Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis

+4
WolvenBane08
Ice Silver Crystal
Luu Sky Sapphire
Miyotakano
8 posters

Go down

Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis  Empty Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis

Post by Miyotakano Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:11 pm

Shizuru Fujino (ふじの しずる; 藤乃静留, Fujino Shizuru?) is a fictional character in the Japanese animated series My-HiME and My-Otome. In My-Otome, her name has been changed to Shizuru Viola. In spite of the fact that her role in both series was that of a secondary character, she still has a wide range of admirers among the show's fans. In fact, she has even won a character popularity poll at SUNRISE Studio's official website twice in a row,[1] besting even the actual leads.

Shizuru is voiced by Naomi Shindou and Melanie Risdon in both series

Shizuru in My-HiMEThe always-calm president of the Fuka Academy Student Council, Shizuru at first appears in episodes involving important school events, or in scenes featuring the Student Council's homeroom, often calmly sipping tea. Making an entrance as a playful, charming and slightly sarcastic individual, she takes care of significant school affairs single-handedly, even patching up for the academy director when required.

She wears a differently colored uniform to denote her status as Student Council President, something fellow Student Council leaders Reito Kanzaki and Haruka Suzushiro also do. Her beauty and distinctive Kyoto-accent have earned her quite a few fans within the academy - and all mostly female. She occasionally lends Natsuki Kuga use of the Student Council's computer in order to look up information relating to the HiME.

In the novel entitled, "Natsuki's Prelude", some background was provided on the reasons influencing Shizuru's decision to run for the Student Council President position. She was originally just a class representative in her second year of highschool. Natsuki, a middle-schooler at the time, had heard a rumor that class representatives had a higher access level within the school's intranet than normal students. Shizuru teased Natsuki and assumed she was inquiring for the sake of altering her attendance record. Natsuki informed her that she wanted to gain access to the school's state of its administration, the director's name and personal record, and a register of the staff members and pupils plus their personal records. Shizuru regretted to inform Natsuki that her access to the intranet was not much higher than that of a typical student. Witnessing Natsuki looking somewhat disappointed, Shizuru mentally came to a decision and entered herself as a presidential candidate.

The novel continues with the fact that elections were held rather late in the year compared to most schools but Shizuru managed to crush her opponent, Suzushiro Haruka, in a landslide victory. She had become the new President, which enabled her high-level access on the school's intranet. Natsuki of course utilized this to her advantage, but never found out Shizuru's true motivation for running.

In the second half of the series, Shizuru's role becomes more significant, as it is revealed that she's one of the twelve HiMEs. Unlike the other HiMEs, she acts solo, without facing either the Orphans nor the agents of the Searrs Foundation. Instead she focuses on covertly protecting her best friend, Natsuki Kuga, who is also a HiME. It is implied that Shizuru's "HiME mark" is located on her left side, as she is seen placing her hand there on several occasions relating to the HiME, including the interrogation of Yukariko Sanada, before actually being revealed as one. Shizuru's shadow with her element is first seen in episode 20 when she intervenes and has her child, Kiyohime, block Mikoto's attack towards Natsuki.

Over time it becomes apparent that Shizuru has a romantic interest in Natsuki, and the suppression of these feelings begin to unbalance her psychologically. After Natsuki is injured by Nao Yuuki and held for ransom Shizuru rescues her and brings her to a friend's house to allow her to heal.

As the series progresses Shizuru loses her mental balance and becomes yet another puppet playing to the plan of the Obsidian Lord, killing the Childs and, by extension, the most important people of Nao (her mother) and Yukino (Haruka) as well as the entirety of the First District, for the sake of her beloved.

In a final confrontation Shizuru fights Natsuki, who having accepted her love for Shizuru nao has a new most important person and has hence regained her powers, along with Duran increasing drastically in size. Shizuru misunderstands Natsuki's explanation for Duran's increased size, and believes the "omoi" (literally emotion) Natsuki feels for her is hate. An emotional Shizuru believes that Natsuki has rejected her feelings and entraps her under a bell before drawing her into an embrace. However, Shizuru is taken aback when Natsuki kisses her. She tells Shizuru that she loves her despite not sharing the same feeling Shizuru has for her. Natsuki then orders Duran to destroy Kiyohime, which results in an explosive backlash that destroys them both. After their resurrection by Mashiro the two seem to have maintained their close friendship.

[edit] My-HiME mangaIn the manga Shizuru is not a HiME, and her role is largely reduced. She still provides information to Natsuki, but their relationship is left largely unexplored, Natsuki having feelings towards Yuuichi rather than Shizuru.

[edit] Element and ChildHer Element is a resemblance of a Voulge with a straighter blade than the traditional weapon and more of a gap between the shaft and blade.]. It serves as a close range weapon, but she can take opponents by surprise with its long range capabilities, as the blade can extend into a chain-like extension, capable of tying someone up or crushing solid metal within its coils. She can attack long range by using the chain to slice through incoming attacks or to slash an opponent with her extended reach. She has once even used her extending blade to cut through the entire side of a cliff, causing part of it to collapse and crumble. Shizuru's use of the weapon combined with her noble and calm demeanor is likely a reference to Sengoku Period noble women, who were expected to know the art of the weapon in order to defend their families. The naginata was also frequently used as a status symbol.

Shizuru's Child is Kiyohime, a cross between a Squid and a Hydra. Its name is most likely a reference to the Japanese legend of the same name. The trapping of Natsuki under the church's bell during their fight is a direct allusion to this myth. Kiyohime's multiple snake heads allow it to attack quickly and repeatedly, and each of its heads can spray an acidic silver poison. Kiyohime is one of the larger Childs in the anime, comparibly similar in size to Mai's Kagusutchi and Mikoto's Child Miroku, and arguably, one of the strongest.

[edit] Shizuru in My-OtomeIn the alternate-universe version and the sequel of the original series, Shizuru nao appears as a Meister Otome and the Deputy Headmistress of Garderobe. She is one of the Five Columns (#3 in the order): the strongest Otome in the world who serve not an individual master but Garderobe itself. She materializes in the first episode to fend off a SLAVE and inspires Arika Yumemiya to become an Otome herself.

Shizuru is often idolized and referred by other students as Oneesama because of her elegant fighting style, charisma, beauty, kindness, and sincerity. Shizuru often acts as the surrogate mother/sister to Arika Yumemiya and Nina Wáng, and gives them her support and comfort whenever necessary.

In the first episode of the OVA My-Otome Zwei, Shizuru is petrified by an unknown entity while investigating a mysterious crater. In the second episode it is implied that the victims are still alive despite their nanomachines being solidified, and in the third episode her body along with the other petrified victims are at Garderobe for analysis by Yohko. She and the other victims are eventually cured in the conclusion to the fourth episode.

[edit] GEMHer GEM, from which the power of an Otome derives, is named the Bewitching Smile Amethyst (嬌嫣の紫水晶 Kyouen no Murasakizuishou). Her Robe resembles both her Child from My-HiME as well as the traditional kimono she wore often in that series.

Her Element of choice is a double-edged sword with curved blades that extend into whip-like chains. She utilizes her natural grace and agility in her fighting prowess, making her an elegant yet deadly warrior.

[edit] My-Otome MangaIn the My-Otome manga Shizuru Viola is still the first Meister Otome introduced, though her first materialization comes in chapter 12, not as early as in the anime. She duels against Rad in the same chapter and Midori in chapter 18 but fails to win decisively. This Shizuru is Arika's oneesama from the beginning unlike in the anime, where it was initially Akane and then Nao. She was also an early target of Mashiro's infatuation.

Since Shizuru Fujino was not a HiME in the My-HiME manga she is not present among the resurrected HiME from the manga (made evident by the presence of Haruka), but Viola nevertheless does do battle against them though she still wished she had one

Her name means Sizzle or Quietly graceful and her birthday is 12/19

Tell me what do you think of shizuru?
Miyotakano
Miyotakano
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

Back to top Go down

Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis  Empty Re: Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:24 am

There's a lot I can say about Shizuru in all her different incarnations throughout the Mai-Series. Thanks to being such a hot topic within our fandom, I've expressed more than enough. What makes Shizuru universally special is the fact that her beauty and charm are unique. Whether you see her as a crazy Natsuki obsessed killing machine or a Garderobe pimp, Shizuru brings a certain flavor to the Mai-Series. Bringing out a side of Natsuki we rarely see, also raises her stock ten fold.

To this day, I still prefer Shizuru Fujino from the Mai-HiME anime over the rest. She was a misunderstood soul under the influence of a powerful being. Fueling her deepest desires, she snapped to the extreme. All for love. It's twisted and rarely anyone will see eye-to-eye with it, but that's romance for you. Never makes sense, just let it happen.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis  Empty Re: Shizuru Fujino/Viola character analysis

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

I don't like Fujino-san, she hurt Natsuki by lying to her and killing. My allegiance is to Shizuru Viola who nurtures a balanced relationship with the Gakuenchou. ^^
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by Miyotakano Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Ice Silver Crystal wrote:I don't like Fujino-san, she hurt Natsuki by lying to her and killing. My allegiance is to Shizuru Viola who nurtures a balanced relationship with the Gakuenchou. ^^

You really like Natsuki don't you, But yes I hate Fujino for doing that to
Miyotakano
Miyotakano
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by WolvenBane08 Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:There's a lot I can say about Shizuru in all her different incarnations throughout the Mai-Series. Thanks to being such a hot topic within our fandom, I've expressed more than enough. What makes Shizuru universally special is the fact that her beauty and charm are unique. Whether you see her as a crazy Natsuki obsessed killing machine or a Garderobe pimp, Shizuru brings a certain flavor to the Mai-Series. Bringing out a side of Natsuki we rarely see, also raises her stock ten fold.

To this day, I still prefer Shizuru Fujino from the Mai-HiME anime over the rest. She was a misunderstood soul under the influence of a powerful being. Fueling her deepest desires, she snapped to the extreme. All for love. It's twisted and rarely anyone will see eye-to-eye with it, but that's romance for you. Never makes sense, just let it happen.
What he said.
WolvenBane08
WolvenBane08
Shizuru Fujino-Mama a.k.a. The Viola-tor
Shizuru Fujino-Mama a.k.a. The Viola-tor

Bubuzuke points : 950
Armitage GUTS!!! : 285

http://wolvenbane08.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlantisLux Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Although I think that Shizuru Hime is a more complex and interesting character than Shizuru Otome, my preference is for the latter. ^^
Less crazy and funnier, and her relationship with Natsuki is more mature and balanced.

That said, great analysis!
AtlantisLux
AtlantisLux
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 155
Armitage GUTS!!! : 63

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

AtlantisLux wrote:Although I think that Shizuru Hime is a more complex and interesting character than Shizuru Otome, my preference is for the latter. ^^
Less crazy and funnier, and her relationship with Natsuki is more mature and balanced.

SUNRISE did what everybody wanted for Shizuru and Natsuki for Mai-Otome, shipped them together! With the exception of Natsuki, Yukariko, Akira and maybe Fumi, all the HiME incarnations in Mai-Otome were drastically improved. The only problem is none of these HiME have a big role anymore. Mai Tokiha is a huge example, showing up late in the series.

Back to Shizuru, I do feel at easy with her balanced relationship. Still, I believe things between Shizuru Fujino and Natsuki Kuga have become the same, it just going to take a lot of time. (Post Episode 26 and Natsuki no Prelude's finale)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:47 pm

Shizuru always seems kind of kfake in my eyes, mI didn't think of it at first but after rewatching the series she seems sort of fake to me. Shizuru is a good character even if we don't see her a lot but often times I wodner if she a parody or darker take on those kinds of girls in anime. I heard she wasn't very popular after she went psycho but was redeemed through ShizNat.
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 pm

GAP wrote:I heard she wasn't very popular after she went psycho but was redeemed through ShizNat.

Through ShizNat and the direction fanfiction authors and doujinshi took them.

By herself, Shizuru isn't a huge draw. By comparison, Natsuki was always praised alone and with Shizuru by fans. There's just more depth to her.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by sabbygirl Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:47 pm

-.- Screw you Shizuru haters. Really Screw. You.
Watch the anime again, Watch all the specials and all the deleted clips and watch the ending of mai otome the extenden ending. There! is the fucking prove that they are in a love relationship.
You can say all you want about Shizuru but Fake,Cruel and Boring are not accepted! She did all she could to save/ help natsuki and now you guys are saying she is fake! She told her true feelings and did not harm her. You saw the shadows in the house where natsuki was asleep and stuff and you thought she raped natsuki? Cmon she will wake up then doh! she never harmed her or raped her. maybe masturbated next to her but thats no illegal xD

sabbygirl
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 4
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lerena Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:55 pm

I do like Shizuru, but I've seen better characters than her. There's not much I can say on this subject except that I do relate to Shizuru as a human being. Yes, she did some horrible things; can you honestly say you haven't yourself? Unless you live under a rock (and I do in a sense), I don't believe it's possible to be fully shielded from at least a minor crime. To put it simply, none of us are immune to the effects of being human. What does that mean, you ask? Well, it means that under the same circumstances as Shizuru you may do something realistically drastic and wind up in a mental institution.

In the event you are more mature than Shizuru when dealing with your emotions, there are some who simply have no outlet. She did what she could based on the life she has lived. I have faith that Shizuru develops as a better character later on down the road. Having got the message across to Natsuki, it isn't being suppressed anymore, and therefore she is free to continue her life without that huge burden on her shoulders.

Now, where I relate is simple. I'm not the most mature person when it comes to emotion. In all honesty, I react in a similar way as her, especially when backed up in a corner. I obviously don't go around killing people, albeit I do say some pretty horrible stuff. People like Shizuru have difficulty when they're in a position where their feelings must be suppressed. While she may have done some horrible things, think about what you've done in the name of love and tell me there isn't an equally nasty equivalent. If there isn't, either you're lying or you're a far better person than me. =P

Overall, I respect Shizuru for the pure fact that she strikes me as interesting. For some, that may not be the case, but I think her actions are too often criticized without careful analysis on why she may have done the things she did. Mostly anime and manga series means that things will be taken to an unrealistic degree of drama. It's not the actions she did that should make her be hated. Natsuki forgave her, so she should be forgiven by others as well. In the instance that Natsuki didn't forgive her, well, I'm not sure how different my feelings on this matter would be. All I'm saying is she's hated, but not given proper understanding. We can't really understand her without knowing her childhood though.
Lerena
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3771
Armitage GUTS!!! : 558
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down