Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome]

+8
ATHENAx514
MissSoccerNinja
Miya1
GAP
TomoeMarguerite
Ice Silver Crystal
Luu Sky Sapphire
Miyotakano
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome] Empty Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome]

Post by Miyotakano Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Tomoe Marguerite (トモエ・マルグリット, Tomoe Maruguritto?) is a secondary character in My Otome who is the 2nd top Coral student in Windbloom. She is also Chie Hallard's room attendant and later on in the series becomes an antagonist. In the anime, she is voiced by Rie Tanaka in Japanese and by Tracy Sutton in English.[1]

My-OtomeTomoe has attempted to bump Nina from her top spot and eliminate Arika through underhanded means. Although she usually disguises her malicious intentions with an image of perfection, her vulnerability shows when Shizuru (for whom she harbors romantic feelings) is concerned. Both Shizuru and Chie are aware of her dual nature.

With Miya Clochette as her accomplice, Tomoe spends most of the early series plotting against Arika, being responsible for stealing and selling her uniform, switching a bag of salt with a bag of sugar, tampering with her transponder bracelet, and even hiring a group of thugs to rape Arika and cause her to lose her Otome powers. Miya is caught and expelled, but Chie suspects that Tomoe was involved and warns her to stop her schemes. Tomoe tries to drop a vial of acid on Arika, but manages to injure Erstin instead when she pushes Arika out of the way.

Tomoe later leads a group of Schwarz-controlled Otome, the Valkyries. In episode 21, she strikes a deal with the occupying Artai military force and brings a captured Shizuru under her auspices; quickly taking advantage of the situation and proceeding to realize a physical relationship with the older Otome. In a fight with Arika, she reveals that her attempts to kill Arika have been because Tomoe saw her as a possible rival to Shizuru's affections. There is a definite parallel between Shizuru in My-HiME and Tomoe: they both harbor possessive lesbian feelings and are both willing to kill based on them. The writers even have Shizuru comment on how much Tomoe resembles her younger self - a fourth-wall breaking reference probably intended to remind fans of the My-HiME Shizuru's own psychotic episode. During the final battle, she injures Chie, who was protecting Arika, and comments on how everyone seems to turn against her in the end, referencing her revelation that Shizuru was only using her and had no real feelings for the younger girl. In return, Arika defeats her and her robe shatters and she falls seemingly to her death. However, it was revealed she was alive. As Sakomizu was about place her in a body bag, she quickly stands up and begins screaming at him. However, she is still hurting from her fight with Arika and winces visibly in pain.

Tomoe has an infantilism fetish, as revealed in the drama CDs, due to a prank gone wrong by Chie. In one scene where she is seen with Shizuru, various children's toys are scattered around the room, though how they were used exactly is left up to the imagination of the viewer.

My-Otome ZweiIn the second episode of the OVA, the presidential candidate Ishigami (the art teacher from My-HiME) gives a lacklustre but emotive speech and introduces Tomoe as his girlfriend. Tomoe, however, quickly becomes exasparated by Ishigami's antics and kicks him forcefully off the platform, declaring herself candidate. Tomoe loses her temper at the crowd, who call her, among other things, a "traitor" and "witch" before she departs, leaving the bus hijacking incident up to current president Yukino Chrysant and her otome Haruka Armitage. It is also worth noting that the credibility of Ishigami's claim on the status of his relationship with Tomoe is dubious and inconclusive, given Tomoe's treatment of Ishigami as well as her sexual orientation as portrayed in My-Otome.

GEM: Tomoe was one of the students who answered Sergay's calls to become Artai's new Otomes, the Valkyries, Otomes that use a black gem similar to the ones the Schwarz cult members use to summon their SLAVES. According to Miyu, they are known as the Obsidians of the Darkness (呪詛の黒曜石 Juso no Kokuyōseki), the accursed gems of the Valkyries. The robes act similar to the Pillars of Garderobe, but their master is Rena, whom Schwarz was using to produce their own Otomes as the body of an Otome who has given birth is required to produce Gems and nanomachines. The Valkyries carry a Halberd as their primary weapon and can transform into fighters for speed and agility. In this mode, a team of Valkyries can perform a powerful attack known as the Dance of the Valhalla. As the name of their GEMs suggests, they are cursed as they cannot betray their master as Chie, Sergay's second-in-command, found out the hard way when she stopped for a bit.

The term Valkyrie is a reference to My-HiME, where the Searrs Foundation referred to the HiMEs as Valkyries. Also, in both series, Miyu fought against the Valkyries, although her "moral orientation" became the opposite, with her being with the "evil" Searrs in HiME and working alongside the "good" forces of Garderobe in Otome.

Name origins: A tomoe is an abstract comma-like shape of Japanese origin. The earring that holds Tomoe's Valkyrie GEM onto her ear is shaped like a tomoe. Her hairstyle also seems to replicate the tomoe shape using her head.
Marguerite comes from the French word for pearl and is also the name of a type of daisy.
Miyotakano
Miyotakano
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

Back to top Go down

Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome] Empty Re: Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome]

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Edit: Tomoe Marguerite character analysis thread moved to Mai-Otome/Zwei/Sifr forum.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome] Empty Re: Tomoe Marguerite character analysis [Mai-Otome]

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

Outside I always hated her for trying to murder Arinko. sigh. In my heart I wanted Tomoe-san to apologize for her actions. She is so funny in Zwei that made me smile.
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by Miyotakano Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:Outside I always hated her for trying to murder Arinko. sigh. In my heart I wanted Tomoe-san to apologize for her actions. She is so funny in Zwei that made me smile.

I understand that completely.
Miyotakano
Miyotakano
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:Outside I always hated her for trying to murder Arinko. sigh. In my heart I wanted Tomoe-san to apologize for her actions. She is so funny in Zwei that made me smile.

Hmm, would of been repetitive to recapture that epic moment from Mai-HiME's 25th episode. To show a human side of Tomoe, then follow up with her apology. It would be more difficult to forgive Tomoe than Shizuru Fujino, although there's no proof Tomoe actually killed people (Unless my memory is fuzzy). She's just a traitor with a tremendous ego. ^^;
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by TomoeMarguerite Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:

Hmm, would of been repetitive to recapture that epic moment from Mai-HiME's 25th episode. To show a human side of Tomoe, then follow up with her apology. It would be more difficult to forgive Tomoe than Shizuru Fujino, although there's no proof Tomoe actually killed people (Unless my memory is fuzzy). She's just a traitor with a tremendous ego. ^^;

She is just a traitor but she's still cool
TomoeMarguerite
TomoeMarguerite
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 52
Armitage GUTS!!! : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Infantilism aside. I find her oddly atrractive......I am just into those crazy chicks.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

GAP wrote:I am just into those crazy chicks.

Don't blame you. I think that's the side of Tomoe people don't appreciate too well. It reeks of sex appeal, imagine how wild she is in bed. :3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Miya1 Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

She's ok but a evil manipulative lunatic.
Who needs someone to help her...

Miya1
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 36
Armitage GUTS!!! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSoccerNinja Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I haven't seen My-Otome in years, and I definitely don't remember much from it, so what I'm going by is Miyotakano's very detailed and well-done analysis.

Based on the description of the events Tomoe participated in My-Otome (such as using underhanded methods to try to gain status (the top coral spot from Nina) and to kill Arika), I do not think that Tomoe can be closely compared to Shizuru Fujino. My reason for saying this is:

Shizuru Fujino never used underhanded methods to hurt people (although she did kill people). There is an honesty about Shizuru's destructive and even homicidal actions, which Tomoe and her actions did not have. Tomoe seems to be very manipulative (it seems to me that she is even more manipulative than Nao Yuuki), while Shizuru Fujino is (as Natsuki Kuga described her in the My-Hime episode 22 omake) "...very relaxed about things, but also, very sharp." Shizuru Fujino is seen in the show as either masked and nice, or as completely unmasked and volatile. (There is also an intermediate which I would hope to see after the end of My-Hime, in which Shizuru opens up to Natsuki and the rest of the Hime cast- a nice person who also makes her opinions clear). Shizuru Fujino is also just a person who kept to herself (defending Natsuki secretly, and rescuing Natsuki after she was attacked), and didn't want her business being known. She did not attack anybody until she was provoked in some way or form (for example, District 1 "provoked" her by being an enemy of Natsuki).

Why would Shizuru go out of her way to hurt others, though? People always give her what she wants; she doesn't have to be manipulative. She just has to be her charming self. Here's a Tomoe analysis of my own now: Tomoe doesn't have the luxury of "perfection" (an aptitude for both being an otome and for getting people to like her) though, so this may be why she (Tomoe) has to turn to methods such as manipulation to get what she wants.

Shizuru wouldn't be Shizuru if she wasn't a highly gifted individual. It's part of her character. Although, when Shizuru Fujino does hit an unexpected road block in her usually easy life (Natsuki Kuga, who is not jumping at the chance to be with her, like every other student at the school would), she handles it much more tactfully than Tomoe handled her adversities.

Even when faced with prolonged periods of adversity (Natsuki Kruger keeping her at arms length (emotionally/romantically) for years), Shizuru Viola becomes a flirt, but doesn't hurt anybody with her flirtation, she merely entertains herself. That is, until she sleeps with Tomoe. From what I've read recently about this situation, as well as from what I remember about the situation, Shizuru knew that she'd hurt Tomoe by sleeping with her. I'd like to think that this action came with moral repricussions for Shizuru's active conscious though. (I see this as different from when Tomoe hurt people and seemingly not feel bad about it or realize what she was doing was wrong.)

This (Shizuru handling her adversities without using underhanded manipulation, or by not realizing that manipulation/deception is wrong) may be attributed to her maturity and inteligence, though. Shizuru also wouldn't be Shizuru if she weren't intelligent and mature. It seems to me like Tomoe lacks the maturity and some of the intelligence Shizuru has.

A clear similarity between Shizuru Fujino/Viola and Tomoe Marguerite though, is the fact that they both wear masks. It seems to me that Tomoe's is transparent (as evidenced by Shizuru and Chie seeing through Tomoe's act) and concealing manipulative intentions though, while Shizuru's is air-tight (you don't know something about her unless she lets you know it), and concealing insecurities.

This being said, I agree with Miyotakano that Tomoe is more aggressive than Shizuru (but not that she is a more aggressive version of Shizuru), and also with Luu's idea that Tomoe has an ego. I also think that Shizuru has an ego, but her ego is different from Tomoe's in that Shizuru's intelligence allows her to keep it in check.

My idea is that, with maturity (which will come with time), and good fortune/success in her life as well as a good lover (Such as Juliet Nao Zhang, perhaps?) to show her that good things (like love) can come to her without her having to manipulate anybody, Tomoe will be a much happier person. =]

MissSoccerNinja
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 469
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:03 am

Tomoe needs to grow up and realize that she cannot always get what she wants. There is hope for Tomoe, she isn't dead after all.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:51 pm

yes! its sex appeal all the way! Im confused as to why that girl who would even help her do all those things in the first place, tomoe was manipulative but she must have given this chick some love action or something to make Miya Clochette do all these things, i think thats why i dont hate tomoe completely.
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 140
Armitage GUTS!!! : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:54 pm

ATHENAx514 wrote:yes! its sex appeal all the way! Im confused as to why that girl who would even help her do all those things in the first place, tomoe was manipulative but she must have given this chick some love action or something to make Miya Clochette do all these things, i think thats why i dont hate tomoe completely.

You are definitely onto something here, Athena. o_o Tomoe must of done a lot of sexual favors for Miya, why else would she go so far as to ruin Arika's life for Tomoe's sake? And don't say intimidation! ;p Miya was satisfied in the greatest way possible. Dirty, but honest.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am

i didnt particularly like miya so i find it amusing she was a sucker, Miya was just there to change tomoes diapers and put her in the crib Wink tomoe should have just molested someone in their sleep like shizuru did xD
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:04 am

ATHENAx514 wrote:i didnt particularly like miya so i find it amusing she was a sucker, Miya was just there to change tomoes diapers and put her in the crib Wink tomoe should have just molested someone in their sleep like shizuru did xD

xD Shizuru played Tomoe like a harp from Hell. Consider that a bit of karma on her part. If only Miya knew about Tomoe's harsh rejection, she would snicker under her breath. >:'3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 am

I'VE FIGURED IT OUT!!

I've figured out Tomoe! She's a sociopath! And I don't mean that in a, "She's fuhkin' crazy!" kinda way. I mean... look at all the signs! I'm studying sociopathic behavior for an book of mine and Tomoe almost fits the descriptions to a T! (And by default, I have to like her character a tiny bit now because I have a soft spot for sociopathic or psychotic character. -harumphs- =3=) It's not that she doesn't feel remorse for her actions, it's just that she can't!
They're willing to manipulate everyone and everything to get their way and will go to the extreme, often performing irrational and/or spontanious actions to get what they want. They can easily lie through their teeth and honestly believe that their actions are justified to get their wanted result. When I analyze Tomoe in this light, it all makes sense. *_*

Last edited by SpiralDasher on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:38 am

I would agree, she fits the bill! you said almost fits to T why almost fits? is she missing something ?
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:03 pm

The sociopath theory? Let's see if this goes over with...

Nagisa : Wolvy-oneesama~

*dials long distance to England, where Tomoe's #1 fan resides...*
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Eternal Wolvetta Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

But I've already spoken about this before...? o.O

Tomoe has the type of disorder which can easily be fit into a few different things, one perhaps being the borderline personality disorder. The mere manipulation of Viola wasn't the only thing to make her do everything she did in the anime, since after all, she has some type of mental condition, this is something which I've been constantly trying to tell people for ages, its a 50/50 over Tomoe actually meaning it whilst at the same time not.

I've always believed that deep down Natsuki knew of this problem which Tomoe had, that surely there were records of her having some type of problem but (perhaps through sheer talent) allowed her to enroll into Garderobe Academy.

Now, I won't go into this much, because I'm honestly annoyed that it is getting attention from someone else even though I've been trying to scream this out myself for months.

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 708

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSoccerNinja Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 pm

It would make sense for Tomoe to have some sort of mental disorder. SpiralDasher and TwistedEternalWolvetta have really good points.

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta wrote:Now, I won't go into this much, because I'm honestly annoyed that it is getting attention from someone else even though I've been trying to scream this out myself for months.

Where can I find your posts describing this issue? I'm definitely interested in your theories. =]

MissSoccerNinja
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Eternal Wolvetta Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:08 pm

MissSoccerNinja wrote:It would make sense for Tomoe to have some sort of mental disorder. SpiralDasher and TwistedEternalWolvetta have really good points.

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta wrote:Now, I won't go into this much, because I'm honestly annoyed that it is getting attention from someone else even though I've been trying to scream this out myself for months.

Where can I find your posts describing this issue? I'm definitely interested in your theories. =]

Basically...

https://ltahime.forumotion.com/t300p120-be-honest-do-you-like-tomoe-marguerite

Warning: This is when I was incredibly angry however, so my true feelings to ShizNatsu are revealed here in case you are an utter lover of them.

Spoiler:

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 708

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:50 pm

i am also interested :)
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheshire Kat Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

MissSoccerNinja wrote:It would make sense for Tomoe to have some sort of mental disorder. SpiralDasher and TwistedEternalWolvetta have really good points.

To answer your question, her posts can be found in the thread: Be Honest. Do You Like Tomoe Marguerite?

:3
Cheshire Kat
Cheshire Kat
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 819
Armitage GUTS!!! : 219

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:45 am

No worries, mate! Something just clicked in my head when I had one tab open on MM and another tab open on key sociopathic behavior (I was multitasking, studying for a character in my mystery novel). I looked at the analyzing thread and didn't see anything about it here, so I posted. Not really into Tomoe's character so I never usually care to check her boards. No need to get angry; I'm sure you thought about it more than I have. ^^
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSoccerNinja Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 am

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta wrote:

Basically...

https://ltahime.forumotion.com/t300p120-be-honest-do-you-like-tomoe-marguerite

Warning: This is when I was incredibly angry however, so my true feelings to ShizNatsu are revealed here in case you are an utter lover of them.

Spoiler:

A very thorough and great analysis! =] While I don't agree with every point (mainly the parts involving Shizuru Fujino), it is definite that your Tomoe analysis and theories are very logical, valid, and should be given the credit they deserve. Thank you for sharing that amazing analysis! =]

MissSoccerNinja
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next