Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret

3 posters

Go down

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret Empty Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Discussion thread for Mai HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret Empty Re: Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret

Post by Konaxookami Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Ah yes, nothing like the sun, the sea, and a WHOLE LOT OF BACKSTORY.

This episode has always been one of my favorite because of how it balances the humor of the beach and all the exposition of the D1 hatred that Natsuki has had for the first part of the story. The whole section where they're dealing with the beach gets funnier each time. There's so much going on, between Akira and Takumi being just stupidly cute, to Mai's angst, to the Student Council being their own personal drama, and finally Takeda dealing with the ever present passions of youth.

The first half is a welcome break from all the drama of the last episode. What with Reito finding out about Mai's powers, Akane's breakdown, and the revelation that Miyu is in fact a robotic killing MACHINE.

It's good to just see all of the students acting like students. Even if Shiho is just-UGHH. She frustrates me completely with her inability to keep things on the Down-Low. She's not a good wingman. Not at all. BUT her stupidity segways the episode to the ACTION half that explains why Natsuki always seems to have something stuck up her butt when it comes to District 1 and the whole HiME shindig.

Though, we still get the humor of Takeda's stupid attempts to confess and Mikoto being well-Mikoto it gets serious for a good bit of time. We get a little more of a hint at Reito being Mikoto's brother and it's sort of painfully obvious that it's the case but HEY DRAMATIC TENSION SAYS WE NEED TO KEEP THIS 'SECRET' for a LIIIIIITLE longer. But whatever, we're just in time for Natsuki to drive home that she is basically in a relationship with REVENGE AND JUSTICE AND I REALLY DON'T HAVE TIME FOR YOUR NONSENSE MAI, G O D. But unlike the other times we've heard this speech, this time we get a reason!

And hoo it is a good one. Heartbreaking really. But hey, Natsuki wouldn't be a protag without her tragic past, right? It's a good way to give the episode-which otherwise would have just been the obligatory beach episode-some substance and makes it an episode you really can't skip. But why would you skip the beach episode anyways-everyone is in bathing suits and being dorky its the best anime can offer.

And again, they sandwich the episode with possibly one of the best moments of Natsuki's embarrassment. Nothing says female bonding times like hitchhiking in bikinis right? Also, nothing is better than getting caught by your best friend, the slimily suave vice president, and two teachers in a 'sexy' pose. Oh yeah.

But that's my recap of my rewatch-yup.
Konaxookami
Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

Back to top Go down

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret Empty Re: Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret Vlcsna60

The polar opposite of episode 4, Mai-HiME Episode IX: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret is where Natsuki Kuga's character study and development kick off. YES! This episode
is a huge favorite of mine as we really get to know Natsuki's past. The episode opens with the
beautiful ice princess, Natsuki Kuga, dropping a bouquet of flowers into the sea.
With a gentle whisper of "mother", we know this moment is something very personal to her. We
then catch up with Nagi who is still upset over what happened with Akane. He claims that
"they" have ruined all of his plans. Mashiro feels for Akane and wonders if Nagi and First District
will act now. At Fuka, Midori informs the class that they will receive their exam results
after the break. Mai believes she's going to flunk with Midori's difficult classes. This little scene
sets up for a hilarious Mai and Midori omake in the future. Rumors of Akane and Kazuya's
disappearance spread like wild fire; supposedly both have trouble back home or something like
that! Come on, Chie! You're good at this! Where are the specifics!? As the girls chat, Miyu
and Alyssa pass by...smiling at one another. Here we are told by Miyu that she is the one taking
care of Alyssa. Chie comments that Miyu never looks happy like that during class. "The Golden
Angel" must really be that one person Miyu is able to connect with. Mai recalls back to her last
discussion with Akane during the Founders' Day festival. Chie and Aoi now believe the rumors were true if Akane took Mai's novice love advice to heart. Shoot, Chie even caught Mai and Reito talking to each other. Pictures don't know how to lie, Mai! They only show you the truth! LOL! As a result, Mai has to take the summer challenge. Wait-THE SUMMER CHALLENGE!?

We then move ahead in time and see Mai working as a lifeguard at the beach. First off, Mai looks
extra gorgeous in that yellow bikini. Second; MIKOTO JUST PULLED A GOKU! Both
Shizuru and Yukino are impressed by Mikoto's saw-edged perch catch, except for Haruka. Who
adds her humor to the catch by one of her many "witticisms". Her "witticism" was so
clever, that everyone couldn't wait to leave. HA HA HA! Next we see Mai and Reito walking down
the shore; Mai even explains that she got her lifeguard and first air certificate. I wondered
about that since being a lifeguard isn't just volunteer work anyone can do. In a clever scene by
Sunrise, Shizuru is seen with her legion of fangirls fighting over who gets to be the one
to rub sun tan lotion all over her. Haruka watches Shizuru and her yuri fangirls with jealousy;
calling over Yukino in the process to rub her down. D'aww, Haruka feels left out! Yukino being a
good (girl)friend, is more than happy to oblige. Takumi and Akira also share a cute moment
together after Takumi tells his best buddy that he cannot swim. Feeling like he can't really enjoy the beach to it's fullest. Akira remedies the experience by giving him a sketch book, what a nice gesture on her part. Oop! I meant HIS part. Wink

The Passions of Youth - 1

Takeda - Zippo

Natsuki Kuga is seen riding the highway and eventually finds a building she's interested in. She is
told by Sakomizu that the security system is still operational. Why is she interested in that place? NO TIME TO DISCUSS THAT! MIDORI IS ABOUT TO BE KILLED BY THE DRIFTING MACHINE THAT IS YOHKO SAGISAWA! Where were they leading? The Suzushiro family's summer villa where everyone who took part in the Founders' Day festival was invited. Haruka brags about the festivities she put together tonight and pointing out some notables in the audience like Mai, Yohko, and Midori. How DARE they invite themselves! How dare Yohko get shitfaced! Haruka, seriously? You're gonna be like that? ;3 Shiho and Tate also show up to the party; Shiho extremely happy to know that Mai found a boy to crush on that isn't Tate. It was kind of screwed up of Shiho to announce their promise in front of Tate, though she only did that to ensure TatMai doesn't happen.

Later that night, Mai wanders away from the party and suddenly hears a strange noise. Natsuki is seen in the middle of stripping her biker suit and Takeda eyeballing her. He claims he was
just there to meditate and nothing more, but Natsuki doesn't believe him. She demands that he leaves immediately, except Takeda refuses; to take this chance to tell Natsuki how he feels. He
then accidentally lands on top of her as Mai watches in terror. Natsuki whacks Takeda in the face with his own kendo stick as a personal thank you for making things worse. Mai questions Natsuki's
hostility towards men, even wondering if she's even into men at all. Natsuki quickly dismisses the idea by saying she's too busy to be concerned with love and romance. During this, Tate
is unable to sleep as he regrets telling Mai he could care less about Mai liking another guy. Cut to said guy in Reito Kanzaki; who tells a sleepy Mikoto that Mai went down to the beach. Before
Mikoto takes off, she asks Reito if he recognizes the charm of her brother. He says he's never seen the charm nor ever had a younger sister. Sorry Mikoto, but don't worry, he's closer than'you think...

Mai and Natsuki take a rental boat to the building Natsuki had her eyes on before. Mikoto catches up to them in creepy fashion until all three HiME reach the other end. Natsuki tells Mai that the entire area used to be a First District research center that looked into highly advanced materializing abilities. Thanks to Mikoto's inability to do stealth missions, the alarm goes off, leaving the girls ten minutes to explore the building. The first door Natsuki finds is labeled S. KUGA (Saeko Kuga), who in a flashback in revealed to be Natsuki's mother. So Natsuki's mother worked with First District! Now things are getting very interesting! The girls then regroup only to be caught by a security guard. Natsuki tries to kill him, but Mai stops her and suggests to turn themselves in. Thank goodness for a mysterious fat man wearing a Japanese pro wrestling mask that does a poor job of hiding his afro, otherwise our girls would of been in trouble! Man, if only I could figure out who he was! I just can't put my...SAKOMIZU!? REALLY, MAI!? I WOULD OF NEVER FIGURED IT OUT WITHOUT YOU!

The episode ends with Natsuki vowing to destroy First District and their ambitions. In a flashback, Saeko Kuga appears to be on the run from First District agents, even telling Natsuki that she knows about the HiME. So that's all well and good, Natsuki has Mai and Mikoto's support. There's just one problem...how will they get back without a car? Mai comes up with a plan to use Natsuki's voluptuous body to hitch a ride. What happens is a serious a eye popping shots from various angles. DAMN NATSUKI! DAMN!!! This tactic works immediately as a car pulls up, only the passengers aren't strangers. Midori, Yohko, Shizuru and Reito are all inside and saw Natsuki's sexy moves. If you look closely at Shizuru, she was completely turned on by Natsuki's actions. Natsuki blushes beet red and lets out a scream of embarrassment so loud, the entire world heard it.

This episode really delved into Natsuki Kuga's past and motivation for taking down First District. Nicely paced episode with just enough room for some comedy and good character moments between couples like HaruKino and TakuAki. It's the subtle actions between them that give them depth; Haruka's only friend being Yukino and Akira finding interest in Takumi despite his limitations. Very good episode all around.

Mai-HiME Episode 9: The Sea, The Maidens, and Natsuki's Secret Vlcsna61

+ Natsuki Kuga backstory. This is how exposition should be done.
+ Natsuki Kuga in general. The ability to be a great serious and comedic character is rare.
+ Great character moments
+ Bikinis! Bikinis everywhere!
+ Good use of Sakomizu
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:34 am

The best episode! XD This episode is a goldmine to me, because it's the episode made me laugh the most. There were so many surprises this episode threw out back when I was an ignorant HiME fan, both tragic and hilarious

While watching the beginning of Mai-HiME, Mikoto was my most favorite character for a good while. The kid just knew how to make me laugh! My most memorable moment while watching that episode was when I first saw the beach scene. I remember cackling so hard like a laughing hyena who had laughing gas when Mikoto all of the sudden brings a large fish she somehow caught in the ocean. It was just totally random and unexpected XD Then I laughed some more when the fish was decorated with makeup at the party and when Mikoto was all "I caught this sucker, so now dig in and enjoy!" (I was watching the dub at the time. Sue me)

I laughed pretty hard too when Natsuki and Mai encountered a random arm that was trying to get into the stolen boat, which turned out to be Mikoto's (it was pretty obvious), but it was still pretty hilarious XD Oh and of course I had the giggles when Kuga saw Youko and Midori driving in Yukari-mobile-like madness. The scenes with Midori and Youko in episode 9 had given me a total flashback about Yukari and Nyamo from Azumanga Daioh - Being two drunken ladies, one in particular also having mad driving skills!

I was also pleased that Sunrise showed a bit of a backstory relating to our favorite bluenette. Now back then, I didn't really consider Natsuki as my twin, since, of course, I was still pretty ignorant about the entire show xP And giving the watchers another piece of eye-candy on how badass (and sexy) Natsuki was in episode 9. Her badassness at least was a nice treat. Annnnnnd the last bit of laughter I had was, of course, when Natsuki again humiliated herself in front of certain people XD Tis a shame that Fujino totally missed the underwear incident :'3
Kuga Natsuki
Kuga Natsuki
Space Samurai Marshall Banana
Space Samurai Marshall Banana

Bubuzuke points : 9709
Armitage GUTS!!! : 593

http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down