Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it hard to write for teens?

5 posters

Go down

Is it hard to write for teens? Empty Is it hard to write for teens?

Post by GAP Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 am

It has been awhile since I had actually written anything but it is really hard to write for teens? We were all teenagers once and I know that not all of us have the same experience but why is difficult to write for teens?
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Is it hard to write for teens? Empty Re: Is it hard to write for teens?

Post by midori's crazy398 Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 pm

It's hard for me because I just can't really do it, I put too many mature and raw ideas in my stuff, even though I'm the same age as many of them. It's probably because I've been too exposed to hard things.
midori's crazy398
midori's crazy398
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2588
Armitage GUTS!!! : 442

http://swif.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LyriumEidolon Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:10 am

Personally, when I started writing, I found it relatively easy to write for teens. My writing then was too advanced for children (and still is to this day I think), yet the themes or subject matter would be too weak for mature ratings, so teen rating was a middle-ground in which I could work. Some of my writings did admittedly go into what I would call late teens, if that makes any sense (i.e. maybe bordering on mature), but I think my first official mature fanfic was The Void, which had a number of dark themes to it that I didn't introduce in my writing before then.

My writing has, I think, grown somewhat darker, but if I feel that teenagers can relate to it, or if I feel that the story is somewhat advanced but can get away without a warning sign attached to it, it is suitable for teens. I say 'warning sign' because there is always the chance (at least on fanfiction.net) that children could be reading teen stories, so if there is something that can be potentially confusing or unsettling to a child, like overt sexual interaction for sake of example, I might rate it M as a form of protection just in case.

In short, the best way I can imagine writing for teens is striking a balance between the content quality for adults and for children. You don't want to cross heavily into the adult level, but at the same time, you don't want to remove that element from your writing altogether, as teenagers are on the verge of becoming adults to my mind. Maybe just see if you can find that middle-ground.

These are just my thoughts on the subject, so they could very well be off, but I hope this helps.  Happy 
LyriumEidolon
LyriumEidolon
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 331
Armitage GUTS!!! : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by franticfranz Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:48 am

Now that I think of it. It is kind of hard. Same with Mi-cray, I tend to put more mature stuff and more drama.
franticfranz
franticfranz
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 2192
Armitage GUTS!!! : 273

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 am

Does every story need to be a bildungroman or coming-of-age tale?
GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Yagamic Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:01 pm

In my case, I had more time to write in my early teens than now that I'm almost not a teen Razz so I found it easier back then. Also, I had more interesting ideas for writing and now I am concentrating my good ideas for art.

Writing, for a teen who reads a lot, it may be easy because they have an idea of how a story works out. But you are concetrating in stories most of the times related to love, at least I was back then XDDD.

And no, not every story need to be a coming-of-age story, each story is different, it may be similar to others, but it's not the same. You all know that, but yes, while you are a teen that ''coming-of-age'' is important, so a lot of stories are about that, because teen is a stage between childhood and adulthood. And there are multiple ways for telling a story,  the plot can work out in the space of 5 minutes or less. So everything is possible in fiction  Gay Rainbow
Yagamic
Yagamic
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 462
Armitage GUTS!!! : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum