Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion

+5
Asuka Tenjou
Kino karutta-chan
Natsuki
RedEyedWolf
Luu Sky Sapphire
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion Empty Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:55 pm

shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion PDVD_018

I stumbled across an old journal where someone listed some of Shizuru's one-liners:

- Ikezu : The word "Ikezu" is Japanese for "unkind" or "mean." It's something Shizuru said in episode four while she was sleeping, and we like to think she was dreaming of Natsuki.

- Ara ara. (Shizuru's trademark!)

- Natsuki wa mamoritai dakedosu

- kanina (my personal favorite, it sounds so sexy when she says it. Proof? Watch the Japanese portion of this clip:

- Kiyohime.

- matto kureasu

Anymore you guys know of? Also use this thread to discuss Shizuru's unique kyoto accent! :D

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion Empty Re: Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Shizuru's kyoto accent is one of the sexiest things I have ever heard, ever. Which is what made me fall in love with her superficially, then her deep character studies helped me fall in love completely.

Quotes time xD *After Natsuki practically confesses her love to her* "Do you really hate me that much?"

Poor insane Shizuru, she has a hearing problem xD

Back to top Go down

shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion Empty Re: Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion

Post by RedEyedWolf Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:54 pm

haha silly shizuru and her hearing problem

Ikezu!!!!!!!
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 965
Armitage GUTS!!! : 408

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

For members and guests who need proof of her hearing problem, just watch the epic battle between ShizNat from Episode 25 again:

Natsuki Kuga vs. Shizuru Fujino [Full Fight and Resolve. No Filler] ((SPOILER ALERT))

No worries, a hearing aid wouldn't be enough to distract your beauty, Shizuru. So buy one.

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:48 pm

well damn...
look at the bright side, it could be worse than bad hearing
shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion HiME-Stuckhair <-----
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsuki Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Hehe nice topic

Hmm I'm not sure if she used this one a lot but:
Ookini
And she said it once but ... I like it:
"Demo... Anata no suki to uchi no suki to wa chigau dosu"

For Shizuru's defence I'd say that "feelings" is not always something positive lol
Natsuki
Natsuki
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 58
Armitage GUTS!!! : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Off Topic... natsuki, i love your picture
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm

I second RedEyedPuppy's statement, I love it too x3

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Natsuki wrote:"Demo... Anata no suki to uchi no suki to wa chigau dosu"
Should be "desu", or am I wrong?? o.o
Anyway I LOVE this one :3

@ Topic
Can't think about anything else right now :/
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsuki Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:26 am

Hey thanks! I made it myself

@Kino karutta-chan: Nope, that's the point. She has a Kyoto-ben hence the "dosu" instead of "desu" :)
I love this one too!
Natsuki
Natsuki
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Aside from being sexy, I found that Shizuru's accent is tough to decipher for translators. I know my girlfriend (and your moderator, Midori Sugiura99) had an iffy time working with the accent in the Mai-HiME EXA manga.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Asuka Tenjou Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Kannin na is also my favorite, but i think despite their attempts to give Shizuru and accent, they butchered her voice with the country accent... out of all the accents it had to be country that doesn't suit shizuru one bit.

I thought a britishy accent would suit her best, i always found british accents smexy, for example.. lara croft from tomb raider D:
Asuka Tenjou
Asuka Tenjou
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 39
Armitage GUTS!!! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsuki Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:50 pm

I agree!!!! British! Love it.

But I read somewhere that it wouldn't be possible as people from the Kansai region are still living in Japan, whereas British people... well they don't live in the same country. Sad though.
Natsuki
Natsuki
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Asuka Tenjou Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:08 am

I meant the english dub... *takes out gun* anyone who says otherwise gets it!
Asuka Tenjou
Asuka Tenjou
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 39
Armitage GUTS!!! : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Sunako Nakahara wrote:Kannin na is also my favorite, but i think despite their attempts to give Shizuru and accent, they butchered her voice with the country accent... out of all the accents it had to be country that doesn't suit shizuru one bit.

I thought a britishy accent would suit her best, i always found british accents smexy, for example.. lara croft from tomb raider D:

(( Shizuru said Kannin na only once in the anime series, right? With Takeda around (of all people..). The country accent didn't work for me, then it did and now with the comparison with Osaka from Azumanga Daioh (ADVFilms made the same mistake as Bandai) I'm against the country accent again. I'll always find it funny though. XD

British accent might sound funny for Shizuru. I'll be expecting her to say things like "bum", "bullocks", "Hogwarts" and Daleks". Lara's accent is smexy, I'll give ya that... ))
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 am

shizuru - Shizuru Fujino/Viola quotes and kyoto-ben discussion 63644614

Shizuru Fujino's Kannin na from Mai-HiME Episode 17! MP3 format!
Spoiler:

You can request or add more sound bytes from the entire Mai-Series on this thread:

The Mai-HiME/Otome Sound Clips Museum [Requests open]
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:34 am

This is for Raven, after our discussion on the phone about why Shizuru was given her world famous accent in the dub. So I decided to dig this up:

I want to add that the reason Shizuru's southern accent even exists in the domestic adaptation is because we at Bandai (I'm a former Bandai employee) realize that Kyoto is country-ish area.

Everything is slower and laid back in the Kansai region compared to Metro Tokyo and this is why US Producer Taku Otsuka, had suggested a southern accent. It's the best representation for Kyoto natives. Now, I noticed fans were hoping or expecting something along the lines of something more "British" but seriously...this would only further deviate from what Kyoto really is. Another misconception is that the Kyoto dialect is "proper." This is indeed incorrect as Kyoto-ben is found to be a much more soft-spoken dialect and respectable but it's not considered proper "keigo."

411 directly from LW; around the time I opened ShizNat Webs.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sergay Tate Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:30 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:This is for Raven, after our discussion on the phone about why Shizuru was given her world famous accent in the dub. So I decided to dig this up:

I want to add that the reason Shizuru's southern accent even exists in the domestic adaptation is because we at Bandai (I'm a former Bandai employee) realize that Kyoto is country-ish area.

Everything is slower and laid back in the Kansai region compared to Metro Tokyo and this is why US Producer Taku Otsuka, had suggested a southern accent. It's the best representation for Kyoto natives. Now, I noticed fans were hoping or expecting something along the lines of something more "British" but seriously...this would only further deviate from what Kyoto really is. Another misconception is that the Kyoto dialect is "proper." This is indeed incorrect as Kyoto-ben is found to be a much more soft-spoken dialect and respectable but it's not considered proper "keigo."

411 directly from LW; around the time I opened ShizNat Webs.

not meaning to be rude or anything, but i thought this was a reasonably well-known fact? :O i know i knew it anyways lol Shiho Huit
Sergay Tate
Sergay Tate
Cat Goddess
Cat Goddess

Bubuzuke points : 5920
Armitage GUTS!!! : 724

Back to top Go down

Post by Krystal of Nol Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Well I didn't know that... so thanks for that :D
Krystal of Nol
Krystal of Nol
ShizNat Queen: cuz is never enough ShizNat!
ShizNat Queen: cuz is never enough ShizNat!

Bubuzuke points : 1967
Armitage GUTS!!! : 737

http://krystal-of-nol.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:27 am

Krystal of Nol wrote:Well I didn't know that... so thanks for that :D

ShizNat Anytime, Krystal.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by BubuzukeOnna Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:58 pm

One of my favorites is the use of a Kyoto expression in one of the extras for Mai Otome.- The one in which Natsuki is upset with Shizuru when she's treated as a fangirl and rejects becoming her "room attendant."

Haruka is verbally lashing Shizuru as usual asking her to recognize her feelings towards the coral. When Shizuru asks her if she would like some bubuzuke. Which is a polite way of saying to go away. This of course goes completely over Haruka's head, she eats it all and then asks for seconds. After which, Shizuru laments that she wishes she could be as oblivious as Haruka.

As to the southern accent, I completely understand. I understand why it was done (Gone with the Wind style old money, the accent was more Georgian debutante than Texan) and I understand why everyone hates it so much.

Taku's a really nice guy, I worked with him and Lone Wolf at Bandai for a while. Really, I think we generally worked with only two dubbing studios so the choices were somewhat limited. All the same, there are days I hear the dub and want to go back to California and knock him on the head.
BubuzukeOnna
BubuzukeOnna
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 88
Armitage GUTS!!! : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:46 am

BubuzukeOnna wrote:As to the southern accent, I completely understand. I understand why it was done (Gone with the Wind style old money, the accent was more Georgian debutante than Texan) and I understand why everyone hates it so much.

Taku's a really nice guy, I worked with him and Lone Wolf at Bandai for a while. Really, I think we generally worked with only two dubbing studios so the choices were somewhat limited. All the same, there are days I hear the dub and want to go back to California and knock him on the head.

Truth be told, I enjoyed the dub for what it is. I think this little haven of ours is probably the only place you'll read praise for the English track and all it's hilarity. It has a lot to do with how the performances of the English V/As were exaggerated extensions of character personalities featured in the Mai-Series. Same logic can be found professional wrestling. Natsuki Kuga was one tough S.O.B. in the Japanese original, so Cheryl took a step further with a more 'butch' gimmick.

When I look at it that way, the dub isn't so bad. Doesn't make it good, but it has become part of our fandom's history. That much is worth celebrating to me.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Thread resurrection! My hearing is shit when it comes to Japanese XD So I gotta do these in English.

In HiME, I especially like the way she speaks during the entire scene when Natsuki found out what scholarship Mai came with in order to get to Fuuka.

In Otome, basically when Shizuru says "Iya dosu". It sounds so cute and so sexy at the same time XD Especially when she found out Akira is a girl. Also this clip as well in addition to my favorite Shizuru quotes

Kuga Natsuki
Kuga Natsuki
Space Samurai Marshall Banana

Bubuzuke points : 9709
Armitage GUTS!!! : 593

http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Can anyone point out every moment where Shizuru used 'Mou...'? XD I wanna do a count! Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuga Natsuki Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm

You can do it XD Also Luu, you said that Shizuru only said "Kannin na" only once in Mai-HiME? As far as I remember, she says it three times or so o.o
Kuga Natsuki
Kuga Natsuki

Bubuzuke points : 9709
Armitage GUTS!!! : 593

http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next