Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The original Mai Hime manga

4 posters

Go down

The original Mai Hime manga Empty The original Mai Hime manga

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am

not bad as fans say! :3 Nao kicked bum as strictly villain! The artwork is pretty awesome too!!!!! luis is right that the anime is better....-raises fist- manga is great too! XP

Edit by Luu Sky Sapphire: Mai HiME Manga Chapter guide

Volume 1[1]

1. Boy Meets Girls
2. I Hate It!
3. This Ain't Logic!
4. Long Night

5. Be By My Side...
6. Flaming Memories
7. Student Council Enforcement Dept.
8. Ori-HiME Squad

Volume 2[2]

9. Nao Yuki
10. I Don't Know Anything
11. Mikoto Minagi
12. Expectation & Truth
13. Akane Higurashi

14. Koumokuten
15. Mirror Wall
16. Light of the Law
17. 17 Years Old

Volume 3[3]

18. Life in the pits
19. Groping in the Dark
20. Elegy of the Beasts
21. No Way!!
22. Que Sera, Sera

23. Princess - Princess
24. Knuckle Punch
25. End & Beginning
26. Princess Star

Volume 4

27. Cultural Festival
28. Family
29. Izzak
30. White Rabbit

31. The Brother Dear Quiz
32. Student Council President Suzushiro
33. The Underground Ruins

Volume 5

34. Key to the Future
35. Mother and Daughter
36. Queen
37. The Obsidian Lord
38. The Beginning of the End
39. The Commencement of Battle

40. Mai VS Natsuki
41. Justice Doesn't Die
42. Rematch of the Future
43. The Sword
44. Welcome to Fuuka Academy

SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

The original Mai Hime manga Empty Re: The original Mai Hime manga

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Actually, I'm not gonna disagree (completely). These past few months, I've grown to appreciate the manga better. It's no complex story that could possibly rival the character driven anime incarnation. The Mai-HiME manga is more like a slam bang action series. Like your typical Shonen, non-stop battles (that are a lot more explosive than anything in the anime). Most fans of the anime never read the manga (I believe it's out of print by now), and they're usually shocked by the contents of the manga. The age ol' belief is "the manga is always better" to many.

Let's go over the basics of the manga. It was written by Kimura Noboru, who took the beloved characters you remember from the anime and made them somewhat...shallow. The art was done by Sato Kenetsu, who I've gotta tip my hat to. The artwork is absolutely beautiful. A little bold, yet beautiful. The eyes look nice and the girls are sexier than ever. Just take a peek at Chapter 18's introduction page in the hot springs. *licks lips* Too good to be true. ^_^ Here's some obvious and useless information, when Mai-HiME manga ran wild, they were all sealed because of nudity. Duh right? It doesn't just end there, Nao Yuuki is a lot more daring in the manga. Feeling up Tate's crotch and all...yup, can't have school kids and moms accidentally reading that. Rolling Eyes

Speaking of "Sideburns", Tate is actually the star attraction of the Mai-HiME manga series. Mai Tokiha is one of the three main characters along with Tate and Natsuki, but it's not her story. Oh man, you wanna talk about characters taking a backseat? Look no further than your beloved Shizuru (who's not a HiME in the manga). She does communicate with Natsuki here and there, but the lovage and chemistry from the anime isn't there. Why? Natsuki is 100% straight in the manga and loves Tate! *GASP* Hard to believe, huh? Personally, there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather have each incarnation be different, than have a repeat. Mai-HiME EXA fixed that issue with Chapter 4...so there's no need to panic. ^_~

Like the Mai-Otome anime (haven't read the manga yet), the action in the Mai-HiME manga is vastly superior than the Mai-HiME anime. The battles are intense, destructive and very cool. There's just one problem though, it doesn't make any sense. The students at Fuuka Academy are aware of the HiME, and they don't flinch at all when a battle of epic proportions happens right in front of them.

It's refreshing to see Haruka Suzushiro as a HiME with a Child, Koumokuten. Then it hit me, it doesn't matter if Haruka has powers or not, she always remains the same loud mouth drill sergeant type. XD

So much to discuss and I'm sorry to leave your thread hanging, Megan. XD I found myself these past couple of weeks re-reading the manga carefully. I still appreciate the artistry (even when I hated the manga) and now respect how different it is. I'm just content that Mai-HiME EXA isn't copying the Mai-HiME anime frame by frame too, although it does feel similar in places so far.

More thoughts on the manga coming soon. study *multitasks*
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Mai-HiME manga. I loooved it. That's what I read first before I even knew of the anime's existance! To me, the HiME manga had a longer storyline and longer stories tend to make me get more attached to the characters. It also had more of an easier story line to understand, in a way. I mean, in the anime, there was so many character side-stories you had to keep up with, but in the manga, it's just Mai's (who's background was even MORE boring) Natsuki's (Who, imo, had the most interesting backgound) and Tate (Who got a more interesting background than his anime counterpart) I had and easier time understanding the manga. In the anime, sometimes, I would come to an episode and not understand who anyone was talking about because there were too many characters and I had to go back and re-watch and episode.

My only complaint about the manga, is now ShizNat. I say now because before watching the anime, I shipped Natsuki/Tate. Like, everytime Shizuru would come in, I'd be like 'Who's that again? What's her name?' Then I watched the anime expecting things to be pretty much the same. They weren't. That's why I was suprised when I found that Reito was the obsidian lord, it was Mikoto helping him, Natsuki didn't have a small boob complex, Shizuru was more prominent, Nagi didn't die, Natsuki's mom was dead, Shizuru was a lesbian (that's why I didn't realize till episode 22), Alyssa and Natsuki had no relation to eachother and the list goes on and on....

However, in the anime, I did like that it was from Mai's point of view because I could relate more to it because the herione was a girl...Although, I've never broken down in a hospital parking lot.

Now, while I liked both Mai HiME's adaptions, Mai-Otome was a different story. Once I got done watching HiME, I watched Otome. BLEEEEGH. I was so confused. I still am. I couldn't tell you what the hell was going on. Now, in the Otome manga, which I loved, I could go over with you why this was happening, why that was happening. To me, Otome anime was just loads of fanservice. Can someone say ANN-OYING? At least the manga had a good storyline and an all around more fun experience.
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

The original Mai Hime manga Empty Mai HiME manga

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:37 am

Kara wrote:Mai-HiME manga. I loooved it. That's what I read first before I even knew of the anime's existance! To me, the HiME manga had a longer storyline and longer stories tend to make me get more attached to the characters. It also had more of an easier story line to understand, in a way. I mean, in the anime, there was so many character side-stories you had to keep up with, but in the manga, it's just Mai's (who's background was even MORE boring) Natsuki's (Who, imo, had the most interesting backgound) and Tate (Who got a more interesting background than his anime counterpart) I had and easier time understanding the manga. In the anime, sometimes, I would come to an episode and not understand who anyone was talking about because there were too many characters and I had to go back and re-watch and episode.

Wow Kara, you pretty much feel the same way I do when it comes to the actual attachment of characters. It's difficult to do that in a short series, unless it's a 13 episode one like the character driven and bloody Elfen Lied. To me, it was Tate's story all the way. It started with him, having such a rough backstory and now in the middle of this HiME warfare going on, the guy is the hero. I dunno, I thought the anime was pretty straight and I was able to remember everybody's names the first time. I had to read each manga book twice to really understand everything, standard Luu reading. Plus I love examining the beautiful art by Sato Ken-etsu.

Kara wrote:My only complaint about the manga, is now ShizNat. I say now because before watching the anime, I shipped Natsuki/Tate. Like, everytime Shizuru would come in, I'd be like 'Who's that again? What's her name?' Then I watched the anime expecting things to be pretty much the same. They weren't. That's why I was suprised when I found that Reito was the obsidian lord, it was Mikoto helping him, Natsuki didn't have a small boob complex, Shizuru was more prominent, Nagi didn't die, Natsuki's mom was dead, Shizuru was a lesbian (that's why I didn't realize till episode 22), Alyssa and Natsuki had no relation to eachother and the list goes on and on....

I saw the anime first, so my feelings are the complete opposite. Everything in the manga was a major surprise to me and I didn't embrace it well at all. Natsuki and Alyssa being related rocked my world, but not as much as ShizNat being completely absent. This was truly an alternative universe. (hence why I call my forum Mai-Multiverse. XD Lots of different incarnations within the Mai series.)

Kara wrote:However, in the anime, I did like that it was from Mai's point of view because I could relate more to it because the herione was a girl...Although, I've never broken down in a hospital parking lot.

LOL As much as I liked Mai, I didn't relate to her at all. Neither did I relate with Tate in the manga and he was a guy. Seems like the other characters had something that spoke to me and related to my own experiences. Anime Natsuki, Akane and Midori are major examples.

Kara wrote:Now, while I liked both Mai HiME's adaptions, Mai-Otome was a different story. Once I got done watching HiME, I watched Otome. BLEEEEGH. I was so confused. I still am. I couldn't tell you what the hell was going on. Now, in the Otome manga, which I loved, I could go over with you why this was happening, why that was happening. To me, Otome anime was just loads of fanservice. Can someone say ANN-OYING? At least the manga had a good storyline and an all around more fun experience.

Mai-Otome anime did kick up the fanservice, that is 100% true. I still loved it regardless, Arika being my prime reason for watching it. I'm a huge mark for her seeing how she started out a n00b and ended up becoming the best Otome in the galaxy. Like Sailor Moon or Goku from DBZ, Arika just continued to improve and overcome the odds. Plus there are other things that made Otome great like the overall character development of Mashiro and the classic Darth Vader/Emperor relationship of Nina Wang and Nagi.

About the Mai-Otome manga, which I've never read (may someone provide downloads in a new thread if possible?), forum member Kruger Natsuki told me about it here:

https://ltahime.forumotion.com/general-shiznat-discussion-f2/shizuru-and-natsuki-shiznat-fanart-t6.htm

Mashiro being a guy is yet another interesting change. Oh the Mai-Multiverse. Endless possibilities. I love you
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Attention! O_O

I have made a copy of the Mai HiME Manga thread here (from the miscellaneous section), since I want to read more opinions on it. :D
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 am

i wish i had the scan of Nao on top of tate >< its so sexy...she's not wearing any panties!!! -dies-
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 pm

SpiderNeKoHiME wrote:i wish i had the scan of Nao on top of tate >< its so sexy...she's not wearing any panties!!! -dies-

^_^ I'll make a scan for you, I'm fond of that shot myself. That's another thing I liked about the Mai-HiME manga. A tad more nudity fanservice. Razz
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:03 pm

If you guys go to MangaFox, the manga's on there, I believe the particular scene you're looking for is chapter 8-10? Somewhere round that
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:47 pm

=_= Ori-HiME Squad, go! The Mai Hime manga is better for a number of reasons. People I know weren't happy to discover the Mai Hime anime is my least favorite. It was too serious for my tastes. I do like it, just not as much as the manga and Otome. I want to be entertained without much character driven story. The illustration by Kenetsu Satō is second to none, the anime had very bland animation when you compare. <_< Natsuki is more 'alive' in the manga if that makes sense. lmao.
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:=_= Ori-HiME Squad, go! The Mai Hime manga is better for a number of reasons. People I know weren't happy to discover the Mai Hime anime is my least favorite. It was too serious for my tastes. I do like it, just not as much as the manga and Otome. I want to be entertained without much character driven story. The illustration by Kenetsu Satō is second to none, the anime had very bland animation when you compare. <_< Natsuki is more 'alive' in the manga if that makes sense. lmao.

Yes, yes and YES. I get what you're sayin about Natsuki bein' more alive in the manga. I think it was because Natsuki was shown much more than she was in the anime. Because most of the anime episodes were Mai-centered and it was only towards the end did Natsuki become more frequently shown. While in the manga, she was developed on in the very beggining and she actually interacted with more than a couple characters haha
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 am

Kara wrote:If you guys go to MangaFox, the manga's on there, I believe the particular scene you're looking for is chapter 8-10? Somewhere round that

Presto-Prego!

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/mai_hime/c008/20.html

What's all the fuss about, Tate? I'd love to be in your place and I don't even like Nao. Rolling Eyes

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:=_= Ori-HiME Squad, go! The Mai Hime manga is better for a number of reasons. People I know weren't happy to discover the Mai Hime anime is my least favorite. It was too serious for my tastes. I do like it, just not as much as the manga and Otome. I want to be entertained without much character driven story. The illustration by Kenetsu Satō is second to none, the anime had very bland animation when you compare. <_< Natsuki is more 'alive' in the manga if that makes sense. lmao.

Kara wrote:

Yes, yes and YES. I get what you're sayin about Natsuki bein' more alive in the manga. I think it was because Natsuki was shown much more than she was in the anime. Because most of the anime episodes were Mai-centered and it was only towards the end did Natsuki become more frequently shown. While in the manga, she was developed on in the very beggining and she actually interacted with more than a couple characters haha

I wanted to eavesdrop into this conversation to agree with the both of you. Well, to a degree. The problem with us anime fans is that we need to get access to drama CDs and Natsuki no Prelude to have anime Natsuki's character develop. However, there are fans who aren't even aware of either, leaving Natsuki's mystery image where it is. The manga indeed gave us a more "alive" Natsuki. One with a better sense of humor on top of that. I openly admit this and I'm a bigger fan of anime Natsuki. ^_^
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down