Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread

2 posters

Go down

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Empty Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Vividred Operation

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Animep10

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Animep11

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Animep12

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Animep13

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Animep14

---

The discovery of Vividred Operation occurred while me and my girlfriend searched for the latest yuri anime titles of 2013. I know, Vividred Operation doesn't contain much yuri, aside from the occasional Docking kiss. Still, the series provided a lot of bonding time between the female characters only. Plus there seems to be a lot of subtext in the later episodes (it's up to 6 episodes at the moment).

Vividred Operation is from the same creative force behind the Strike Witches franchise. So I'm informed. The story starts with Akane Isshiki (played by Ayane Sakura) and her little sister Momo. They live in what Akane's considers to be the perfect society in the distant future. The Manifestation Engine runs energy throughout the world, so natural resources are no longer needed. This wonderful fictional source of energy should put an end to military force, right? Wrong! As creatures called the "Alone" come to the islands (where Akane and her family live) to cause destruction.

With the aid of her intelligent grandfather, Akane is given the ability to transform into a mahou shoujo girl to fight the Alone. Not only Akane, but also her shy best friend Aoi Futaba (voiced by Rie Murakawa). In an impressively choreographed opening battle, the two unlock the ability of "Docking". A fusion technique between the girls, transforming them into a powerful being with the "finishing blow" attack just like in every Sentai or Sentai inspired Mahou Shoujo series.

The series plays on it's fanservice with unnecessary close ups of Akane's bum (sorry, I don't find that attractive in the slightest). What catches my attention are the transformations, attacks and fight scenes. They're incredible, beautiful animated in typical modern day crisp form. The character designs are nice, A-1 Pictures does excel in making fantastic designs and weaponry for their shows. Even with so many eye-pleasing effects, the story and characters are pretty standard so far. Fun, but standards. You have the optimistic main character, the uke, the anti-social freak, the tomboy and the mysterious Homura Akemi-type girl named Rei Kuroki. Rei is shown to be working with the Alone! Another good twist, though it's nothing I haven't seen before.

It's not the second coming of Sailor Moon or Mai-HiME/Otome, however there's a lot of charm in Vividred Operation. It's cute, visual interesting and does nail the classic mahou shoujo sentai formula flawlessly. What I'd like to know is if people who are fans of Strike Witches, believe this series to be superior in any way. What do you think? Discuss, rate, rant, whatever!

HiME
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Empty Re: Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire reviews Vividred Operation Episode 9:

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread 518z2b10

Finished watching Vividred Operation episode 9. Rather than jump back on track with Rei-chan's last chances at defeating the girls, we're treated to a large yuri-fest between Wakaba and Himawari. In an attempt to have some fun OUTSIDE for a change, Wakaba talks Himawari into going out in her new cutesy dress. Remember, Wakaba has a fetish for CUTE things. >_< Ugh.

We're treated to what could be called a date between the two girls, as Wakaba fends off every male with her GLARE OF DEATH! RAWR! Following her sexism, Wakaba is approached by a magazine group who have an interest in having Himawari model for them. Himawari doesn't like the idea and wishes to spend her Sunday alone with Wakaba...looking at factory auctions. Yawwwwwn. If you ask me, the modeling thing doesn't sound so bad after all.

To forgive Wakaba for pushing her into the modeling schtick, Himawari demands that Wakaba becomes her slave for the day. We get a string of funny scenes with Wakaba asking for this and that like Jessica Simpson. Though unlike similar themes in other shows, Wakaba doesn't mind doing slave work. On the contrary, this modeling stuff is serious business! If you say so, Wakaba...

The episode ends with a touching moment between the two girls. Himawari accidentally loses her hair pins (they were a gift from Wakaba), only to have them found by Wakaba. You could literally feel the yuri here. >_< We are then treated to a short battle against an Alone. Seriously, show? You tossed in a monster battle AT THE LAST SECOND!? LIKE IT MATTERS. They defeat this easy Alone, leaving Rei's Crow boss (who was barely in the episode) to state the obvious:

"You were careless."

NO SHIT!

Sundays will never be the same for Wakaba. Or Rei for that matter, as she just happened to be present when Himawari lost her hair pins. Episode 9 doesn't really advance the story further, but there are some good points. It's nice to see the yuri part of the show take center stage because, let me tell you, Himawari and Wakaba are perfect for one another. As I've mentioned earlier, it's one big dating episode. Another plus is the seiyuu for Wakaba. I just came to the conclusion that I love her voice. You may remember Yuka Otsubo's work as Kyoko Toshino from 'Yuru Yuri'. I dunno why I like her voice work, it sounds really odd. Imagine the cutest nasally sounding female voice you've ever heard, but in Japanese.

Vividred Operation episode 9: HiME HiME HiME / HiME HiME HiME HiME HiME

3 out of 5.

+ Yuri dating timez!!!
+ Some character development
+ Yuka Otsubo's range
- No story progression.
- We needed something for Kuroki-san to do...
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Empty Re: Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire Quickie Review: Vividred Operation: Episode 11

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Bc14ce10

In the last episode of Vividred Operation, we were left with Akane's discovery that Rei Kuroki was behind the Alone attacks the whole time. Finding out that Akane and her friends are the enemy, Rei naturally lashes out at them by calling them "liars". Akane and the others spend most of the episode questioning what they're going to do next. It's emotional watching Akane contemplate after being asked the big question "what if Rei was controlling the Alone, what would you do?". Her simple "dunno" response speaks volumes. She would hate if it came down to destroying Rei.

Meanwhile at the UDF Headquarters, Grandpa Isshiki sheds some light on Rei by mentioning she is not only from another world, she is the very beacon for the Alone. A lighthouse to guide the Alone, if you will. The military are quick to throw out the termination solution without any real answers from the "threat" itself, so this sets the final act of the episode in motion. The girls come to the obvious conclusion that despite being affiliated with the Alone, they want to be friends with her. The girls easily smash their way through the UDF Headquarters, with Akane being the first to locate Rei. Akane desperately tries to break Rei free from her prison; eventually succeeding. Rei begins to trust Akane again because of this, showing Akane did not know about Rei's secret nor planned this capture. As Rei fesses up about her other world situation, "Crow-sama" shows up without warning.

How rude.

She monologues to everyone about the Alone's plans, including Rei's failure. What caught me by surprise was her devouring Rei (you read that right), transforming into a giant monstrous form with even larger wings. The shock wore off fast as it makes sense. "Crow-sama" devoured the very beacon of the Alone, thus fueling her already established (yet unexplained) powers. She mentions she has destroyed countless worlds. If Akane, Wakaba, Himawari and Aoi are going up against a planet buster, this is going to be one vivid ride!

Speaking of "vivid", it's pretty clear what may be in store for episode twelve. These types of mahou shoujo-ish anime always have a fifth member. Think back to the prior episodes where Akane would mention her "vivid" feeling around Rei. Using that exact word "vivid" teases that Rei will not only become part of the team, but also become the strongest Docking form with Akane.

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Bc14ce11

Overall: For it's quick pace and that strange Crow gulp, Vividred Operation episode 11 packs a punch.

+ Akane and Rei made up! Yay!
+ The girls breaking into the UDF Headquarters was AWESOME!
+ Rei Kuroki. Seriously, she's a wonderful character. First Homura, now her. Mysterious characters with the best intentions for themselves make a GREAT story.
+ Shades of Sailor Moon S. Sacrificing someone isn't always the right thing to do. Believe in the power of mahou shoujo friendship and thou shall be saved.

- Crow-sama is kind of lame (except her voice. I LOVE it) Her new form is pure compensation.

4 smashes against technologically advanced prison cells out of 5.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 am

Luu Sky Sapphire reviews Vividred Operation Episode 12:

"When people shut themselves in and refuse to accept others, they are bound by their own limited. But if they live and grow with others, those limits no longer exist."

Just like Sailor Moon before her, Akane proves that the Power of Love and Friendship can overcome the most bizarre of adversaries. Vividred Operation Episode 12 begins where the last episode left off, as Crow-sama becomes a gigantic entity. The military try to take her down but to no avail. Seriously, guys? If missiles and nukes didn't hurt previous Alone, what makes you think it's going to work now? No matter, because Akane and her friends are here for this final showdown. They're determined to rescue Rei Kuroki from inside Crow-sama's body. Though the question remains, how will they enter inside Crow-sama's body? BY THROWING EVERYTHING THEY'VE GOT AT HER, BUT THE KITCHEN SINK! NO! I THINK THEY THREW THE KITCHEN SINK TOO!

What do I mean by this? As shown, the girls launch an all out frontal attack using EVERY Docking combination possible to take down Crow-sama. Vivid Collider, Vivid Blade, you name it. After an intense tag team combination assault on Crow-sama using all Vivid forms, Akane manages to enter the core and immediately finds Rei. Rei is just as stunned as the audience should be! Akane breaking in was considered an impossibility by scientists and military strategists. Never underestimate the power of yuri! I mean-LOVE! :'3

Rei reaches for Akane's hand and the obvious happens. Now, at this point of any other anime, is when I rage quit. Cliche moments never work in more serious, high brow anime. This Vividred Operation however, the impossible is perfectly justified. Why should there be any logic? This is a text book mahou shoujo climax with all the trimmings! Akane's Vivid power is at it's highest with Rei, resulting in what has to be the COOLEST Vivid form of them all. Vivid Red! Who looks like a red Hatsune Miku with butterfly wings...ish.

Crow-sama is not only shocked by the transformation, she senses immense power from the combination of Rei and Akane. What she comes "The Light of Creation". Excuse me, Crow-sama? What's the "Light of Creation?" Explain it before you...*scene where Vivid Red destroys Crow-sama with Vivid Punch*...or not.

btw...THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! VIVID RED IS A BOSS!!!

Don't worry, this mystery concerning "The Light of Creation" will be solved in a minute...

*inhales deep*

The episode ends with Rei and the girls reuniting as one, treasuring their friendship for only a brief time. Why? Because, sadly, Rei is given her key and access by some entity to return back to her world through a time space door. This scene was quite heartbreaking. Up until now, Rei couldn't wait to return to her world. It was her number one goal in life and she was willing to do anything possible to achieve it. Now that she was granted her wish, she hesitates to leave her new band of friends behind. Anyone have a tissue?

As the credits roll, we get a montage of all the characters living life happily now that the Earth has once again been saved by a group of super girls. But then, on a historic
day that will be forever documented in this series...(SPOILER ALERT! Sure, my whole review was a spoiler fest, but what I'm about to reveal is the mother of all spoilers...):

Spoiler:

Overall, this episode, and the series as a whole, packed a VIVID PUNCH!!! Netting the final episode of Vividred Operation season 1, 4 and a half Rei scarfs of love out of 5.

+ VIVIDO PUNCH!!!!!!!!!
+ Rei and Akane are finally one step away from dating~
+ AWESOME NEW DOCKING SEQUENCES
+ THAT ENDING! THE REAL ENDING!!!!!!!!!!
+/- Great final confrontation, but...
- Crow-sama was too easy.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 pm

The Vividred Operation Manga (the non-Koma version) has been translated! Many thanks to wetochan for sharing this. You can read it on Dynasty-Scans:

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/vividred_operation_ch01

---

About time! There hasn't been much doujinshi for poor Vividred Operation, so the official manga will do. We get introduced to Akane, Aoi and their KOS-MOS docking rather quickly compared to the anime! ^^; It isn't terrible per se, just a rushed version of the anime by the end of it. Meeting Wakaba already?! I'm not even halfway done yet, wtf? The positives are Rei looking great as usual as does the solid artwork.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Vividred Operation anime/manga discussion thread Vividred-FUN-2-650x365

:lol:
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2588
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442

http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down