Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears...

4 posters

Go down

Episode - Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears... Empty Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears...

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Discussion thread for Mai HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears...
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Episode - Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears... Empty Re: Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears...

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Episode - Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears... Vlcsna52

Unlike the previous episode where it was just all Natsuki, Mai-HiME Episode V: Rain — Tears... focuses heavily on Mai. The difference between these two episodes is that Mai's character study is taken seriously, while Natsuki gets stuck in the fanservice pit. We start the episode off with Chie and friends planning an all-you-can-eat cake buffet. Chie invites Mai along and though Mai loves the idea, she informs everyone that she must work. All work...no play.

On her way out, Mai spots Miyu Greer and has a little chat with her. She discusses the rainy weather with Miyu, who comments on the weather as if she were a forecast app. A machine.

Nah. Couldn't be. Trollface

Mai also asks about being the daughter of Joseph Greer, who runs the chapel. Miyu says he is her official adoptive father. After this very boring discussion (it's okay Mai, I'm not blaming you), we head back to Linden Baum where Kazuya and Akane plan their next honeymoon to Okinawa. Midori makes a comment that it must be nice being young. When I first heard that, I thought to myself "Just how old are you!?" We'd get an answer later in the series. No wait...that wasn't the REAL answer. *wink*

You have to love Chie here. Rather than pig out at the cake buffet, she brought the entire gang to Linden Baum to keep Mai company. It's rarely mentioned in our fandom about how much of a good friend Chie is. The topic of Mai's brother Takumi is brought up by Yayoi (the worst side character ever! LOL!) who mentions that he is rooming with Akira Okuzaki. Now at this point in the series, Akira is ranked as the top "pretty boy" at Fuka. Akira is, but not Reito!? Not going to argue with Chie here, but it's amazing that an introvert like Akira could be ranked so high on any sort of popularity list. Then again, Natsuki and Shizuru are beloved throughout Fuuka and they're as introvert as they come. The thought of Akira rooming with Takumi sends Aoi and Yayoi into a sort of yaoi fantasy. Thank goodness Mai interrupted their creepy imagination. I love TakuAki to death, but not as two males! XD

We cut over to Takumi and Akira to see what they're up to. The first thing we see is Takumi embracing his feminine side with cooking. He asks Akira if he's interested in having dinner and Akira (caught lifting weights...so sexy....) reacts a little harshly. Telling Takumi that REAL men don't cook. Someone lives in the stone age despite being a girl, though we're not supposed to know that yet.

Back at Linden Baum, the girls come up with a new idea for Mai by inviting her to karaoke. Sadly, Mai passes on the chance due to work. Before the girls leave, they ponder why Mai always turns them down, even wondering what she's saving up for. After a night with Mikoto, Mai shares a conversation with her brother before dropping him off. One of the things he mentions is that Reito's very good to him. On her way back, Mai senses something strange about a bus that passes her by. She waves it off and continues on her way to work. Akane is seen getting on the same bus as Miyu stares from outside.

Soon after, reports of a bus accident start spreading around the school. Kazuya questions Akane since she was on the bus and once again, Miyu suddenly appears. Her and Akane know something. So do Sakomizu and Natsuki, as they discuss the bus accident in greater detail. Sakomizu mentions that a battle took place at the site of the accident; involving a HiME. Following this is a scene where Mashiro comments on the situation, including the burden of the HiME. In retrospect, Sunrise was smart to tease Miyu as being one of the HiME. It's totally what they did as Miyu was part of Mashiro's monolouging. Back at school, one of the boys (forget his name) organizes a boy and girl group to visit their teach Mr. Sawada, only to reveal the truth about Takumi. Before we learn of this truth, Mai sees the bus again and senses something. She grabs a taxi and chases after the bus, only to find it blasted to pieces. Natsuki arrives and hides with Mai while the organization known as District 1 cover up everything that happened; which includes memory wipes for all the people in the bus. This is the reality of the HiME as Natsuki points out and District 1's plot to assemble the HiME can't be for any good.

At the hospital, the girls and boys awkwardly admit they know about Takumi's illness. Something they weren't supposed to outright know! Nevertheless, Mai is left remembering back to her childhood, a similar time when she tried to pick up Takumi by herself, only to be told that her father had already picked him up. This is where the episode shines, with Mai's despair and tendency to try so hard. Tate comes outside and offers Mai an umbrella, still being his smart ass self around her. Normally Mai can handle the teasing games, but today was not that day. Mai is seen crying her frustrations out. She tells Tate she couldn't keep those frustrated feelings locked up inside, even hinting beforehand that she appreciates being spoiled for a change. Perfect character moment for Mai as that shows she is tired of doing things for others and never herself.

+ Mai Tokiha character development
+ The mysterious Miyu and District 1
+ Good pacing
+ Akira Okuzaki lifting weights! <33333
+ Sunrise making you wonder who could be a HiME

Episode - Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears... Vlcsna53
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Episode - Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears... Empty Re: Mai-HiME Episode 5: Rain — Tears...

Post by Kuga Natsuki Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:22 am

I didn't get around watching episode 5 (yet), but I will say that episode 5 is probably one of my least favorite episodes ^_^; I was pleased though that Sunrise was able to create some character development for Mai, but in the big picture, I don't know, episode 5 just didn't really click to me when I first saw it :\
Kuga Natsuki
Kuga Natsuki
Space Samurai Marshall Banana
Space Samurai Marshall Banana

Bubuzuke points : 9709
Armitage GUTS!!! : 593

http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hildebrant Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm

one of the things I liked about this episode is that Mai and Tate dropped the usual Tsundere couple thing and were just having a normal conversation. It was refreshing. One thing we got that was a hint of Tate's old injury and leaving the Kendo club when he looks down at his knee. The whole thing was a way of building up both of their characters. Tate wasn't even goofing around towards the end when he had a seriousl ook on his face talking about how its stupid to tell someone to do their best when its obvious that they are doing it.

The ep ends with Mai and Tate acting a bit more friendly with one another, something I always approve of
hildebrant
hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by PostoronnimV Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 am

The biggest minus of this episode, it was Shizuru-less!

Though this wasn't a bad episode... far from my favorite, but still I enjoyed it...
PostoronnimV
PostoronnimV
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 367
Armitage GUTS!!! : 120

https://www.youtube.com/user/XxPostoronnimVxX

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:58 pm

PostoronnimV wrote:The biggest minus of this episode, it was Shizuru-less!

Though this wasn't a bad episode... far from my favorite, but still I enjoyed it...

No Shizuru. No life. Shizuru Kaichou

It was a great episode that tickles the brain upon watching it. Or if you watch it from the perspective of a new viewer. Many times I wondered who was a HiME. Except for Shizuru; ShizNat AMVs and *very* early signs made it obvious. XD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by PostoronnimV Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
No Shizuru. No life.  Shizuru Kaichou
Definitely!

But yeah... major plus of this episode, as you already pointed out in your review, is 'Mai Tokiha character development'... so it not quite but still somewhat compensates for the lack of Shizuru...
PostoronnimV
PostoronnimV
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 367
Armitage GUTS!!! : 120

https://www.youtube.com/user/XxPostoronnimVxX

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm

PostoronnimV wrote:Definitely!

But yeah... major plus of this episode, as you already pointed out in your review, is 'Mai Tokiha character development'... so it not quite but still somewhat compensates for the lack of Shizuru...

As long as the story and characters move forward, I'm satisfied really. Having more Shizuru would be a bonus though. :'3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down