Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene

+5
Luu Sky Sapphire
Kino karutta-chan
RedEyedWolf
Midori Sugiura99
Konaxookami
9 posters

Go down

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene Empty Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene

Post by Konaxookami Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Read an interesting article on Wiki the other day and realized something about the myth of Kiyohime-the mythological beast Shizuru's child was based on. Take a gander.

According to Japanese folklore,[1]Kiyohime (清姫?) (or just Kiyo) was the daughter (or in some versions, the widow) of a village headman or landlord named Shōji, on the Hidaka riverbank. The family was wealthy enough to entertain and provide lodging for traveling priests, who often passed by on their way to a shrine famous for ascetic practices.

One day, a handsome visiting priest named Anjin fell in love with a beautiful woman named Kiyohime, but after a time he overcame his passions and refrained from further meetings. Kiyo became furious at the sudden change of heart and pursued him in rage. The priest and Kiyohime met at the edge of the Hidaka river, where the priest asked a boatman to help him to cross the river, but told him not to let her cross with his boat. When Kiyo saw that Anjin was escaping her, she jumped into the river and started to swim after him. While swimming in the torrent of the Hidaka river, she transformed into a large serpent because of her rage. When Anjin saw her coming after him in the form of a huge serpent, he ran into the temple called Dōjōji. He asked the priests of Dōjōji for help and they hid him under the bell of temple. However, the serpent smelled him hiding inside the bell and started to coil around it. It banged the bell loudly several times with its tail, then gave a great belch of fire that melted the bell, killing the priest.

Though there are some pretty big differences in the general ending of the story and some details-It sounds very reminisce of the good old Shizuru and Natsuki fight in Mai HiME doesn't it?
Anyone see any other parallels in the actual relationship and the myth? or any other old myths that are connected to the Mai HiME/Otome worlds?
Konaxookami
Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

Back to top Go down

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene Empty Re: Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene

Post by Guest Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:10 pm

That's very interesting! I wonder if I can find any connections to other things, I'm gonna try xD

Back to top Go down

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene Empty Re: Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene

Post by Midori Sugiura99 Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Wow, awesome post, Kona. I know a bit about Japanese mythology but I'm not too familiar with Kiyohime. I will be back after I ponder this more (and when I don't have to go to bed in 10 minutes XD)
Midori Sugiura99
Midori Sugiura99
Asami Hikaru aka Komu
Asami Hikaru aka Komu

Bubuzuke points : 4714
Armitage GUTS!!! : 913

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

i thought everyone just knew that... i'm glad i wasn't the only one who noticed X3 we're all pretty smart here. i found it while looking for a picture of Kiyohime, i love that story X3
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 965
Armitage GUTS!!! : 408

Back to top Go down

Post by Kino karutta-chan Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16 am

Nothing new to me ^_^ It's Kiyohime, right?? So I had to know it XD
Thx for sharing, Kona ;3
Kino karutta-chan
Kino karutta-chan
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö
Eyes Set to Kk-chan ö.ö

Bubuzuke points : 7047
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1556

http://kinokarutta-chan.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Kiyo- means pure
and i think we all know what Hime means Wink
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:30 pm

speaking of Kiyohime i found this posted on DA in the last 24 hours and it's VERY popular

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene Kiyohime_by_GENZOMAN
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:36 pm

:lol: Yeah, I faved that yesterday. I'm not into naga girls (that's my roommate's fetish) but that is one sexy piece of art. I love you
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 pm

in-fuckin-deed
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderNeKoHiME Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 pm

i'm so glad it didn't end in death. :3 that would be bad!
what about mai tokiha in mai-otome? the tragic meister story. that has parallels to many drama/love stories, i don't know where to begin. x_x
SpiderNeKoHiME
SpiderNeKoHiME
Spider Queen
Spider Queen

Bubuzuke points : 1353
Armitage GUTS!!! : 278

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 pm

haha you're right but i think they had more "myth" in HiME than in Otome. it's like they focused on the hidden messages in HiME. Duran is also a part of a myth isn't he? *well kuga did change his original name right*
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Konaxookami Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 pm

what about mai tokiha in mai-otome? the tragic meister story. that has parallels to many drama/love stories, i don't know where to begin. x_x

Don't we all know it. I think that was more Natsuki's fault than anything. xD She was the one who kept telling people that Mai was the 'tragic meister'. I think NAtsuki read too many romance novels in that aspect. xDD

haha you're right but i think they had more "myth" in HiME than in Otome. it's like they focused on the hidden messages in HiME. Duran is also a part of a myth isn't he?

Otome was definitely a more fairytale themed show I think. But I don't know if there are any myths to go with Duran. He was named after Natsuki's old dog who was named after a rock band called 'Duran Duran' I haven't listened to their music, but maby ethe songs connect to Natsuki and Duran? xD I dunno though-I think Duran is pretty myth free.
Konaxookami
Konaxookami
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2209
Armitage GUTS!!! : 803
Location : Somewhere between the Furthest Ring and the Hall of Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 pm

i thought she changed his name because of her past, she was so linked with trying to get revenge that nothing else mattered so the name changed :p i thought because all the others are actually connected to myths.

((holy crap, something was added to my signature again! X3 i love when that happens, Nina is so cute!))
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:48 pm

Um, guys? Lookie what I foundie here:

Kiyohime myth connections to the Shiznat fight scene Naga_s10
Naga Shizuru by Squishys_Kitty

:shock:
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:49 pm

:shock:

...uh...I got nothin'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Violet boobies do look yummy...
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 pm

she looks like Medusa
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm

Oo... I remember reading that Kiyohime tale off Wiki a while back.

And regarding that pic with medusa-esque Shizuru... she's missing some red. I mean, at least personally, I think Shizuru rocks red better than purple.
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 pm

RedEyedWolf wrote:she looks like Medusa

She looks like a warrior mermaid. XD
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RedEyedWolf Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:08 pm

i like her better in red too
RedEyedWolf
RedEyedWolf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by sarcastic-dog Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 am

Durans original name is Yafusa or Yatsufusa.

If you ever have seen "The Hakkenden" ..that anime is almost a direct reference to the original story.
I just give a short resume:

Nansō Satomi Hakkenden (南總里見八犬傳?, or using simplified kanji, 南総里見八犬伝)
Lord Saotime promises his daughter Fuse to the dogYatsufusa, if the animal manages to kill his enemy and return. He meant that as a joke but the dog returned the next evening with the head of Lord Anzai.
Yafusa then took his daughter with him and left the house. She later gave birth to eight sons which represented the fundamental virtues of confucianism.

The name Yafusa appears in te Natsuki no Prelude story where Nagi tells her about her child.
sarcastic-dog
sarcastic-dog
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 162
Armitage GUTS!!! : 71

http://sarcastic-dog.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Miyotakano Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 pm

I saw anotuther legend where Kiyohime and angin rise to heaven together which has even more of a connection to the fight scene
Miyotakano
Miyotakano
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 178
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down