Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome

+23
Bluholic711
Veronica-Searrs
ookamidesu
Valkyria Lightning
SoulEaterHaruhis0s
bubbleduckie
sarcastic-dog
MidnightPersona
SulliMike23
Sergay Tate
WolvenBane08
The Fire Stirring Ruby
Abicion
Highman
Ice Silver Crystal
Konaxookami
emochick
GaleLupin-Otome
Midori Sugiura99
Kara
SpiderNeKoHiME
Kino karutta-chan
Luu Sky Sapphire
27 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

english - Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome Empty Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun May 09, 2010 12:48 pm

You know, aside from script changes, I wasn't too offended by the Mai HiME dub. I don't know about Mai (Carol-Anne Day) and Midori (Mariette Sluyter), but characters like Mikoto (Caitlynne Medrek) and Sister Yukariko (Allyson June Smith) sounded perfect to me.

I have mixed feelings about two characters and I think we know who they are.  :tongue:

Cheryl McMaster's Natsuki sounded kinda butch. The kind of butch that enjoys the Lifetime channel (MEN ARE ALL EEEEEVIL!!!) although she fixed that slightly in Mai Otome.

Melanie Risdon as Shizuru is also a mixed bag. I love how she captured the essence of Shizuru by really putting emotion into those ShizNat moments. Everything else was kinda off though. See for yourself in the classic scene where Shizuru encounters Nao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqXAz29_9_I

I've briefly talked about the southern belle voice they gave her on my website's FAQ section:

http://shiznat.webs.com/faq.htm

LoneWolf shared more insight with me by saying and I quote:

"Everything is slower and laid back in the Kansai region compared to Metro Tokyo and this is why US Producer Taku Otsuka, had suggested a southern accent.

It's the best representation for Kyoto-natives. Now, I noticed fans were hoping or expecting something along the lines of something more "British" but seriously...this would only further deviate from what Kyoto really is. Another misconception is that the Kyoto dialect is "proper." This is indeed incorrect as Kyoto-ben is found to be a much more soft-spoken dialect and respectable but it's not considered proper "keigo.
"

Thoughts?

Edit:

List of voice actors and actresses from Bandai Entertainment's dub. Credit goes to Anime News Network:

Caitlynne Medrek as Mikoto Minagi
Carol-Anne Day as Mai Tokiha
Cheryl McMaster as Natsuki Kuga

Allyson June Smith as Yukariko Sanada
Annika Odegard as Akira Okuzaki
Cole Howard as Takumi Tokiha
Ethan Cole as Reito Kanzaki
Graham Ko as Nagi Homura
Hazel Forman as Chie Harada
Jayna Mitchell as Aoi Senou
Jordan Schartner as Yuichi Tate
Katie Rowan as Mashiro Kazahana
Leda Davies as Shiho Munakata
Lori Barnes-Smith as Haruka Suzuhiro
Maizun Jayoussi as Miyu Greer
Marcy Lannan as Nao Yuuki
Mariette Sluyter as Midori Sugiura
Melanie Risdon as Shizuru Fujino
Morgan Partridge as
Akane Higurashi
Yukino Kikukawa
Wendy Morrison as
Alyssa Searrs
Fumi Himeno

Abby Charchun as
Kiyone
Sayuri Ichinose
Brett Bauer as Kazuya Kurauchi
Ethan Cole as Obsidian Prince
Glenn Howard as Mochizuki
Jeffrey Watson as Tatsuhiko Zaizen
Jonathan Love as Mr. Smith
Kelsey Schimpf as Miya Suzuki
Mariette Sluyter as Mrs. Tokiha (ep 3)
Melanie Risdon as Yoko Sagisawa
Michelle Warkentin as Elder 1
Noel Johanssen as Wataru Ishigami
Paul Cowling as Joseph Greer
Randall Wiebe as
Jin Munekata
Kaiji Sakomizu
Roger Rhodes as Rescuer (ep 1)
Scott Roberts as Masashi Takeda
Steve Olson as Mr. Sawada (ep 4)
Victor Atelevich as
Kuga's Aide (ep 2)
Ship Officer (ep 1)
Yamada

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:21 pm; edited 6 times in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

english - Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome Empty Re: Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome

Post by Kino karutta-chan Sun May 09, 2010 3:53 pm

I know a worse dub than the English one: the German dub -_- I think the English dub is awful, but the German one is just more AWFUL O_O Don't ask how this is possible ;_; Okay, Nao was okay through good and Mai was okay, but all the others?? Man, I couldn't bear it for more than 3 or 4 episodes and that was bad enough -_-
The worst was Midori's TT__TT No emotion in the voice, just like by the random characters (or maybe worse).
And their wasn't any change in Natsuk's and Shizuru's voices in the last episodes, hello?? -_- And I couldn't stand Natsuki's voice long.

I kind of liked the French one (or was it Spanish??) in this one Shizuru and Natsuki scene in epi 19: Best Japanese, second French (or Spanish), third English and last German. Komugiraffe shitty Beez (the ones who did the dubs).

Goddess, if I think about it...... Please kill me TTT___TTT
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

english - Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome Empty Re: Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Mon May 10, 2010 7:50 am

-ponders- i like Nao's voice actress. what's up with Shiz's voice! :D "NOT-ski" rotfl!
I kinda sorta agree...british accent would sound worse for Shizuru...
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon May 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Never heard the German dub, but I'll take your word on it. ^_^ In the English dub, there was no emotion in Midori's voice (during dramatic moments). It seemed forced during her comedy skits, like in Cake Wars and the HiME karaoke.

I agree that the Spanish dub is excellent, I got to listen to it a few years back. Nothing beats the Japanese original of course, but I like variety. XD Even if it's painful to listen to. lol

LMAO! NOTSKI! That's exactly how she says it! I still enjoy Melanie's performance as Shizuru, but only to a degree. Depends on the scene. ^^;;;
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

after seeing mai otome's dub, i have to say its much better than hime's dubbing! o_o you were right
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm always right. ;P You and Kino-chan should know this by now.

I still want them to dub Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~ and release it in the States. T_T
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:11 am

I really didn't care for the dub until I made my younger sister watch it and she only agreed to watch it in english. So, of course, being the amazing older sister i am, I decided to watch it with her and explain things to her. And I had so many complaints in the beggining. Many of them were:

-Natsuki sounded like a man. Especially when she called for Duran haha. That's why when Kenz (my younger sis) does her Natsuki impression, she uses a very deep voice and goes, "I'm so girly."

-Mai's voice made me want to gouge my eyes out with a sharpened pencil because it was so annoying and reminded me of Kagome's english voice actor (from Inuyasha)

-Shizuru sounds like she should be out back milking the cows.

-Reito' voice was just...no. I had to laugh the first time I heard it. Idk why, it just didn't seem to fit to me.

- Nao sounded a bit older than she should have, but they were going in the right direction.

- Shiho's voice just....ugh. I hated it. I wanted to staba child.

Haha, but it grew on me and now I kinda like it. Especially Shizuru's voice, but I think it would've been more epic if she had a southern ghetto black voice. I would just laugh. So. Frickin. Hard.

But on another note, I saw the german dub too (even tho i don't speak it) and have you heard how they say Shizuru's name?! In that scene where Shizuru was about kill Nao, I couldn't take Natsuki seriously when she called out for Shizuru, it sounds like, "Shizwu!" Like she's speakin baby! I replayed that about 10 times! haha!
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Bubuzuke points : 2072
Armitage GUTS!!! : 597

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Kara wrote:But on another note, I saw the german dub too (even tho i don't speak it) and have you heard how they say Shizuru's name?! In that scene where Shizuru was about kill Nao, I couldn't take Natsuki seriously when she called out for Shizuru, it sounds like, "Shizwu!" Like she's speakin baby! I replayed that about 10 times! haha!
Really?? Didn't notice it (oh well, I didn't see this scene in German). I think they say Natsuki's name a little bit strange, but I can be wrong, too. I can't remember, that's amazing! *__* (no irony here)
Anyway. Except from Mai's German voice they all fail at call "Kagutsuchi" XDDDDD
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:20 pm

[/quote]Really?? Didn't notice it (oh well, I didn't see this scene in German). I think they say Natsuki's name a little bit strange, but I can be wrong, too. I can't remember, that's amazing! *__* (no irony here)
Anyway. Except from Mai's German voice they all fail at call "Kagutsuchi" XDDDDD[/quote]

Haha, I know! It sounds so weird! Germans shouldn't dub things, they sound too weird lol
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Kara wrote:I really didn't care for the dub until I made my younger sister watch it and she only agreed to watch it in english. So, of course, being the amazing older sister i am, I decided to watch it with her and explain things to her. And I had so many complaints in the beggining. Many of them were:

-Natsuki sounded like a man. Especially when she called for Duran haha. That's why when Kenz (my younger sis) does her Natsuki impression, she uses a very deep voice and goes, "I'm so girly."

-Mai's voice made me want to gouge my eyes out with a sharpened pencil because it was so annoying and reminded me of Kagome's english voice actor (from Inuyasha)

-Shizuru sounds like she should be out back milking the cows.

-Reito' voice was just...no. I had to laugh the first time I heard it. Idk why, it just didn't seem to fit to me.

- Nao sounded a bit older than she should have, but they were going in the right direction.

- Shiho's voice just....ugh. I hated it. I wanted to staba child.

Haha, but it grew on me and now I kinda like it. Especially Shizuru's voice, but I think it would've been more epic if she had a southern ghetto black voice. I would just laugh. So. Frickin. Hard.

You know what really pisses me off?

"NOTSUKI"

That's right. Notsuki Kuga. That's how they pronounce her freakin' name and now it's stuck in my brain. xD There are times when I have to correct myself, thanks to the dub. Like you, the dub also grew on me. It certainly isn't the worst dub in existence, but they could of done a lot better. lol Shizuru's voice actress, Melanie Risdon, improved somewhat in Mai-Otome. ^_^

I strongly agree on Mai's voice actress, Carol-Anne Day. Sounds too much like a whiny Regina George, ala Kagome. :lol:
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire
You know what really pisses me off?

"NOTSUKI"

That's right. Notsuki Kuga. That's how they pronounce her freakin' name
and now it's stuck in my brain. xD There are times when I have to correct myself, thanks to the dub. Like you, the dub also grew on me. It certainly isn't the worst dub in existence, but they could of done a lot better. lol Shizuru's voice actress, Melanie Risdon, improved somewhat in Mai-Otome. ^_^

I strongly agree on Mai's voice actress, Carol-Anne Day. Sounds too much like a whiny Regina George, ala Kagome. :lol:

Haha, sadly that's how I've said her name even before I watched the dub lol

I think Shizuru's voice actor said 'Natsuki' but she said it weird and she pronounced the 'a' weird haha
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Kara wrote:Haha, sadly that's how I've said her name even before I watched the dub lol

I think Shizuru's voice actor said 'Natsuki' but she said it weird and she pronounced the 'a' weird haha

Are you cereal? That's okay, I guess I'll have to accept it. :lol:

Yeah, but it still sounds like Notsuki to me. lol Only one of the characters said it correctly, forgot who though. I'll need to rewatch it, but I think it was Mikoto. cat
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 pm

Haha, you can kiss my apples if you think I'm gonna say it any other way Wink
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Kara wrote:Haha, you can kiss my apples if you think I'm gonna say it any other way Wink

Wink What if I have have Miyu kick your bum for a few minutes, you will still say NOTSUKI? ^_^
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes. I will still say Notsuki. Because Miyu doesn't scare me, all I have to do would be throw magnets at her!
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:17 am

Kara wrote:Haha, I know! It sounds so weird! Germans shouldn't dub things, they sound too weird lol
That's not true ;P They can dub things, but they fail most of the time by dubing animes (there are exceptions like NOIR or Elfenlied).

And I like your idea to "fight" Miyu XD Made me laugh.
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:55 am

That's not true ;P They can dub things, but they fail most of the time by dubing animes (there are exceptions like NOIR or Elfenlied).

Haha, I'm sure they have the German dubbers have some good dubs, just...HiME wasn't one of them lol
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Kara wrote:Yes. I will still say Notsuki. Because Miyu doesn't scare me, all I have to do would be throw magnets at her!

xD Yeah! You can start by throwing this at her:

english - Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome 081magnemite
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Kara wrote:Yes. I will still say Notsuki. Because Miyu doesn't scare me, all I have to do would be throw magnets at her!

xD Yeah! You can start by throwing this at her:

english - Bandai Entertainment's English dub for Mai HiME/Otome 081magnemite

Hahahaha! Yes!! Miyu will never be able to beat me when I have...THAT THING on my side!!
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Kara wrote:Hahahaha! Yes!! Miyu will never be able to beat me when I have...THAT THING on my side!!

xD I'll find some way to take you down. Maybe I'll send out the panty-stealing Orphan to raid your collection. :lol:
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:51 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Kara wrote:Hahahaha! Yes!! Miyu will never be able to beat me when I have...THAT THING on my side!!

xD I'll find some way to take you down. Maybe I'll send out the panty-stealing Orphan to raid your collection. :lol:

O_O That is soooo not fair! You can't do that because....um....YOU'RE JUST NOT ALLOWED!
Kara
Kara
Token Straight Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:23 am

that's our prince luu -hehehe- making up the rules as he goes along :3
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 pm

That's right Megan. ^_~ Protect your drawers, ladies. That naughty Orphan could be in your room right now.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:04 am

nuuu! must kill it before it discovers my panties!!!! X333 DIE! ORPHAN! DIE! -SLASHES-
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Wink Don't let him destroy your collection, unlike silly Natsuki who failed at protecting hers. xD
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next