, you sir, are ingenious.

*bows* Thank you, thank you. Why am I so damn good at deciphering explanations. 8)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:05 am

So. Finally a repost~

I can't remember what my first "touch" with Mai HiME was, but I remember that I watched some vid on youtube from epi 1 and 2 (I think), when Natsuki and Mikoto fighting with each other. Well, I knew Natsuki, because I saw fanarts about her and Shizuru (first experience with them Razz) and thought, that Mikoto was "on the dark side" XDDDD Next thing I remember was this AMV... I got spoiled like hell XDD Then... no idea, lol. Whatever, I really enjoyed watching it for the first time (and for the other times, too ^_^)
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by denerop Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 am

what amv did you see? do you remember? ^^
i watched one of nao, not much spoilers in there.
(altough i tought that Nao was the abosolute bad guy who was going to be defeated by the main characters ^^)
denerop
denerop
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 704
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

https://www.youtube.com/user/darklinege

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Kino karutta-chan wrote:So. Finally a repost~

I can't remember what my first "touch" with Mai HiME was, but I remember that I watched some vid on youtube from epi 1 and 2 (I think), when Natsuki and Mikoto fighting with each other. Well, I knew Natsuki, because I saw fanarts about her and Shizuru (first experience with them Razz) and thought, that Mikoto was "on the dark side" XDDDD Next thing I remember was this AMV... I got spoiled like hell XDD Then... no idea, lol. Whatever, I really enjoyed watching it for the first time (and for the other times, too ^_^)

lol Aside from AMV introductions, the fanarts really captured people's attention in the mid-2000s. I honestly never ran into the fanarts until after watching episode one. I would see Natsuki with this other girl and my mind would start pondering...turns out there was something between them. ^_~ As we already know.

Mikoto on the dark side? Haha, talk about foreshadowing the festival arc...

denerop wrote:what amv did you see? do you remember? ^^
i watched one of nao, not much spoilers in there.
(altough i tought that Nao was the abosolute bad guy who was going to be defeated by the main characters ^^)

What's what I thought of Miyu and Alyssa. ^_~ At first, I was expecting the Searrs Foundation to have a pretty long career. And they would of, if Mai HiME remained a monster-of-the-day anime. The Festival arc changed everything. Nao, I thought of her the anti-heroine once she joined up with the HiME Rangers. xD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Acid Raw Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:08 pm

I was introduced to Mai-HiME by an AMV.
a guy in my class in college bluetoothed it to my mate who then sent it to me
(I wonder if I still have it, doubt it). It started out with Natsuki doing her little twirl with her guns before she calls Duran. The music for it was Nickelback's "Hero" which suited it perfectly. I just fell in love with it, though the vid file wasn't named Mai-HiME so I didn't know what the anime was for ages. Happy as he'll that I found the name cause Mai-HiME was the first anime series I've ever watched and is still the one I love the most I love you
Acid Raw
Acid Raw
Mai's Sugar Daddy
Mai's Sugar Daddy

Bubuzuke points : 208
Armitage GUTS!!! : 81

http://www.acidraw.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 pm

:D Thanks for sharing your background story, Acid! Many fans discover their favorite anime/manga series through AMVs it seems, especially Mai-HiME/Otome. We can blame the heaps of ShizNat music videos. ;p
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm

A friend of mine introduced me to this awesome series. She told me about the whole Hime Carnival, and these girls fighting with giant robots with the life of their most precious ones at a stake. I was immediately hooked by the idea and downloaded the series that very day. I think that friend later regretted her suggestion because I forced her to read all of my fanfics! XD
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 155
Armitage GUTS!!! : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:17 pm

AtlantisLux wrote:A friend of mine introduced me to this awesome series. She told me about the whole Hime Carnival, and these girls fighting with giant robots with the life of their most precious ones at a stake. I was immediately hooked by the idea and downloaded the series that very day. I think that friend later regretted her suggestion because I forced her to read all of my fanfics! XD

xD Not that reading your fanfiction is a painful experience or anything. :3 *tease*

Have you posted your stories in our Fan Works section yet? Or do I have to log onto ff.net and spam reviews? -_-
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Aww, nope, I've yet to post my despicable works here. Soon, I promise ^^

(teaser!!!!!!! 8) )
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 155
Armitage GUTS!!! : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:05 pm

I first discovered it when i visited my girlfriend in the UK. She play a AMV on her laptop and i wanted more. I watched every episode, but wondered why it never had more episodes, even after Mai Otome. I have seen all the Mai Hime episodes like 600 times, and read the manga books. For a laugh I even watched 1-26 episodes of the bad German dub with subtitles, my friend had eps in old country Russia. nao my friends call me the Mai Hime expert lmao.
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next