Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

+6
Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Cheshire Kat
Highman
Magus Phantalus
Dead.And.Alive
Luu Sky Sapphire
10 posters

Go down

Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME in your eyes?

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Vote_lcap258%Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? I_vote_rcap 58% 
[ 15 ]
Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Vote_lcap242%Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? I_vote_rcap 42% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 26

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Empty Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Opinion duel at Fuuka!
Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Mai10

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Natsuk10
---

Unlike ShezNek's 'Natsuki the true saviour.' thread which goes over the advantages Natsuki had over the rest of the Mai-HiME cast, this thread goes over the very foundation of the series. Who fit the main protagonist role in the Mai-HiME anime series? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

Remember, this is not a versus debate or who you like better. It's a battle of who fits the protagonist image and overall definition better. I'll be back with my answer soon since I have to high tail it out of Starbucks. XD

Discuss, enjoy and have fun!

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Empty Re: Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

Post by Dead.And.Alive Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:43 pm

It was quite obvious that I'd be the first to share.
Anyway, like I said before, I believe Natsuki would fit the title more than Mai could. We all know she has been given some background and is well informed. She was also one of the first characters we found out about. She comes from no where and draws attention (just like at Fuuka). Eventually we find out her "reason for fighting" so it seems like she'll never stop believing that until the end of the series. All in all, you progressively start know just about everything about Natsuki Kuga something that would normally happen to the protagonist.

Although, as much as it pains me to say it, I could see why Mai would make a decent (just decent) protagonist. Right off the bat you know that she has a brother and they're on good terms with each other. Plus she cares so much about Takumi that even when the ship is reaching it's demise so it gives off some good traits. Then suddenly she has spontaneous powers? Mysterious much? I'm just trying to say that the lack of knowledge draws watchers in. She just gets the spotlight for the things she doesn't do (while Kuga is off doing just about everything), excluding her emotional outburst at Mikoto, making the entire anime revolve around her.

...How did I manage to give a better explanation for Mai?!
Dead.And.Alive
Dead.And.Alive
The underaged Tsundere
The underaged Tsundere

Bubuzuke points : 2291
Armitage GUTS!!! : 261

Back to top Go down

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Empty Re: Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga?

Post by Magus Phantalus Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:26 pm

In terms of who better fits the protagonist role I'd say Mai. And I say that despite the fact that I dislike how overpowered she seems in the anime. Given how cynical the story later becomes and Mai's desire to have a normal life as well as her relatively positive outlook she is more easily relatable to most people.

Natsuki however best fits the role of that solo badass who is more than capable of going off on her own and doing what badasses do. Something that is played up more in EXA than the anime or manga.

The role of the solo badass(or rather one interpretation) is of the aloof ace who bears the burdens but quietly lets the hero reap the benefits for whatever reason possibly a past failure or sin or maybe the hero is a figure head who needs their role played up.

Oh the changes I'd make if I wrote My-Hime ah well there's always fanfiction which I'll be working on some more after sleep gotta work tonight. Damn you life!
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 613
Armitage GUTS!!! : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by Highman Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:19 pm

*Seeing Luu username in this thread*

In my two cents, both of em are better in character but give slight edge to Mai, why ? Being just Mai as an absolute great character in terms of standing true for herself and so as Natsuki. Both of em have their traits on kicking ass and taking names. But sadly, give more advantage for Mai only one thing:

Her stack or Mushroom rack Mai Tokiha

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Coalgi12

Natsuki Kuga Can you be more jealous jelly with little bowl out of date stale mayo
Highman
Highman
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 634
Armitage GUTS!!! : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheshire Kat Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 pm

I've said this before, I think each protagonist is a hero in their own right. Good deeds aren't something to be compared- especially if these deeds saved the planet. Natsuki and Mai both put in work to defend their home, but what would they be if Sakomizu hadn't saved them from the police station? Breaking and Entering is a minor crime, but they broke into an old District One/First District lab, which would probably account for a felony. They would've been in the slammer for a good half of the festival; and when the other HiME were to find them? They would be sitting ducks.

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Char_3896
"I always knew I was a hero."
Cheshire Kat
Cheshire Kat
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 819
Armitage GUTS!!! : 219

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Eternal Wolvetta Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 pm

Cheshire Kat wrote:I've said this before, I think each protagonist is a hero in their own right. Good deeds aren't something to be compared- especially if these deeds saved the planet. Natsuki and Mai both put in work to defend their home, but what would they be if Sakomizu hadn't saved them from the police station? Breaking and Entering is a minor crime, but they broke into an old District One/First District lab, which would probably account for a felony. They would've been in the slammer for a good half of the festival; and when the other HiME were to find them? They would be sitting ducks.

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Char_3896
"I always knew I was a hero."

This, and the fact that the protagonists go via this order:

1. Mai
2. Natsuki
3. Mikoto

I think its obvious that Mai is going to be the true protagonist. But without either character, the series would be utterly and completely different.

I don't know why people need to constantly fight over this.

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 708
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Mai Tokiha fits the bill of protagonist the most, imo. Some of you are right about each title character (Mai Tokiha, Natsuki Kuga and Mikoto Minagi) playing a key role in the series, but I think Mai Tokiha takes center stage for every major event. Now this may sound contradictory to my opinion on Natsuki having a bigger impact in the series (being involved since Natsuki no Prelude and interfering in events that have nothing to do with her. Ex. The final Mai vs. Shiho fight), but once the anime series came into play, Mai was established as a true protagonist with the following:

1. Character who's down on her luck.

Mai Tokiha just wanted to live a normal life at Fuuka Academy by making new friends and being the average everyday girl. Then all of a sudden, she is thrust into becoming a HiME and fighting giant monsters with a dragon whale as her guardian beast. Now this may sound exciting and all, but Mai didn't want any of it. After a few episodes, it was clear that she was going to fight tougher challengers. Raising the possibility of her friends and sick brother getting hurt. We also have her struggling with her feelings for Tate, thanks to her inability to be honest with herself and others.

2. She is in a bad place in her life:

Like #1, Mai is fighting on a daily basis. Nagi and Mashiro remind her over and over again that she has a job to do and she doesn't want any of it. Thus placing her HiME role in a region that is more of a war zone than a peaceful campus. The slightest mishap can put her brother Takumi in grave danger, so everything is working against her.

3. Things don't always go perfectly for her.

With the death of her mother, then Takumi, her close friends and finally her very own Yuuichi succumbs to the Carnival arc. Those examples are too easy though, smaller examples would be missing out on karaoke jams because her friends believe she should take care of Takumi first. It's like when Mai finally gets some free time, something happens to ruin it.

4. Has no concept of what's going on or what's at stake.

For a majority of the series, Mai is seen questioning the HiME and what their purpose is. Nagi, Mashiro and Natsuki give her the lowdown here and there, enough to give her an idea on what she must do. When things get a little out of hand with Reito's games, she tries to prevent conflict between HiME. Her scolding Mikoto for attack Yukino is the first major response to finding out what's at stake. Not knowing the consequences of losing a HiME battle created tension, drama and story.

5. Involved in love triangle between the male-in-distress and the main villain.

Almost every HiME had their own romances to deal with, yet none more complex and oftentimes disjointed than Mai with Tate and Reito. Both are main character males who are smitten by Mai and only one of them will walk away with her. If their romance triangle wasn't enough, Mai had to deal with a raging ghost-like Shiho Munakata from time to time. Shiho also feel strongly for Tate, leaving Mai in a very tight spot. Yes, Shiho saw him first, but even Mai doesn't care about that. One can't help how she feels? Love is never wrong, after all.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by PuppyHaru Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:25 am

blush : Ara if only Natsuki we're the main charcter then I could *censord to mature for this thread*

anyway I don't mind either way if mai or natsuki were the main charcters it still be a great story ^^ that will be loved for generations (except by the ones who only watch th mainstream animes then this dosen't exist to them and it makes me sad)
PuppyHaru
PuppyHaru
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 172
Armitage GUTS!!! : 49
Location : Australia, otherwise check for a note I left on the fridge!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 pm

PuppyHaru wrote:blush : Ara if only Natsuki we're the main charcter then I could *censord to mature for this thread*

anyway I don't mind either way if mai or  natsuki were the main charcters it still be a great story ^^ that will be loved for generations (except by the ones who only watch th mainstream animes then this dosen't exist to them and it makes me sad)

Mainstream anime are so boring. All flash with no substance. Mai-HiME seems like an everyday anime on the surface, but it's so rich with dimension. My brain goes numb with Naruto's filler and nonsensical storyline. HiME and Otome are about real people behind it's goofy fanservice moments.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:41 pm

my preferred hero is Natsuki-chan >////<
Mai-chan is the real hero........
can they both be known as main protagonists? ^^
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:my preferred hero is Natsuki-chan >////<
Mai-chan is the real hero........
can they both be known as main protagonists? ^^

In a way, they already are! Just read Natsuki no Prelude before rewatching the anime series next time. It'll feel like it started out with Natsuki, only to make the transition to Mai Tokiha. Wink Once they become a team, they'll feel like joint protagonists.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainVonCookie Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 am

Protagonists usually are the boring people in the middle of the interesting action, but not necessarily them. More often than not, they are just there and all you wanna see are the side characters. So Mai fits that bill.
CaptainVonCookie
CaptainVonCookie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 535
Armitage GUTS!!! : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:58 pm

CaptainVonCookie wrote:Protagonists usually are the boring people in the middle of the interesting action, but not necessarily them. More often than not, they are just there and all you wanna see are the side characters. So Mai fits that bill.

Opinion duel at Fuuka! Who is the true protagonist of Mai-HiME? Mai Tokiha or Natsuki Kuga? Roflbo13

Mai isn't THAT bad! She has her own character arc that I was well invested in. I just think Natsuki's was more involved with First District. In fact, Mai did her job nicely as the fish-out-of-water protagonist. When you're in a series with lesbians (ShizNat), monsters (the Orphans) and weirdos (Akira and Takumi), you need a "normal" person to guide the audience through the story. Especially if the audience is casual and new to Mai-HiME. XD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:19 am

To be honest, I kind of thought that Mai was the main character or at least of one of the main trio when I first watched the series. The plot does lean towards Natsuki for the entirety of the story's run but I like to think it is the main trio's story.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:06 am

GAP wrote:To be honest, I kind of thought that Mai was the main character or at least of one of the main trio when I first watched the series. The plot does lean towards Natsuki for the entirety of the story's run but I like to think it is the main trio's story.

Agreed. Episode one laid it out for the viewers that Mai, Natsuki and Mikoto were going to be key players. At least, we understand this better in retrospect and it makes sense. Mai struggling with herself, Natsuki struggling with First District and Mikoto struggling with understanding love while influenced by Reito. The other HiME had stories to tell too; but they weren't the centerpiece of the series. It worked; but since we ended up loving the other HiME a lot (sans Shiho...*cough* ), we'd like to see more of them in a possible sequel or reboot.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainVonCookie Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:07 am

In all honesty... All I read was "Mai isn't THAT bad" so we agree she is bad.
Nah... i actually agree with ur points. But it's not far off from my pov. The audience need a stable boring character to navigate the awesome stuff. So she's basically a camerawoman.

Happy :I'm gonna go yandere on all ur asses!!!
CaptainVonCookie
CaptainVonCookie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 535
Armitage GUTS!!! : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:42 pm

CaptainVonCookie wrote:In all honesty... All I read was "Mai isn't THAT bad" so we agree she is bad.
Nah... i actually agree with ur points. But it's not far off from my pov. The audience need a stable boring character to navigate the awesome stuff. So she's basically a camerawoman.

Happy :I'm gonna go yandere on all ur asses!!!

Haha, not necessarily. Mai's actually a brilliant character with depth to her. Her moping and feeling sorry for herself is a bit annoying, but that is the kind of person she is. I can't complain about her being a character she was meant to be from the start, so we're nitpicking at best. It also helps that Mai Nakahara helped sell Mai nicely through voice work. Carol-Anne Day did a great job too, imo. Although I can understand purists saying she's the Terri Hawkes of Mai-HiME. Both are good Canadians btw~

Now when you say camerawoman, I imagine Yukino and her constant spying with Diana's spores. Envious feels sweep through my body knowing she is watching REAL ShizNat while Haruka is on the other side of the room ranting about bubuzuke trolling.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Mai is a typical high school girl but Natsuki seems like a more exciting protagonist to most fans. Mai is a great character nonetheless despite the fact that she isn't honest with herself about her life and choices. Natsuki is a more dynamic protagonist who kind of gets involved int he plot than the rest of the cast.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:12 pm

GAP wrote:Mai is a typical high school girl but Natsuki seems like a more exciting protagonist to most fans. Mai is a great character nonetheless despite the fact that she isn't honest with herself about her life and choices. Natsuki is a more dynamic protagonist who kind of gets involved int he plot than the rest of the cast.

Since Natsuki no Prelude is canon, Natsuki gets more than involved in the storyline before Mai even shows up! Her discovery of Duran, meeting Nagi (and Shizuru), her first battle with Mikoto before episode 1, etc. She was there from the start. NNP was obviously created in response to Natsuki's overwhelming popularity.

Rightfully so.  cocky 
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:07 pm

From a Doylist (out of universe) that might be the case as Natsuki is the most dynamic character in the series. Still, Mai and Mikoto are just as involved in the plot as Natsuki is but I guess it is more of a balance thing.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:00 pm

GAP wrote:From a Doylist (out of universe) that might be the case as Natsuki is the most dynamic character in the series. Still, Mai and Mikoto are just as involved in the plot as Natsuki is but I guess it is more of a balance thing.

Thing is, Natsuki (in Natsuki no Prelude) is part of a larger story to come. It's just to establish that she had an early taste of HiME and First District. Mai and Mikoto do become key players, yes. To balance things out, both are directed tied to the main villain of the series unlike Natsuki.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down