Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction

2 posters

Go down

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Empty Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation
---

Phantasy Star Online 2 is the hottest sensation to sweep Seiga Academy! It's the MMO that brings everyone together, both on campus and in the dorms, but new student Itsuki Tachibana didn't get the memo. He considers himself a "handyman" when it comes to afterschool activities. He's a jack of all trades but master of none, the kind of guy so average that the most amazing girl in school (Izumi Rina, student council president, valedictorian, sports star, and all around class legend) would never stoop to look his way. All of that changes when Izumi invites Itsuki out of the blue to become student council vice president. He might be just the right kind of fresh blood their club's been missing, but if he wants to help them unite the student body, he's got to learn how to play Phantasy Star Online 2. Itsuki's massively multiplayer online adventure starts today! Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation is an original work based on the game franchise and can be found streaming on Crunchyroll, Saturdays at 1:00 AM EST.

Source: Anime News Network

---

One of the things that caught me off guard (during my first viewing) was Rina Izumi being revealed as SORO's player. SORO, with that manly robot voice, is really the pretty kaichou. No wonder SORO was so awkward and cooperative.

I'm enjoying Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation so far. It's simple, straight to the point and isn't about being stuck inside an MMORPG for once (forum member Lerena and I are sick of that tired old formula). If this series continues on the pattern of mixing the crazy action and lore of the Phantasy Star universe, while developing the players in the real world, then it will accomplish enough.

This series does demonstrate how into the game these young people get. To Rina especially, it's more than just a game. It's an experience. I find this approach a little realistic. People take these MMORPGs seriously, as if this world is more valuable than the air they breathe. But rather than portray these students as lonely people with no futures (we don't want to be reminded of reality now!), the series paints them as intelligent, passionate people who want to showcase the game as a legitimate activity, rather than a time waster (like Warcraft and Guild Wars 2). I've never played the new PSO2 for PSP (and soon PS4, if my information is correct), but the previous Phantasy Star games for Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast and the Xbox 360 were excellent games that truly immersed you into a space adventure, while maintaining the classic RPG magic, dungeons and beasts.

As a bonus note, I loved the dancing Rappy in the closing sequence. XD Did not expect that at all.

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction 12605210
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction 12604710
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction 12640510

Rina-san's "mask" IS SORO. Brilliant secret identity element that works wonders. Due to Rina's immense knowledge as this OP veteran pro player, her SORO "voice" can convince anyone that she is a macho male player. Itsuki should count his lucky Meseta earnings on a daily basis! This is one hell of a partner and I cannot wait to see where this goes. Especially when SORO's identity is exposed.

We also got the mysterious Aika (or Ai Ai) who is keeping an eye on our inexperienced protagonist. She is already a hit with the ladies at Seiga Academy (LOVE THE IN-JOKE!!!!) as seen below:

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna14
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna15
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna16
It's crystal clear which girl asked Aika such a question.  omg

HEY!

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna17
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna18
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna19

Was that Rappy on Aika's shoulder?! Am I going insaaaaaaaaane?!

Bottom line, it's not art or full of depth, but Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation is a lot of fun and focused on the player's love of the game (rather than the world of the game itself). That was my problem with the immensely boring dot.Hack//sign and the disjointed, and ultimately unfocused Sword Art Online. PSO2 is more direct with it's narrative of passionate weirdo gamers who want to get better at a game, WITHOUT taking any seriously. There's no lofty plot involving life and death situations and brain drains by mustache twirling villains who take advantage of the VR community. PSO2 is simple, has likable enough characters and all the cool visuals you'd expect from an anime of it's kind. It's more rewarding if you're a fan of Sega's long running series of games. I'll have my thoughts on Episode 4 once it becomes available. :)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Empty Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction

Post by Lerena Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I don't have a whole lot to say about the series so far, because I've only watched the first episode. However, it is a fine addition to my list of watched anime series. I plan to continue watching it as more episodes come out.

Hopefully it's as good as the games. When I see visual novels, books, and games changed into anime series or movies, sometimes I see significant criticism that makes the anime or movie seem awful in comparison. Often this is true so I hope to not see that here as the anime progresses. And even if the games might be better by the last episode, I definitely hope that the anime remains enjoyable to watch.

So far, my first impression is pretty much what I've heard and witnessed just by finishing up the first episode. It's a lovely series that seems to be developing its characters outside the featured game in the series. That's what drew me to it in the first place. It's different from say .Hack or Sword Art Online, plus always using the 'stuck in a video game or MMORPG' plot is just stupid. I wanted to watch a series where I could see the players' actual lives outside of the game. This was a passing thought in the past, but I was reminded of it when I heard that the anime for Phantasy Star Online 2 is a bit different from Sword Art Online and .Hack. It definitely seems to be what I wanted and it doesn't even use the 'stuck in a video game' plot alongside its game. That's a plus immediately.

The series seems promising overall. I look forward to seeing how it actually does. Maybe it will handle being an anime in a good way.
Lerena
Lerena
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist
The Solitary Slytherin Duelist

Bubuzuke points : 3771
Armitage GUTS!!! : 558
Location : In the middle of a dark void containing me and a laptop with inter-dimensional Internet

Back to top Go down

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Empty Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:14 am

Lerena wrote:I wanted to watch a series where I could see the players' actual lives outside of the game. This was a passing thought in the past, but I was reminded of it when I heard that the anime for Phantasy Star Online 2 is a bit different from Sword Art Online and .Hack. It definitely seems to be what I wanted and it doesn't even use the 'stuck in a video game' plot alongside its game. That's a plus immediately.

The series seems promising overall. I look forward to seeing how it actually does. Maybe it will handle being an anime in a good way.

Agreed 100% It's just that it's hard to relate to a series where players are stuck in the video game. The main character becomes some Messiah hero, meets the girl, fights villains...may I remind everyone again that it's all actually happening. Too hokey and it starts to distance itself away from the game theme.

Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation gets it right by having Rina, Itsuki and Aika visit this place on a routine basis as real people. Nobody is destined to save something and restore peace to whatever-IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME! DON'T TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY!

Hidden spoiler from Episode 3 that illustrates (in a small way) why this series is so good:

So Rina reveals herself to be SORO near the end. I feel this reveal was a little premature, but let's run with it. Itsuki isn't surprised at all! In fact, he tells Rina that he knew all along, based on the way SORO talked. That's such an internet element, where someone can disguise their username,but you can still recognize him or her, based on the style of typing. LOL! Because Rina takes PSO2 so seriously, her cheesy "FIGHT ON!" motivational quotes (as SORO) begin to resonate with the player. It's a nice little human moment between characters. If anything, it brought Itsuki and Rina closer together as players. LOVERS?! Hope not in this type of series, but as friends, they're showcasing some fun development. Arika Yumemiya
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsnap-2016-02-05-15h52m12s548_zpsywhkenxz
((a little late...)) Just watched Phantasy Star Online 2: The Animation Episode 4: Offline!

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsnap-2016-02-05-15h50m24s486_zps7bz7fs3o
^ The Rappy welcomes you to Luu's thoughts on the latest episode!

This episode really showcases how different the players are from their in-game OCs. Itsuki and Rina attend ARKS Fan Festa, basically a convention for PSO2 nerds. It was a lot of fun watching the two awkwardly tour the con while meeting fellow players, who appear vastly different in person! Take a gander yourself:

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna21

XD I so love this aspect of the show. The most interesting character moment in the episode belonged to Rina during this particular scene:

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna22

Just like in the Phantasy Star world, SORO is seen as the lone wolf who doesn't need allies. All of these players are shocked to learn SORO is really a beautiful girl, and yet, they still find it difficult to approach her. This added a bit more depth to Rina's character; knowing how much her life has been affected by her gaming status is sad in a way. It'll make socializing even harder for her, because I'm assuming she wants to maintain that superior reputation. As she learns later, through lonely Kota here...

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna23
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsna24

((Quick note:  Nothing represents what happens when you go to a con, BY YOURSELF, better than these two shots. When Kota finds beautiful cosplayers to take selfies with, everything is hunky dory!

When it's over...it's back to being lonely; staring at nerds having fun in their groups. :''3 There, there, Kota. That's why you need to have a partner or a group to go to events like this.))

...that it doesn't hurt to accept in-game allies and real life friends. Don't take the game so seriously! I'VE ONLY BEEN SAYING THAT SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THIS SERIES!

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsnap-2016-02-05-16h05m31s807_zpshvhqbj2i

^ Aika was also involved in the episode, giving Kota a nice drink of Monomate (Phantasy Star's HP up or potion), which was most likely Turbo-Lax. FOR FAST EFFECTIVE RELIEF.... frustrated You'll understand when you see the episode. XD

Overall, fun episode with a lot of quirky anime convention moments involving Rina and friends. Itsuki x Rina shipping love is sailing the high seas, no matter what Rina herself says. It's also implied (at least for now) that Aika and Kota might be an item? Maybe not, I just feel bad for the poor guy. That shot of him alone after taking a selfie with two pretty cosplayers was the most realistic portrayal of a solo con goer. LOL!

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsnap-2016-02-05-15h56m10s940_zpstand6mqz
Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation: Discussion and reaction Vlcsnap-2016-02-05-15h55m49s432_zpsggmvxjik
Zzzzzzzzap! Zzzzzzzzap!
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down