Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfic troubles - please help

3 posters

Go down

Fanfic troubles - please help Empty Fanfic troubles - please help

Post by LyriumEidolon Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:13 am

There's one thing that's been bugging me for quite a while (since before I joined actually), and I'd just like to take time to ask for some help. On fanfiction.net (with a few chapters uploaded to Deviantart as well), I've got an AU Mai Otome crossover with Starcraft involving Takumi as the main character. Although I'm really enjoying writing it, I can't help the feeling that I'm either doing something wrong or am missing something (like maybe characters are OOC or something) as I've gotten almost no feedback :(.

What I'd like to ask is: Are my feelings as stated above true, or are there some other factors involved? I'm just asking because, when you're sharing your works with others, having so little in the way of feedback can be quite demoralizing, and like I said earlier, it's been depressing me for quite some time.
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 331
Armitage GUTS!!! : 59

Back to top Go down

Fanfic troubles - please help Empty Re: Fanfic troubles - please help

Post by IlliterateKoi Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I haven't read your fanfiction, so I can't comment on the actual writing, but I can guess at why you aren't getting much feedback...

The large majority of the Mai Series fandom focuses on ShizNat, and that is what they look for when deciding which fanfictions they should read and then review. It's sad that stories where other characters are the mains don't get as much attention, but unfortunately, that's just how it is ^_^;;

Also, if you haven't already, make sure that you are allowing anonymous reviews -- some people are too lazy to log in.

If you are enjoying writing then try not to let the lack of feedback get to you and just write because you're having fun doing it :)

Also, why don't you make a thread here for your story? :3
IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi
Goldfish wanker of Camelot

Bubuzuke points : 4261
Armitage GUTS!!! : 441

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 pm

There's more than just a Shizuru x Natsuki focused community on ff.net. But first, let me begin by saying that if you're looking for feedback, you've come to the wrong place. Our members rarely have enough time to read extensive fics. Our fanfiction forum is used to store fanfiction so they have a longer life on a site other than ff.net. Furthermore, it's good to promote your work to a new audience. Like Koi said, your works may get feedback here if you would be so kind to show them off.

The biggest reason away from ShizNat focused readers is that you're combing Mai-Otome with StarCraft. A great combination, I love the game and Mai-Otome is my Mai-Series of choice. However, I don't think many Mai-Series fans are StarCraft fans as well. It's hard to have your audience transcend beyond what they're usually expecting in order to enjoy a whole new thrill ride. One thing is certain though, your fics have a home here. If you want, that is.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LyriumEidolon Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm

IlliterateKoi wrote:
Also, why don't you make a thread here for your story? :3

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that. Two questions I'd like to ask beforehand, though: Do you think I should put it in this thread as the story is a main focus of what I originally asked here, or post it as a different thread entirely (Personally, I'm tempted to go for option 2, I'm just not sure whether that is the correct course of action to take). Secondly, I tried looking at one or two other threads briefly, but saw individual chapters. My question is: can I just paste a link to the story? Copypasting the chapter contents would take too long, I reckon.

I'd also like to thank Luu Sky Sapphire for the other pieces of advice and reassurance as well (I don't know how to quote multiple people in one reply, which is why I'm posting my thanks in this way). Many thanks to you as well, Luu :)
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 331
Armitage GUTS!!! : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 pm

LyriumEidolon wrote:
I'd also like to thank Luu Sky Sapphire for the other pieces of advice and reassurance as well (I don't know how to quote multiple people in one reply, which is why I'm posting my thanks in this way). Many thanks to you as well, Luu :)

You're welcome, Ly. :) Any questions you might have, just ask anytime. I'll let Koi take it from here though.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IlliterateKoi Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am

LyriumEidolon wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that. Two questions I'd like to ask beforehand, though: Do you think I should put it in this thread as the story is a main focus of what I originally asked here, or post it as a different thread entirely (Personally, I'm tempted to go for option 2, I'm just not sure whether that is the correct course of action to take). Secondly, I tried looking at one or two other threads briefly, but saw individual chapters. My question is: can I just paste a link to the story? Copypasting the chapter contents would take too long, I reckon.

Make a new thread for it. If you have more than one fanfic you want to share, they should each have their own separate thread :)

It's better if you can copy over the text, BUT, if there is a lot to copy a link will be fine. Just write up a quick summery of the story to go with the link so that people know what it's about :3

I don't know how to quote multiple people in one reply

For future reference, you just need to click 'multi-quote' on each of the posts you want to quote, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the 'post reply' button.

If you need any more help feel free to ask!

IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi

Bubuzuke points : 4261
Armitage GUTS!!! : 441

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down