Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Marnie was There: Discussion

2 posters

Go down

When Marnie was There: Discussion Empty When Marnie was There: Discussion

Post by Antiope Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 am

I've just watched the trailer of the next Ghibli film : When Marnie was there

I'm not the kind of person who sees crypto-lesbian relationships everywhere (although I'm a lesbian) but here, it really struck me...

It's not the fact they said "my love" or "I love you", because they used the word "suki" which is for general love and not only love in a couple.

I'm sure there won't be something really explicit between them, it will be let to the viewer's imagination (like in numerous shoujo-ai animes, isn't it ?), but anyways, I'm happy that the two main characters are girls. Usually this type of story with a strong friendship which can lead to love is between a boy and a girl. So I'm looking forward to seeing it ! (January 2015 in France).

What's your opinion on it ?

Last edited by Antiope on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 224
Armitage GUTS!!! : 79

http://antiopedethemiscyre.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

When Marnie was There: Discussion Empty Re: When Marnie was There: Discussion

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:54 pm

When Marnie was There Viola

Joan G. Robinson's original book was a wonderful read; so you can imagine how excited I was to see a film adaption under Studio Ghibli. The animation is gorgeous! I didn't see the film yet, but the mood presented in clips and trailers were lifted from the book.

And yes, I did get yuri vibes from the story as a whole. This film does have the potential to be anime's Frozen, only this time, taken seriously. I'll have a full review on it in the future; which will include comparisons with the original book.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:23 am

Sorry for the spelling mistake blush

I didn't know it was adapted from a book. I'm curious about it but I guess I should watch the film before reading the book.

I heard that for now the movie didn't had a good audience, it's sad :/

I didn't see yuri things in Frozen. Ok, the main characters are girls, ok the movie broke the convention of princesses who should marry a prince to be fulfilled, but anyways, they're sisters -_-

Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Antiope wrote:Sorry for the spelling mistake blush

I didn't know it was adapted from a book. I'm curious about it but I guess I should watch the film before reading the book.

I heard that for now the movie didn't had a good audience, it's sad :/

I didn't see yuri things in Frozen. Ok, the main characters are girls, ok the movie broke the convention of princesses who should marry a prince to be fulfilled, but anyways, they're sisters -_-

It's a nice book, hunt it down if you become a huge fan of the movie.

Yeah, unfortunately the movie wasn't a monster hit like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. Maybe because the story is grounded in reality, in comparison to the fairy tales of Studio Ghibli's older titles. Truth be told, I prefer it that way. Their whacky Japanese storytelling has been done already; it's about time they presented something more real in their glorious animation.

Incest yuri is an acquired taste. XD I don't blame you for not liking it. Only a handful of MM members enjoy it (guilty!), including my girlfriend! haha!
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:03 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
It's a nice book, hunt it down if you become a huge fan of the movie.

Yeah, unfortunately the movie wasn't a monster hit like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke. Maybe because the story is grounded in reality, in comparison to the fairy tales of Studio Ghibli's older titles. Truth be told, I prefer it that way. Their whacky Japanese storytelling has been done already; it's about time they presented something more real in their glorious animation.
Yeah I think I'll buy and read the book, but after seeing the movie Wink I'm often disappointed if I do things in the other way.

It doesn't bother me whether there is fantastic things or not. Their fairy tales are a good way to discover japanese folklore. "Pompoko" is a funny film. "Kaguya-hime no monogatari" (I know better the japanese titles than the english titles...) is a beautiful, touching movie even if the ending is weird.
But you know, "The Wind Rises" was a big success and it is grounded in reality Wink I think part of the problem is that many people are really attached to Miyazaki and don't want him to be replaced (That's stupid, he's not immortal !). The lack of success of his son's (Gôro) movies is an additional clue to that.
Personaly I think I'll go at the cinema to see "When Marnie was there" and buy the DVD when available, although it has been years since the last time I bought a movie Razz It'll be my contribution to help the movie being a success :lol:

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:Incest yuri is an acquired taste. XD I don't blame you for not liking it. Only a handful of MM members enjoy it (guilty!), including my girlfriend! haha!
That's one of the reasons I didn't like "Candy Boy" Razz
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:45 am

Antiope wrote:It doesn't bother me whether there is fantastic things or not. Their fairy tales are a good way to discover japanese folklore. "Pompoko" is a funny film. "Kaguya-hime no monogatari" (I know better the japanese titles than the english titles...) is a beautiful, touching movie even if the ending is weird.
But you know, "The Wind Rises" was a big success and it is grounded in reality Wink I think part of the problem is that many people are really attached to Miyazaki and don't want him to be replaced (That's stupid, he's not immortal !). The lack of success of his son's (Gôro) movies is an additional clue to that.
Personaly I think I'll go at the cinema to see "When Marnie was there" and buy the DVD when available, although it has been years since the last time I bought a movie Razz It'll be my contribution to help the movie being a success :lol:  [/b][/color]

Not that I'm knocking Miyazaki's work, but I tend to gravitate towards reality based story lines. 'When Marie was there' is going to end up fantastic, I can feel it. My only problem is waiting endlessly to see it! Just like with the second Nanoha movie and Madoka Rebellion, the wait will be painful, but worth it. ;3

Antiope wrote:
That's one of the reasons I didn't like "Candy Boy" Razz

I didn't enjoy 'Candy Boy' much either, but my reasons are different. I felt it was kind of slow; the incest relationship didn't bother me. Thanks to Frozen and Kill la Kill, relationships between sisters has become popular. Contemporary yuri!  Viola[/quote]
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Not that I'm knocking Miyazaki's work, but I tend to gravitate towards reality based story lines. 'When Marie was there' is going to end up fantastic, I can feel it. My only problem is waiting endlessly to see it! Just like with the second Nanoha movie and Madoka Rebellion, the wait will be painful, but worth it. ;3

Really, do you feel it will end up fantastic ? Well, you read the book, you must know better than me if the book gives material to make it end up fantastic. It wouldn't bother me though :) We just have to wait. In France the movie will be released on 14th January 2015, and in America ?

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
I didn't enjoy 'Candy Boy' much either, but my reasons are different. I felt it was kind of slow; the incest relationship didn't bother me. Thanks to Frozen and Kill la Kill, relationships between sisters has become popular. Contemporary yuri!  Viola

In fact I didn't like Candy Boy for 2 reasons : the incest relationship (contemporary yuri, really ? what sort of pervert could like that ? omg ) and the fact that absolutely nothing happended  Natsuki Kruger2  There is no story plot, that's just boring !
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 am

Antiope wrote:Really, do you feel it will end up fantastic ? Well, you read the book, you must know better than me if the book gives material to make it end up fantastic. It wouldn't bother me though :) We just have to wait. In France the movie will be released on 14th January 2015, and in America ?

Not sure, I didn't see any release date for North America. If the Blu-Ray for When Marie Was There releases on March 18, 2015, then a release for me cannot be far behind. Again, it's just one of those movies I'll end up seeing super late. Ever see Wolf Children? Wonderful anime film by  Studio Chizu and Madhouse, released back in 2012 that I didn't get to see until recently. :'D I'm so ashamed.  

Antiope wrote:(contemporary yuri, really ? what sort of pervert could like that ? omg )

Happy The kind who ship ElsAnna. Elsa
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Not sure, I didn't see any release date for North America. If the Blu-Ray for When Marie Was There releases on March 18, 2015, then a release for me cannot be far behind. Again, it's just one of those movies I'll end up seeing super late. Ever see Wolf Children? Wonderful anime film by  Studio Chizu and Madhouse, released back in 2012 that I didn't get to see until recently. :'D I'm so ashamed.  

I'll go and see it at the cinema, I just have one month to wait for that. If I wait for the DVD it will take some extra months !

Wolf Children, that is Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, isn't it ? I know the japanese titles better than the english ones lol
I have it on my computer since months, I saw it for the first time about one month ago, and in fact it was on TV yesterday, I had no problem to watch it again  Happy Really a cute film.
But there is fantastic in it, you like it anyways ?  Viola
This said, I still have a lot of japanese anime film to see...

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:
Antiope wrote:(contemporary yuri, really ? what sort of pervert could like that ? omg )

Happy The kind who ship ElsAnna. Elsa
I hope I didn't offend you Hug
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:27 am

bump
Quick update! During my shopping spree at Kinokuniya Japanese bookstore in Singapore, I found and purchased the official art book for 'When Marnie Was There'!

When Marnie was There: Discussion WIN_20150221_202951_zpsiyt7n4qc

When Marnie was There: Discussion WIN_20150221_203000_zpsj5faku4z

Needless to say; I had to have it! GRANDE CHIE A reminder! The Blu Ray releases in March! Preorder your copy on cdjapan! SO EXCITED!!!!!!
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 pm

The official art book ? That's cool :D

I saw the movie at the cinema one month ago, since then I though to myself that I should update here ^^

So yes you were definitely right, it was fantastic in it, but it doesn't bother me.
And I don't consider it a yuri film, although some feelings may be ambiguous... I didn't consider Frozen to be a yuri or shojo-ai movie either, contrary to a lot of people so who knows how they would consider "When Marnie was There" Razz

I spoiled myself while chatting of it with a friend and then checking the english page on Wikipedia (the French one is very short and doesn't spoil anything) so I was a bit disappointed when I understood what is the exact relationship between them, but it let me time to accept it before seeing the movie ^^

It is a sweet, touching film even if a bit sad. And with 2 girls being the main characters, and no useless straight love story Razz It may be one of my favourite Ghibli movies.

Speaking of that, last week I saw an exposition in Paris devoted to Studios Ghibli and the art of layout. Now I want to watch again all their movies ^^
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:55 am

Nice that you got to see it, Antiope. I'll be watching and reviewing the movie in March. Shizuru Fujino
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire reviews 'When Marnie Was There'

When Marnie was There: Discussion When-m10
When Marnie was There: Discussion 11121110
When Marnie was There: Discussion 11096410
---

Literally left in tears.

2014's 'When Marnie was There' proves that even without Miyazaki at the helm, you still get something timeless that will never disappear from your collective mind.

I love this movie. Everything from the gorgeous animation, beautiful score, and great sound is very well done, and what you'd expect from Studio Ghibli. But what this film does best, which is saying a lot, is tell a human story. Arguably, one of the most human in the entire Ghibli library. 'Marnie' plays out like a beautiful melody in one of your daydreams. It's a magical and heartfelt tale about a girl named Anna, who suffers from Asthma and heavy depression. To help her recover, her foster Auntie sends to to the country to stay with a lovable pair of relatives. Even in a better environment, Anna continues to suffer internally and runs away to be left alone. When she finds the famous and rundown Marsh House, she meets a beautiful girl named Marine. Anna is so blown away by Marnie's kindness and mysterious aura, that the two become intimate friends. As the film goes on, they learn more about one another, and learn to adapt to their respective worlds, which they found to be a burden.

'When Marnie was There' is based on the novel by Joan G. Robinson, which I haven't read in quite some time. If there are any comparisons to make, I would have to read the book again to be exact (I'm ordering a copy of the original novel as I type this). What I can truthfully say now is that 'Marnie' is perfectly paced and well told. Our supporting characters are a pleasure as they assist Anna and regard Marnie as their own personal interest and legend. Meaning, no character in this film is "just there". Everyone served purpose. Anna and Marnie themselves are wonderful, I cannot begin to describe how real these two are. Their relationship is one we look on from the outside, yet, we've been there before. Everyone experienced their personal dilemma; when we feel like we've hit our lowest point in life, with nobody who cared to notice. So we feel like we ARE them.

Sara Takatsuki and Kasumi Arimura bring so much depth to Anna and Marnie. They both deliver passionate performances. It helps seiyuu when the script is powerful, selling us two characters with a bond nobody would understand.

I wish I could talk about this film in heavier detail, but like Pinocchio, Cinderella, Wolf Children, Sailor Moon R: The Movie, Madoka Rebellion, Princess Mononoke and Hunchback of Notre Dame; 'When Marnie was There' is not an animated movie. It's an experience. One in the most realistic way possible. In fact, it's the perfect summer movie. You have the most magical time and then leave, but you carry those precious memories of that place forever. When we see Anna grow into a much stronger person, we see that the trip wasn't a waste. This trip changed her, thanks to Marnie.

For magic comes when you least expect it.

Rating:

*****\*****

BETTER THAN SEX

'When Marnie was There' is a beautiful film that hits all it's emotional and development high notes with accuracy and precision. I haven't given a film a perfect rating in quite a while, this truly was a special film to end Studio Ghibli's illustrious career.

BONUS:

When Marnie was There: Discussion 22193_10
When Marnie was There: Discussion 10998010
When Marnie was There: Discussion 11080910

Got it on Blu Ray. Not surprising. Viola
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm glad you love the movie :)

And thank you for the detailed analysis. I guess I should buy the book.

I have to wait until 1st July for the DVD release in France, it's so long :/ But I'll buy it, no doubt about it, even if it's been a very long time since the last time I bought a DVD ! It will be my small contribution to make Studios Ghibli realize that they have a lot of fans and they should keep on doing movies ^^
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Antiope wrote:I'm glad you love the movie :)

And thank you for the detailed analysis. I guess I should buy the book.

I have to wait until 1st July for the DVD release in France, it's so long :/ But I'll buy it, no doubt about it, even if it's been a very long time since the last time I bought a DVD ! It will be my small contribution to make Studios Ghibli realize that they have a lot of fans and they should keep on doing movies ^^

I uploaded my review on YouTube as well. I pretty much repeat what was said in my written review, but I was amazed to find many other reviews for the film. Most of them saying this is the best Ghibli film since forever! So happy to hear that; I expected 'Marnie' to be great, but a perfect movie? In this world that is dominated by Pixar and Disney meh, I'm happy to see EFFORT on the screen. Hopefully Ghibli will take the positive response for 'When Marnie was There' and push forward to create more epics.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Antiope Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Ah, it allowed me to hear your voice (and to train my oral comprehension as well Razz I've almost all understood, including the yuri part you didn't develop in your written analysis)

I don't know if I could say this is the best Ghibli movie ever. I really love this movie, that's a sure thing. Last week when my japanese teacher asked what my favourite Ghibli film was I answered "Omoide no Mânî".
But I cannot really compare with "Princess Mononoke", "Spirited Away" or "The Tale of Princess Kaguya" that are awesome movies too. The spirit is really different. These movies make us discover a part of the japanese folklore, whereas in "When Marnie was There" the fantastic only come down to a ghost story, that isn't the important point of the story.

And I also consider "When Marnie was There" as a first step toward a true lesbian couple Razz I would love to see that in a Ghibli or Disney movie !
Antiope
Antiope
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:52 pm

bump

When Marnie was There: Discussion 12079611

When Marnie was There: Discussion When-m10

Finished the English dub version of When Marnie Was There' yesterday and I absolutely loved it. I was worried the English version would ruin certain scenes and key character moments. That wasn't the case at all, the film was perfectly voice acted by everyone. Hailee Steinfeld and Kiernan Shipka (Jinora from The Legend of Korra voices Marnie! Can you believe that!?) were incredible together. They understood the emotional majesty of the Japanese original.

These movies make us discover a part of the japanese folklore, whereas in "When Marnie was There" the fantastic only come down to a ghost story, that isn't the important point of the story.

Precisely. That is why I love it the most. The story was so personal, so multi-layered to the point of no return for the viewer, that it outweighs the fantasy spectacle. Past Ghibli films had spectacle so overwhelming, they overlapped the message they were trying to convey. In Marnie, everything was paced perfectly and hit all the right notes. Yesterday's viewing (my 3rd) is another reminder of how flawless it is. Disney has Pinocchio. Pixar has Inside Out. Studio Chizu/Madhouse has Wolf Children. Ghibli has Marnie. Every studio has their perfect film for me.  Arika Yumemiya
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down