Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion

+4
MidnightPersona
Chibi Rachy
Kino karutta-chan
WolvenBane08
8 posters

Go down

Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion Empty Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion

Post by WolvenBane08 Sat May 07, 2011 1:10 pm

(Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so I'm putting it here. Feel free to move it.)

This will probably be a touchy subject with lots of passionate debate (I know I'm passionate about it), but I feel it needs to be addressed. Could be because I'm so put-out right nao.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out that I've been reading a lot of Harry Potter fanfics recently. Or rather, I would be. Nine times out of ten I find myself closing out of the tab and selecting a new one because the characters were just SO out of character it made me want to vomit.

I talked to someone about that, and they said that the OOC-ness was creativity and originality on the authors part. I just kinda sat there and stared at them before walking away. As an aspiring author, OOC-ness is a touchy subject, and I was already in a bad mood anyway.

Needless to say, I disagree with my friend. I believe that OOC-ness in a fanfiction is an insult to the person who created the characters in the first place. It's also an insult to the readers who were looking for a good story about their favorite characters.

That being said, I can understand how a character might become SLIGHTLY OOC throughout the course of a fanfic. Especially if that character starts out as a kid. I can also understand how a character would be SLIGHTLY OOC at the start of a fanfic if that character was a kid in the original story, and is nao an adult. Such things are natural. I do not act like I did 15 years ago (or even one year ago), so why should a character? It's called development.

Even if an aspiring fanfic author does go for the character development aspect of OOC-ness, certain aspects of the character should ALWAYS remain the same. For example: Hermoine should always be a bookworm who loves to study and learn. Change that, and nao it's not even Hermoine. Kain (FF4) should NEVER be a happy-go-lucky guy that prances around giggling. Gabrielle (from Xena) should always be adorable and desire to settle issues with the words instead of the sword. Xena...actually, I'm not even going to touch Xena. Too complicated.
But you get the point.

Also, an AU fanfic IS NOT an excuse for OOC-ness. AU fanfics can be great when written properly, but the characters are still themselves and their basic personality should not be altered.

nao that I've rambled enough, what are your thoughts?
WolvenBane08
WolvenBane08
Shizuru Fujino-Mama a.k.a. The Viola-tor

Bubuzuke points : 950
Armitage GUTS!!! : 285

http://wolvenbane08.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion Empty Re: Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion

Post by Kino karutta-chan Sat May 07, 2011 2:22 pm

WolvenBane08 wrote:Even if an aspiring fanfic author does go for the character development aspect of OOC-ness, certain aspects of the character should ALWAYS remain the same. For example: Hermoine should always be a bookworm who loves to study and learn. Change that, and nao it's not even Hermoine. Kain (FF4) should NEVER be a happy-go-lucky guy that prances around giggling. Gabrielle (from Xena) should always be adorable and desire to settle issues with the words instead of the sword. Xena...actually, I'm not even going to touch Xena. Too complicated.
But you get the point.
Reading that makes me want to use this "D:". People, how could you do that?? ;_;

I am pretty sensitive with OOC myself. Sure I don't care about a little bit of OOC-ness, but that *looks above* Makes me want to cry D:

Oh well, it's so damn hard to find good FanFictions :< I am always happy when I find some. Well, even if I think the FF is well written there is still too much OOC-ness in it.
Is kinda strange, because I don't always care THIS much about it, but that is only when the story is GOOD anyway, I have fun reading it and it isn't too much OOC-ness.

I just begun to read a FF with too much OOC-ness in it. You have no idea how mad I got over it. After some chapters I couldn't stand it anymore and dropped it.

Oh well, blubb.
Ahem. If you want to read a story with characters you don't know, you don't read a FF. But sadely there too many FFs which are like stories with charas you don't know :<
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion Empty Re: Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion

Post by Chibi Rachy Sun May 08, 2011 12:42 pm

The OOC thing is part of the reason why I read very little fanfiction. Doesn't matter the fandom. I'm very critical of it and that includes my own work as well. I simply won't write a character if I cannot get a feel for them and their motives. I don't like it when others write characters they cannot capture in the least.

If you can't get a character down, don't write them. It's that simple. You ruin otherwise good fic when you try to include the entire cast and you know you can't do everyone well. If you want to do that character, then study them and rewatch them in action. Try to think like them and get into their heads. If it's a character you really love and want to portray, then give the effort and work to make them shine in your work.

I am most critical with this when it comes to the Simoun fandom. There are very few writers, and so I love when new fic appears, but it's simply awful when the characters are not themselves in some fashion.

In the end...if you're going to write good fanfic, put in the effort to get to know the characters. Study and study again. Contemplate the fic and its flow with that character. An author who does not put forth this kind of effort should probably just try original fic instead.
Chibi Rachy
Chibi Rachy
Sibylla Aurea of Simoun Fanfic
Sibylla Aurea of Simoun Fanfic

Bubuzuke points : 479
Armitage GUTS!!! : 174

http://chibirachy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

^ Everything Chibstah just said.

I write mainly for Mai HiME/Otome, despite never finishing both series.

And yet I manage a pretty good job, because I have studied the characters far more than anyone would think.

My most popular fanfic, Death Row, was an experiment that turned into a full fledged monster of personality and depth.

If you take the time to study the characters/personalities they have, you're going to do a much better job.

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Mon May 09, 2011 4:18 am

Well, I don't know what I can add really other than I agree with what everyone's already stated, and instead of repeating I'll add in a little of my own.

Some characters I may like I *know* I can't write worth a damn. I love the show h2o: Just Add Water (don't judge me. xD) but I would NEVER write anything for the show because I would fail to much with the characters, and I wouldn't write Teen Titans because, though I may get a few toons right, I'd fail with to many to do good.

Some people just CAN'T do certain characters, but sometimes practice makes perfect... that's when you tell people "idk wtf I'm doing, give advice" not "I AM Fumi AND THESE CHARACTERS ARE BETTER!"

Some people... :shakes head sadly.:
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4253
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by WolvenBane08 Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 am

I agree, Raven. I've got nothing against a person who writes an OOC fanfic, but asks for advice on how to make it better. I admire that in a person. It takes GUTS to admit that you don't know what the hell you're doing and to ask for advice, knowing full well that you may get the odd person who will tear your story to shreds (which is just plain rude).
WolvenBane08
WolvenBane08

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 pm

Some authors take liberties that way to make their already establish character fit the story's universe. What the author doesn't realize is this 'version' of the established character could be someone else. At times, they have accidentally created an original character but cover it up as (for example) Shizuru Fujino post-Natsuki no Prelude. So you sort of waste a potential character that way.

I'm not the greatest author although I try to stay true to the original spirit of the established character. The point of taking an established character is to show your audience how he or she would deal with the world and O.C.s you've created. Like Rach, I don't read much fanfiction either unless it's from here as I consider most of you highly overlooked/underrated.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:19 am

bump

Bumping this topic because I'm starting to notice OOC moments in Rizzoli and Isles fanfiction at ff.net. ^^; Some authors have to make Jane more of a coward in order to expose her submissiveness? Jane has shown weakness, but she is no coward. And it would be OOC of her to have affairs with suspects she knows are guilty as charged. Ugh. Stupid.

facepalm
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't mind a BIT of OCC-ness if the plot makes them that way and they remain deep inside true to their nature.

What I can't excuse is when authors completely butcher the character and create a new one, completely different to what that character was like in the begining. Their reason being that it's an AU or years into the future on the story line of that series.

ONLY if the plot draws me in is that I continue reading. It's like wondering WHAT IF... but are very rare cases where I do this.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:22 am

shezaei-neko wrote:I don't mind a BIT of OCC-ness if the plot makes them that way and they remain deep inside true to their nature.

What I can't excuse is when authors completely butcher the character and create a new one, completely different to what that character was like in the begining. Their reason being that it's an AU or years into the future on the story line of that series.

ONLY if the plot draws me in is that I continue reading. It's like wondering WHAT IF... but are very rare cases where I do this.

The worst part is never explaining the drastic change in-between year gaps. As I've mentioned before, they change so damn drastically, he or she might as well be a completely different character all together. ^^;
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction, author and OOC-ness rant/discussion Empty Fun Writing Analysis Tools

Post by WolvenBane08 Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

So in my Rhetoric class today we basically putzed around on the internet submitting various bits of writing to a slew of different websites that analysed them for us. It was entirely too much fun.

The first website is I Write Like
"Check which famous writer you write like with this statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style and compares them with those of the famous writers."

Then there's Textalyser, which gives you a lengthy (but super-useful) analysis of your text, including your longest sentence, most-used words, and overall readability of the submitted text.
I'll be using this one a lot for my own writing from here on out.

Writer's Diet gives your text a fitness-grade. Most of mine ranked Lean, but I had one "Fit & Trim" that will need a bit of editing. Basically it shows you the unnecessary "fat" in your text; the full diagnosis (free) downloads to a PDF and goes into more detail.

Writing Sample Analyzer will analyze your text like Textalyser, but not quite as in-depth. It'll give you grades on three different readability scales and tell you the approximate grade-level of your text (i.e. if it's written so a 4th-grader can read it easily).

There are a few other sites we used as well, but I'll add those in a bit. Gotta run off to my next class right now.
WolvenBane08
WolvenBane08

Back to top Go down

Post by midori's crazy398 Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for the tools!

Now at the original topic, OOC-ness irks me very much. Unless changes are made in the way Jenna originally stated or made off of leads from canon material and thus fit, there is no excuse for going OOC. I always do my best to practice what I preach, even moreso when I do roleplaying, and it makes me cringe so hard when I find those trash fics that among other things, tear the characterization to shreds. Especially for characters dear to my heart like Francesca Lucchini or Saki Watanabe. So no, never go OOC, its like going AWOL in the military.
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2588
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442

http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WolvenBane08 Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:11 am

I'm just trying to figure out how my writing tools post wound up in this thread. Could have sworn I made it a topic of its own....
WolvenBane08
WolvenBane08

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:29 pm

When I come across fics where characters are OOC, it's a deal-breaker. I immediately close the tab and search for another fic to read, which is actually really really hard these days, for some reason.

And like the others have already pointed out, I can understand if the characters exhibit some behavior that may be different from canon, but if and only IF something drastic happened to them throughout the course of the story AND we know about it (implied or otherwise). And especially like Jenna pointed out, AU or kid-to-adult fics are not an excuse to completely change the core of a character. Yes, if a character grew up in a different world, they may have different opinions and even overall view on life, BUT THEY NEVER STOP LIKING/DISLIKING THE THINGS THEY DID IN CANON.

...why is that so hard to grasp?
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down