Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!!

5 posters

Go down

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Empty The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!!

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 pm

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Slayer10

When I think about the early anime titles I discovered after Sailor Moon and DBZ, I immediately think of Slayers. Now I don't know much about the manga or the novels, but the anime series as a whole is a treasure I'll always hold dear to my heart. Slayers was hilarious, action packed and very awesome.

The whole story of this anime centers around the short tempered (and small breasted...) sorceresses named Lina Inverse. She travels all over, finding riches and gold to pay for her next meal. X3 She has quite the appetite. In the first series, simply called The Slayers, she meet a dimwitted swordsman named Gourry Gabriev. He swears to be her life long protector as it gives him a goal in life. ^_^ Protecting girls is fun. Along the way on their adventures they meet up with all sorts of great characters like the self righteous Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun who's obsessed with punishing evil with the hands of JUSTICE! The mysterious and antisocial Zelgadis Greywords who was turned into part-chimera by his great-grandfather Rezo The Red Priest. The list goes on and I'll go over them all in the future. >_<

Before all this took place, Lina Inverse had adventures before meeting Gourry in the TV series. The Slayers movies and OVA series take place before the TV series, pairing Lina Inverse with her former partner: Naga The Serpent. Naga is loud, obnoxious and her annoying laugh could destroy the strongest barriers. XD My fondest memory of the pre-TV series adventures is the first movie:

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Slayer11

Slayers Perfect (known as Slayers: The Motion Picture here) is a shining example of greatness. The movies that followed were just there to me, but the first movie truly sets up the events of the TV series. The whole storyline is important to the existence of the TV series and especially Gourry's presence. ^_~ You'll see.

If anyone loves adventure, magic spells and entertaining hi-jinks, you'll love Slayers. ^_^ If I get some posts here, I can go over the legendary seiyuu and English V/As who bring these characters to life.  Razz

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Empty Re: The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!!

Post by Shindu-S Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 am

I remember that Slayers were my first anime. Me and youngest generation of my siblings spent hours watching "Lina and Co"'s adventures and laughing to tears from some jokes :)
Though I still didn't manage to watch the last season that was released not so long ago. Gotta change it on my winter's holidays =)
Shindu-S
Shindu-S
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 44
Armitage GUTS!!! : 18

http://shindu-s.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Empty Re: The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!!

Post by Kyubey Mittens Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I'm going to revive this thread since Slayers is awesome no contest. I've finally gave myself the time to finish season one and start of Next. I love the series, thinking of it in D&D terms makes it even funnier.
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 437
Armitage GUTS!!! : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:41 pm

Kyubey Mittens wrote:I'm going to revive this thread since Slayers is awesome no contest. I've finally gave myself the time to finish season one and start of Next. I love the series, thinking of it in D&D terms makes it even funnier.

:) Nice to see a bump on the Slayers thread. So you started to watch of the series starting with season one and moving onto Next? By the time you finish Next (best season in the entire series. Wait until you "meet" L-Sama), don't move onto Slayers Try yet. Go back in the past before the events of the first season with the OVAs and movies. The Lina and Naga The Serpent era. :) Slayers Perfect especially, that movie's storyline is the reason Lina is what she is today.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

That was actually the plan since I was going to get the movies soon. Also was going to get the novels and the ova collection pretty soon since I'm ordering stuff off Rightstuff for Christmas presents.(Friends are easy to get stuff for, I wish my family was as easy.

Last edited by Kyubey Mittens on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Kyubey Mittens wrote:That was actually the plan since I was going to get the movies soon.

:) Sweet! Well worth the money too. The old ADV Films DVD sets for them should be uber cheap by now. Arika Yumemiya
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Well is $50 cheap for the boxset? I at least got Slayers, The Motion Picture coming in lot of movies for $5
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Kyubey Mittens wrote:Well is $50 cheap for the boxset? I at least got Slayers, The Motion Picture coming in lot of movies for $5

Mine was $10. O_O You lucked out with $5, not bad dude!

So, who's your favorite character in the series so far? Aside from Miss Inverse of course. ;p
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:01 pm

The entire cast is a riot but my favorite traveling companion is Zelgadis.The way he joins the party both times in the first season is great.(First as a mutual ally and then as a willing companion). His jokes are some of the best "He told me I reminded him of his wife in her younger days. o.O"

Zangulus is another favorite of mine since on one hand he seem genre savvy to role in the show but at the same time he goes along with it anyway. His outfit is pretty cool too. (The hat design has been used before but it so badass).
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Hmm since you got some posts in here now, will you go over the voice actors/seiyu or shall I drag another Slayers fan in here. Razz
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyubey Mittens Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:59 am

I just finished Slayers Next just now and I must say I really loved the season filler and all. It just goes to show how clearly Slayers is character driven. I will say though while she wasn't bad as other characters I've come across in shows Martina was rather annoying at times. She wasn't terrible but she ruined the mood unnecessarily towards the end. I feel bad for Zangulus, as my favorite side character since being attached to her now even liking her has to suck.

RIP Zangulus 1995-1996
May the world know you as the typical arch rival of Gourry with a cool sword. :(

It's a bummer I have to stop watching episodes for now though. I haven't got the ovas yet so I will have to wait a bit to watch those in due time although I have all the movies coming very soon. (It's going to be the pride of collection to display all of my Slayers dvds in the front since I plan to get the movies, ovas, the later two seasons, as well as getting the original box sets for the first three).

While I don't regret watching Madoka Magica and obsessing over it, I wish I could have done that with Slayers first. :) (Still love Madoka Magica, nothing wrong with it).
Kyubey Mittens
Kyubey Mittens
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by SoulEaterHaruhis0s Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm

I *heart* The Slayers. An old favorite of mine, a great cast, and a barrel of laughs! :D

I'm so happy I own the The Slayers three-season boxset. Now I just need to get Revolution and Evolution-R along with the OVAs. There isn't anyone in the series I don't particularly dislike (which is rare for me in anything I've watched!). Yep, a definite recommend to those wanting to watch a good ol' sword and sorcery anime with an exquisite blend of action and comedy! I might even consider a rematch soon.
SoulEaterHaruhis0s
SoulEaterHaruhis0s
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 156
Armitage GUTS!!! : 57

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1452642/Haruhi_Suzumiya_s0s

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:13 pm

bump

Bumping! Not only because I've recently started my rewatch of Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Slayers R-Evolution-R and the movies/OVA, but because I have fantastic news for series...sort of:

The Slayers, Next, Try, R-evolution-R, OVA/Movies Discussion Thread! DRAGON SLAVE!!! Kaxa-910

They're releasing the Blu-Ray set for all the Slayers movies and OVAs (or as I like to call them, the Lina and Naga days. Or the prequel series) on October 30th.

Seeing Slayers The Motion Picture in high definition would make my century! Sadly, $380 is way too much. I'll wait for a U.S. release. I'm aware FUNimation only owns the TV series and not the movies/OVAs, but one can dream.

Source: Theatrical Feature & OVA "Slayers" Digitally Remastered Blu-ray Box
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:02 pm

bump

omg omg omg omg omg

*HEAVY BREATHING* OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD! New Blu Ray trailer from Kadokawa! The Slayers movies and specials look beautiful on Blu Ray! The colors are MUCH more vibrant! Somebody pinch meeeee~ Out of them all, watching Slayers The Motion Picture will be the greatest thrill. Lina vs. Joyrock, baby!

All we need now is for FUNimation to license it (since they own the TV series) and release it for the reasonable price of $50-70. I posted a message on their Facebook wall. I don't expect anything like some hopeless fanboy, mind you. What matters is that I showed them. It's up to them now.

Razz
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

I am not very knowledgeable of the anime Slayers, but it was among the very first anime that I was ever introduced too, though at that time I did not seem to take the interest in the series that I have developed later on in life. I have only ever watched the first three seasons of Slayers, so all the newer stuff for it I've yet to check out! I have actually started re-watching it from the beginning today, and am really enjoying it quite a bit this time around. I just can't wait for Amelia to come into the scene because she's my favorite character! ^^

I think I'm on the episode also where the Noonsa the flaming fish comes in lol. Should be a fun time. ._.
ShadowMikoto
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 537
Armitage GUTS!!! : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

crimsonYukito wrote:
I think I'm on the episode also where the Noonsa the flaming fish comes in lol. Should be a fun time. ._.

laugh Noonsa?! HAHAHAHAHA! That's early on in season one! One of the first ever hilarious episodes that centered on a comical enemy. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Slayers isn't quite a masterpiece, but it's definitely a classic show all around. I do admit, however, that the first movie is a masterpiece. Have you watched it yet? It's soooooo good! Explains Gourry's origins, not to mention it was Lina's first MAJOR villain that she had to take seriously. The story is really good, too. Surprisingly deep for a Slayers storyline.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:12 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
crimsonYukito wrote:

laugh Noonsa?! HAHAHAHAHA! That's early on in season one! One of the first ever hilarious episodes that centered on a comical enemy. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Slayers isn't quite a masterpiece, but it's definitely a classic show all around. I do admit, however, that the first movie is a masterpiece. Have you watched it yet? It's soooooo good! Explains Gourry's origins, not to mention it was Lina's first MAJOR villain that she had to take seriously. The story is really good, too. Surprisingly deep for a Slayers storyline.

Yes it was hilarious but kind of sad when they all
Spoiler:
XD

I did not see the movies yet, only the original three seasons of the series. It is considered a favorite of mine dating back quite some time, but I just never seen enough of it to really consider myself a die-hard fan of it. I AM interested in checking out all the new content for it though!
ShadowMikoto
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 537
Armitage GUTS!!! : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down