Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Shizuru fun?

+12
MissSoccerNinja
Kino karutta-chan
Hohoemu
sabbygirl
Lerena
GoldenSun13
Kara
Yuri-hime
Amaya
ookamidesu
Luu Sky Sapphire
HollowPoint
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shizuru - Is Shizuru fun? Empty Is Shizuru fun?

Post by HollowPoint Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Okay, so this question came to mind while I was talking to someone, and I wanted to know what you guys thought. Would it actually be fun being with Shizuru? I mean, can anyone name anything that's fun about her?

Personally, I don't think so, Shizuru's idea of fun is teasing. And BEING teased, I don't think is something I'd consider "fun" about being with her.

I'm saying this genuinely curious mind you, I'm not trying to say anything is wrong with Shizuru or anything.

P.S. ...I dunno if I'm actually allowed to post a topic or not...it is relevant to a character, so it should be okay..right? sorry if it's not.. psyduck
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Bubuzuke points : 362
Armitage GUTS!!! : 83

Back to top Go down

Shizuru - Is Shizuru fun? Empty Re: Is Shizuru fun?

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Is Shizuru fun? thread from Mai HIME Discussion moved to General ShizNat Forum

:) I'll post my thoughts later.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Is Shizuru fun? thread from Mai HIME Discussion moved to General ShizNat Forum

:) I'll post my thoughts later.

Hmm..? is this considered a ShizNat topic? it really only has to do with Shizuru herself..*shrug*

Looking forward to it ^_^
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I think Shizuru is a fun person to observe, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to be her friend or her lover. No doubt there will be perks to being her lover, but like Pointeh said, you'll have to endure many teasings. As for being her friend, well, we haven't really seen many instances where she actually treated anyone around her like a friend. Except maybe Reito.

I could be wrong. Not thinking too in detail here... but I'm tired. Maybe I'll come back to this thread some other time and give better answer? maybes >.>;;
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:27 pm

ookamidesu wrote:I think Shizuru is a fun person to observe, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to be her friend or her lover. No doubt there will be perks to being her lover, but like Pointeh said, you'll have to endure many teasings. As for being her friend, well, we haven't really seen many instances where she actually treated anyone around her like a friend. Except maybe Reito.

I could be wrong. Not thinking too in detail here... but I'm tired. Maybe I'll come back to this thread some other time and give better answer? maybes >.>;;

"Pointeh"?...neat. ^_^ Weeelllll, no offense intended to her, but, Shizuru seems a bit dull, tea and teasing seem to be her only forte. I am more than willing to hear a reason why she IS fun, but as of yet, I'm not really seeing it.

Okaaay, but I dunno if you can think of anything. psyduck
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:46 pm

HollowPoint wrote:Hmm..? is this considered a ShizNat topic? it really only has to do with Shizuru herself..*shrug*

Looking forward to it ^_^

So do a bunch of other topics here. :)It's better business to place a Shizuru thread in the ShizNat forum.

On topic, to be honest I have to agree with Mulan on the point of observation. Shizuru's personality is like a full-on Monet. From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess.

Shizuru's teasing of Natsuki or, whoever else she's crack paired with, is amusing and certainly worth being around when she has someone to play off of. She's an entertainer as proven in a lot of doujin where he personality gets injected with steroids (leek anyone?). However, I'm not attracted to someone like that. Not because I wouldn't be able to handle her teasing, it's because she's pretty shallow on the surface (I say that because her deep down feelings for Natsuki are honest). My idea of a fun time is with someone like the more outgoing and friendly Midori Sugiura.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
On topic, to be honest I have to agree with Mulan on the point of observation. Shizuru's personality is like a full-on Monet. From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess.

Shizuru's teasing of Natsuki or, whoever else she's crack paired with, is amusing and certainly worth being around when she has someone to play off of. She's an entertainer as proven in a lot of doujin where he personality gets injected with steroids (leek anyone?). However, I'm not attracted to someone like that. Not because I wouldn't be able to handle her teasing, it's because she's pretty shallow on the surface (I say that because her deep down feelings for Natsuki are honest). My idea of a fun time is with someone like the more outgoing and friendly Midori Sugiura.

Sooooo..does that mean..that you think she wouldn't be fun to be alone with? Hmmm....I can't find a single picture(nor do I recall a time) where Natsuki has ever actually looked like she was having fun while with Shizuru(happy?...maybe..but that doesn't = fun)..I don't exactly have great memory though, so maybe there is some scenes.(I'm talking about Hime, mind you, not Otome)....I'm getting nervous..*doesn't want to be yelled at for calling Shizuru dull* T~T
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaya Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:09 am

Someone has a name ;-) I am glad that you brought our little conversation up as topic here.
I've thought this through and I really think that Shizuru is rather exhausting in the long run. I'm currently rewatching Mai HiME and I observed Natsuki closely. She is a very caring and rustworthy person from the beginning. Although she acts tough, she just is a nice person and cannot hide her concerns about people like i.e. Mai. And she also acts goofy around those people. The best example is Ep.4 (lingerie orphan-she's not all serious here and is covering Mai with a sheet when she fell asleep) Ep.9(Beach Episode, although this is a rather serious matter for Natsuki she still does the hitchike and takeda stuff), Ep.10 (Cake-Episode I don't even go into detail how much un she has with Nao in that episode).
And when I now look at the interaction with Shizuru it is nothing more than tense. I mean if Shiz is her precious friend why would she act so modest around her. To me it sometimes feels as if she's not really comfortable around Shizuru because the tea-lady is completely different from her other goofy friends. I can't remember one scene where Shizuru and Natsuki are having fun
Amaya
Amaya
Head of the Anti-NatNao-Phobic-Unit

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 445

http://crawlinggirl.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:19 am

Amaya wrote:Someone has a name ;-) I am glad that you brought our little conversation up as topic here.
I've thought this through and I really think that Shizuru is rather exhausting in the long run. I'm currently rewatching Mai HiME and I observed Natsuki closely. She is a very caring and rustworthy person from the beginning. Although she acts tough, she just is a nice person and cannot hide her concerns about people like i.e. Mai. And she also acts goofy around those people. The best example is Ep.4 (lingerie orphan-she's not all serious here and is covering Mai with a sheet when she fell asleep) Ep.9(Beach Episode, although this is a rather serious matter for Natsuki she still does the hitchike and takeda stuff), Ep.10 (Cake-Episode I don't even go into detail how much un she has with Nao in that episode).
And when I now look at the interaction with Shizuru it is nothing more than tense. I mean if Shiz is her precious friend why would she act so modest around her. To me it sometimes feels as if she's not really comfortable around Shizuru because the tea-lady is completely different from her other goofy friends. I can't remember one scene where Shizuru and Natsuki are having fun

I didn't say your name because I didn't want to bring up that I made you like Shizuru less ;P

Shizuru just seems like such a...bore...she's never like "let's play some games, Natsuki!" Razz I just don't really think Natsuki get's any fun out of being with Shizuru, seeing as Natsuki doesn't LIKE being teased(at least when she's teased by Nao she's sorta happy during it and fights back Nao Yuuki ) when she's teased by Shizuru she just gets upset/defensive...and wow, I'm just now realizing, I can't even imagine Shizuru on Natsuki's motorcycle psyduck
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaya Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:30 am

Well, for some strange reason I can imagine her on the bike but still, she really seems like such a bore now that I think about it. It's a bit harder for me to imagine Nao on the bike. What I could imagine though would be Natsuki and Nao both on her own bike.
Amaya
Amaya

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:22 pm

Amaya wrote:Well, for some strange reason I can imagine her on the bike but still, she really seems like such a bore now that I think about it. It's a bit harder for me to imagine Nao on the bike. What I could imagine though would be Natsuki and Nao both on her own bike.

You can? 0_o...ehh..anyway, I didn't mean on the bike alone, I meant WITH NAtsuki..I think she'd make Natsuki crash if she was on the bike with her though ^_^;(and of course you can't imagine Nao on the bike alone, is Nao even old enough to drive? at least she LOOKS too young anyway...maybe she's barely old enough? Nao Yuuki )
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:28 pm

I think calling her a complete bore is a bit extreme. Shizuru to me seems like the kind of person who would go along with anything, as long as it was suggested by the person she loved. Which of course in this case is Natsuki. If Natsuki wanted to go bike riding, Shizuru would go. If Natsuki wanted to go karaoke (even if there is a very low chance of Natsuki suggesting this on her own), Shizuru would go. Hell, if Natsuki wanted to go sky-diving, Shizuru would go. And she'd have fun doing all of that, and Natsuki would in turn have fun. Why? Because you're doing all that stuff with the person you most enjoy spending time with. The impression being given is that fun must = running around doing wild and crazy stuff (like Midori) and laughing all over the place. If we went by the logic suggested that all Shizuru does is drink tea and tease so that = bore, then Natsuki would also = bore as all that is really portrayed of her is 'I like motorbikes and I'm hung up on revenge.' But then you might say she is having 'fun' when she's dragged out by Mai and others. To me Natsuki doesn't look like she's having fun. It looks like she's being tormented by being dragged all over to do karaoke, or some other activity that is usually out of her comfort zone. But then inside she is really probably enjoying herself even though she doesn't 'look' it. So saying that just because Natsuki doesn't 'look' like she's having fun with Shizuru, doesn't mean that she isn't.

You don't hang out with someone that much if you aren't enjoying it. It may not be the loud and crazy kind of fun I believe is being suggested, but they would most likely have their own kind of fun. And as I said earlier, I can easily see Shizuru going out with Natsuki to enjoy whatever activities Natsuki herself deemed as 'fun'. Shizuru will tease her the whole way of course, but even the teasing in itself could be considered a type of 'fun' activity. Natsuki gripes and moans about the teasing, but I believe that if Shizuru ever truly stopped it completely Natsuki would suddenly find herself missing it. Shizuru's teasing is like a form of directed 'attention-paying'. All of Shizuru's attention and playful behaviour is fully focused on Natsuki during her teasing. And I feel Natsuki would find herself sorely missing that kind of 'attention' if Shizuru ever stopped. Everyone likes to be paid attention to. Especially by the person we deem most precious to us.

That's my thoughts on the matter. I don't believe Shizuru is a bore. If she is then Natsuki would be as well, going by what little we see of them doing 'outside' the drama that they were dealing with the series. I'm sure if they weren't focused on revenge/murder/the hime star/fighting each other and friends/ect we would be allowed to see what the two of them would be like with 'their hair down'. So it's a bit unfair to call Shizuru boring when the series never really focused on what either she or Natsuki would be like just hanging out. They were all too busy fighting for their lives to do that.

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I think she's that friend that you have to be in the right mood for. Like, if you wanted to go see a movie or just chill and talk.

But if you wanted to go party, she would probably go but wouldn't be the wildest thing you've ever seen. Keeping it classy, I suppose Razz
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Kara wrote:I think she's that friend that you have to be in the right mood for. Like, if you wanted to go see a movie or just chill and talk.

But if you wanted to go party, she would probably go but wouldn't be the wildest thing you've ever seen. Keeping it classy, I suppose Razz
*nods* There's all kinds of fun. I'd have fun with Shizuru. My personality is a lot more mellow and very quiet. I like peace. I read a whole lot, and I write. Both very quiet activities, and ones others may find 'boring' and thus call me a bore.

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Yuri-hime wrote:I think calling her a complete bore is a bit extreme. Shizuru to me seems like the kind of person who would go along with anything, as long as it was suggested by the person she loved. Which of course in this case is Natsuki. If Natsuki wanted to go bike riding, Shizuru would go. If Natsuki wanted to go karaoke (even if there is a very low chance of Natsuki suggesting this on her own), Shizuru would go. Hell, if Natsuki wanted to go sky-diving, Shizuru would go. And she'd have fun doing all of that, and Natsuki would in turn have fun. Why? Because you're doing all that stuff with the person you most enjoy spending time with. The impression being given is that fun must = running around doing wild and crazy stuff (like Midori) and laughing all over the place. If we went by the logic suggested that all Shizuru does is drink tea and tease so that = bore, then Natsuki would also = bore as all that is really portrayed of her is 'I like motorbikes and I'm hung up on revenge.' But then you might say she is having 'fun' when she's dragged out by Mai and others. To me Natsuki doesn't look like she's having fun. It looks like she's being tormented by being dragged all over to do karaoke, or some other activity that is usually out of her comfort zone. But then inside she is really probably enjoying herself even though she doesn't 'look' it. So saying that just because Natsuki doesn't 'look' like she's having fun with Shizuru, doesn't mean that she isn't.

You don't hang out with someone that much if you aren't enjoying it. It may not be the loud and crazy kind of fun I believe is being suggested, but they would most likely have their own kind of fun. And as I said earlier, I can easily see Shizuru going out with Natsuki to enjoy whatever activities Natsuki herself deemed as 'fun'. Shizuru will tease her the whole way of course, but even the teasing in itself could be considered a type of 'fun' activity. Natsuki gripes and moans about the teasing, but I believe that if Shizuru ever truly stopped it completely Natsuki would suddenly find herself missing it. Shizuru's teasing is like a form of directed 'attention-paying'. All of Shizuru's attention and playful behaviour is fully focused on Natsuki during her teasing. And I feel Natsuki would find herself sorely missing that kind of 'attention' if Shizuru ever stopped. Everyone likes to be paid attention to. Especially by the person we deem most precious to us.

That's my thoughts on the matter. I don't believe Shizuru is a bore. If she is then Natsuki would be as well, going by what little we see of them doing 'outside' the drama that they were dealing with the series. I'm sure if they weren't focused on revenge/murder/the hime star/fighting each other and friends/ect we would be allowed to see what the two of them would be like with 'their hair down'. So it's a bit unfair to call Shizuru boring when the series never really focused on what either she or Natsuki would be like just hanging out. They were all too busy fighting for their lives to do that.

*is somewhat at a loss for words*...I didn't call her a "complete bore"...so Natsuki would be the fun one, and Shizuru would be the tag-along?...okay I know you didn't mean it like that, but still... Really though, I honestly don't think Shizuru WOULD go sky-diving or something, she'd probably just be like "have fun~" but really, even if Shizuru WOULD go for those kinds of things, I don't think she'd be fun to be around, she'd probably just say things like "you look really cute with that parachute on, Natsuki" Razz And of course Shizuru would have fun being with Natsuki, but Shizuru having fun has nothing to do with whether or not being WITH her would be fun. *gasp!* you called Natsuki boring(sorta) there's no call for that Razz and I do think Natsuki had fun doing that stuff, but if you think she didn't..*shrug* oh well.

I really think that the teasing would make whatever they are doing so much less enjoyable for Natsuki, even if Shizuru herself was having fun. And saying Natsuki would miss the teasing..that's "possible", but it's natural to miss something if you've grown used to it. ...please don't bring up the "most precious" thing, it's unfair to say Natsuki would have fun just because of that T~T

What's this "if she is then Natsuki would be one too" stuff? don't drag Natsuki into this T~T It's a bit unfair to say Shizuru ISN'T a bore too then, since alls we CAN go on is what happened in Mai-Hime >_> (wow...that was draining to respond to...)
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Oh geez XD erm...

To be honest, (and I haven't seen Hime in a long while so I can't be sure), you don't really see much of Shizuru. Sure, we see her outwardly appearance; Tea drinking, teasing, mad raving lesbian, but we don't really get to see all of who she is. The Omake's and side stories kind of show us some insight into the mind of the Natsuki lover, however I think there's a lot more to her that we don't get to see.

Yes, from the view point of the anime, she can be seen as a bore, unless you happen to be into the traditional Japanese things like tea ceremonies. The teasing would also get annoying after a while.

If you flesh her out a bit and think of her as an actual person, not just the anime POV, I think she's be an interesting person to hang out with. Don't we all tease our friends? Maybe it seemed a bit much because from Natsuki's point of view, she hasn't got that many close friends, so she's not used to being teased... *Runs off to watch anime again* :)

I dunno. In my opinion, I think she'd be fun given a chance to do something in an environment where she doesn't have to worry about keeping up appearances. *Shrugs shoulders* Having said that, there is a blurred line in my head between the way I see Shizuru (thanks to the countless ff's) and the real Shizuru. I guess it's just how you allow yourself to view her.

Good idea for a thread Pointy :)
GoldenSun13
GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 pm

HollowPoint wrote:=*is somewhat at a loss for words*...I didn't call her a "complete bore"
Ah sorry, my bad. You just said she seems like a bore *re-read the post* ^^;

GoldenSun13 wrote:Oh geez XD erm...

To be honest, (and I haven't seen Hime in a long while so I can't be sure), you don't really see much of Shizuru. Sure, we see her outwardly appearance; Tea drinking, teasing, mad raving lesbian, but we don't really get to see all of who she is. The Omake's and side stories kind of show us some insight into the mind of the Natsuki lover, however I think there's a lot more to her that we don't get to see.

If you flesh her out a bit and think of her as an actual person, not just the anime POV, I think she's be an interesting person to hang out with.

I dunno. In my opinion, I think she'd be fun given a chance to do something in an environment where she doesn't have to worry about keeping up appearances. *Shrugs shoulders* Having said that, there is a blurred line in my head between the way I see Shizuru (thanks to the countless ff's) and the real Shizuru. I guess it's just how you allow yourself to view her.
Yes, this is how I feel as well ^^

HollowPoint wrote:I'm getting nervous..*doesn't want to be yelled at for calling Shizuru dull* T~T
There is no reason for anyone to yell. We all have differing opinions on many different things, as evidenced in the responses given already for this thread ^^

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on a subject, and it can be interesting and 'fun' to flesh those opinions out =3

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaya Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Yuri-hime wrote:Shizuru to me seems like the kind of person who would go along with anything, as long as it was suggested by the person she loved.

Imagining something like this is very terrifying in my eyes and would completely lower my opinion of Shizuru. It's no offend though. I respect your point of view, I guess it's just not what I imagine Shizuru to be. Gah, maybe I am just allergic to those 'just-do-whatever-my-lover-wants-to'-people but I wouldn't wish for Shiz to have this kind of attitude. But then when I look at the anime, you could maybe be right and she could really be that type of person *screams in horror*

I guess a big problem is that Anime-Shizuru does hardly exist in anyones mind anymore because various fanfics have formed a damn unique (yes plug my ff-account ;-) ) image of Shizuru in everyones head and so it's hard to discuss the actual character of Shizuru. Since there are always people madly in love with Shizuru or their idealized verson of Shizuru and there will be always those who don't like her or don't care at all. If we would really only refer to the anime-characters it would be hard for us to be the maniacs we are^^Honestly when I think of judging some charcters only by the short insights the anime provides us, I cannot say that I would adore Mai HiME so much. The whole fanfiction did a good job in bewitching me and I have long made up my own character profile of the characters. Somehow our minds form them the way we want to see them. And it's good otherwise NatNao and even ShizNat wouldn't work out Arika Yumemiya

So in my mind, Shizuru has,thanks to reading almost every fanfiction, develped to an interesting, yet sometimes psychological unstable person that would be willing to do everything for Natsuki but would never fully abandon her pride. I would give in to our beloved Kaichou and I would be attracted to her teasing and intelligence but if she would really be that kind of 'I-do-whatever-you-want-to'-girl, I would run away screaming

I think my version of all the characters and the original characters are mostly different because ff.net alterned the universe of Mai HiME, which I believe is great.
Amaya
Amaya

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Yuri-hime wrote:
HollowPoint wrote:=*is somewhat at a loss for words*...I didn't call her a "complete bore"
Ah sorry, my bad. You just said she seems like a bore *re-read the post* ^^;

It's fine ^_^ Yeah, not a COMPLETE bore, tehehe XD

GoldenSun13 wrote:I dunno. In my opinion, I think she'd be fun given a chance to do something in an environment where she doesn't have to worry about keeping up appearances. *Shrugs shoulders* Having said that, there is a blurred line in my head between the way I see Shizuru (thanks to the countless ff's) and the real Shizuru. I guess it's just how you allow yourself to view her.

I dunno if there IS an environment where she would let herself stop acting the way she normally does(even if she could, I don't think she would is all), that is assuming that how she normally acts isn't her "actual" behavior anyway. Yeah, it really has to do with our image of her(I see most characters by how they are in ff's too) its sorta like art, how they say everyone sees it differently(oh wow, did I just refer to Shizuru as "art"? DX)

Hehe, I now see why Luu put this into the ShizNat area, it has come back to Natsuki quite a lot(even though I didn't say anything about Natsuki being involved), nobody has really thought of it like, what if Mai decided to befriend Shizuru(without Natsuki being involved in their interactions) I dunno if Shizuru would let anyone be friends with her though psyduck
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Amaya wrote:
Imagining something like this is very terrifying in my eyes and would completely lower my opinion of Shizuru. It's no offend though. I respect your point of view, I guess it's just not what I imagine Shizuru to be. Gah, maybe I am just allergic to those 'just-do-whatever-my-lover-wants-to'-people but I wouldn't wish for Shiz to have this kind of attitude. But then when I look at the anime, you could maybe be right and she could really be that type of person *screams in horror*

So in my mind, Shizuru has,thanks to reading almost every fanfiction, develped to an interesting, yet sometimes psychological unstable person that would be willing to do everything for Natsuki but would never fully abandon her pride. I would give in to our beloved Kaichou and I would be attracted to her teasing and intelligence but if she would really be that kind of 'I-do-whatever-you-want-to'-girl, I would run away screaming
*sheepishly rubs back of my head* I don't think I'm explaining myself quite right here, as I wasn't trying to create the impression of Shizuru that she would just do any 'ol thing her lover suggested, and abandon all her pride or anything like that. Shizuru has a lot of pride and inner-will and strength. I'd imagine her very easily saying 'no' to doing something she wasn't truly interested in doing. I guess I was trying to say I imagine her to be able to go out with the person she's with, and they both have a good time together. Not sure if I'm really getting what I'm thinking across still though ^^;

Amaya wrote:
I guess a big problem is that Anime-Shizuru does hardly exist in anyones mind anymore because various fanfics have formed a damn unique (yes plug my ff-account ;-) ) image of Shizuru in everyones head and so it's hard to discuss the actual character of Shizuru. Since there are always people madly in love with Shizuru or their idealized verson of Shizuru and there will be always those who don't like her or don't care at all. If we would really only refer to the anime-characters it would be hard for us to be the maniacs we are^^Honestly when I think of judging some charcters only by the short insights the anime provides us, I cannot say that I would adore Mai HiME so much. The whole fanfiction did a good job in bewitching me and I have long made up my own character profile of the characters. Somehow our minds form them the way we want to see them. And it's good otherwise NatNao and even ShizNat wouldn't work out Arika Yumemiya

I think my version of all the characters and the original characters are mostly different because ff.net alterned the universe of Mai HiME, which I believe is great.
These are very very true statements, and I agree that it is great ^^

Using one's imagination to fill in the gaps that the animators either lightly touched upon, or didn't fill in at all is part of what makes fiction great. And in a way having those gaps in personality allows us to fill in where it's absent. So whether Shizuru is indeed a bore or not in the anime is a good question, but because there is no clear-cut answer we can kind of try to fill in the blanks ourselves. I know it makes for some interesting and many times good fanfiction ^^

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:37 pm

Yuri-hime wrote:
*sheepishly rubs back of my head* I don't think I'm explaining myself quite right here, as I wasn't trying to create the impression of Shizuru that she would just do any 'ol thing her lover suggested, and abandon all her pride or anything like that. Shizuru has a lot of pride and inner-will and strength. I'd imagine her very easily saying 'no' to doing something she wasn't truly interested in doing. I guess I was trying to say I imagine her to be able to go out with the person she's with, and they both have a good time together. Not sure if I'm really getting what I'm thinking across still though ^^;

*sigh* here, I'll help you out...I guess >_> You're not trying to say that Shizuru would go along with just anything that was asked, but rather, if Natsuki said something like "Hey, Shizuru, lets play paintball"(*looks at Amaya* ;P) Shizuru COULD say no, but would probably be willing to give it a try at least one time, and would likely have fun while playing(considering she isn't immune to fun..I think), even if she wouldn't have thought to try the game herself...is that about right?
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri-hime Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 pm

HollowPoint wrote:
Yuri-hime wrote:

*sigh* here, I'll help you out...I guess >_> You're not trying to say that Shizuru would go along with just anything that was asked, but rather, if Natsuki said something like "Hey, Shizuru, lets play paintball"(*looks at Amaya* ;P) Shizuru COULD say no, but would probably be willing to give it a try at least one time, and would likely have fun while playing(considering she isn't immune to fun..I think), even if she wouldn't have thought to try the game herself...is that about right?
I guess? Lol, let's just call it that, and call it a day on this part of the debate from me =p

Yuri-hime
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 am

We also have to ask if Natsuki is one for "fun" herself. Think about it. If I recall, Zhang had to show Kruger how to lighten up a bit, so if we think more about Natsuki she's a bit serious. There are parts of her we get to see, but Natsuki as a character seems to have no room for fun as she doesn't seem to enjoy it. If we turn around and analyze that perhaps there's more to her than we get to see--how she really feels about hanging out with Shizuru--we could conclude she enjoys hanging out with Shizuru no matter how she reacts to the teasing, or that she is really bored with Shizuru. We could argue any point, that she is bored or that she is having fun.

What makes Shizuru interesting to me? Hm, nothing. She just happens to share a few things in common with me. Let's put it this way. Shizuru was never *asked* to do anything "fun" so why would she be seen in the light of "fun"? She's also on the Student Council. She didn't do much while on it but I'm sure that kind of position wasn't just thrown to her (even if it seems like it was). We must also take note that such a position in the real world takes up a lot of time and energy. If Shizuru was a real person, she wouldn't have TIME for fun.

There are many interesting points here. I didn't really think about it until today, but I can't really say I think of Shizuru as being a *fun* person. I do, however, think that under the right circumstances a more *fun* person would come out. Given her position on the council, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she isn't used to lightening up herself either; the only way she knows HOW to enjoy herself is by teasing and drinking tea. If she was a character allowed to develop, we'd see her as a more *fun* character, or maybe a more dramatic character.
Lerena
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3771
Armitage GUTS!!! : 558
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Post by HollowPoint Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Hmm..I think I'd say Natsuki could be fun, even if I was only going by the anime, but thinking on it, I likely am thinking of Shizuru and Natsuki based quite a lot on fanfiction I've read ^_^; It's just that, Shizuru's common traits in almost every story I've ever seen are like... she teases, is possessive, gets jealous, hides emotions.. to name a few anyway, she's never really doing anything interesting, where as Natsuki in almost every story I've read, has always been fun, cool, interesting, heroic. The thing is though, if either of them acted any differently than that, I'd think they were ooc ^_^
HollowPoint
HollowPoint
Cracked Pairings Expert
Cracked Pairings Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaya Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:01 pm

HollowPoint wrote:Hmm..I think I'd say Natsuki could be fun, even if I was only going by the anime, but thinking on it, I likely am thinking of Shizuru and Natsuki based quite a lot on fanfiction I've read ^_^; It's just that, Shizuru's common traits in almost every story I've ever seen are like... she teases, is possessive, gets jealous, hides emotions.. to name a few anyway, she's never really doing anything interesting, where as Natsuki in almost every story I've read, has always been fun, cool, interesting, heroic. The thing is though, if either of them acted any differently than that, I'd think they were ooc ^_^

I agree and also somehow I do associate fun with a bit of goofiness and Natsuki can defenitely do that (look at her in the lingerie-orphan episode or the karaoke ep) but could any of you imagine Shizuru being goofy and making funny faces? I honestly don't and if she would, I would find it strange
Amaya
Amaya

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next