Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko

+2
Kuga Natsuki
shezaei-neko
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko Empty Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko

Post by shezaei-neko Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 am

Well, apparently there was a vote while I wasn't around where you wanted to interview me. So, here you have it. I think you can ask more questions after this, but I'm not sure, the Walrus Shogun will be able to answer that then. Razz

Here goes nothing.

Tell us a little bit about yourself!

How did you first discover Mai-HiME/Otome?
Well, it was thanks to a guy from college. We usually exchanged anime titles. He told me all the titles he had and he told me about that one saying that it was good. He lent it to me and when watching the scene where Gagutsuchi awakens, I heard the music. I had downloaded that theme of Mezame time ago, but I didn’t know from which series it was, until then. From that moment on, it grew on me. After I finished watching Hime, I asked him to lend me Otome, and from that moment onwards I became a fan and waited for any news related to the series.

What attracted you to the Mai-Series?
The music was the first thing that drew me in. I was already a Yuki Kajiura fan, so usually great series use her music. Then, the big beasts and powers, as well as the animation. It was really good! Specially that first battle of Mikoto and Natsuki, that just screamed: AWESOMENESS!!

Tell us about your first impression of Natsuki Kuga as a character?
What a bad-ass hottie. Strong female characters have always drawn me in. And the Kuga-pup was not an exception.

Your feelings on ShizNat and their massive following?
If it wasn’t for ShizuNatsu, my love for yuri wouldn’t be as big. They changed something inside me and are a part of me now. I’m not opposed to the massive following, in fact, I think it’s thanks to them that people is drawn into watching the Hime/Otome series. But I also think that some people have not seen the series and just know about it thanks to them, and when they watch it, maybe their expectations were not met somehow, and they take only the ShizuNatsu from the Hime/Otome series. Which is a shame, since it’s a great anime.

Do you feel Mai-HiME was influenced by anime of the past? If so, which ones?
Well, it’s Sunrise. And in my experience, Sunrise likes to do something original every time they create a new series (except for Gundam). I don’t really think there was any other series which influenced Hime/Otome. But that’s only me.

Are there parts of your personality like any of the Mai-Series girls?
XD Most likely yes. I think I’d create a Quimera Hime with all the bits I’d take from the girls.

Favorite Mai-Series fanfiction stories and authors?
Darn. Well, my list isn’t that long but I have some, yes. Let’s see as for authors: Leebot, Centauri2002, gurjhime, guubear, phantom.ryder, Ange Siniste (who sadly removed her stories from FF.net), just to name some. And I consider them as authors of the “old school from hime”; those who where there during the beginnings of the fandom, where there weren’t even 1000 fics for Hime.

As for stories, I have also quite some titles, not that many but some of my favorites are: Inter Nos, Theogony, Giving In, Not Quite Over Yet, My Girl, Perchance to Dream, Losing Grace, Rearranged, Other World, just to name a few. If you want to see some of the ones I’ve faved, you can visit my profile at FF.net.

You're an author yourself. What have you written? ;3
Well, I’ve written around 18 stories focusing only in ShizuNatsu. Some of them are still on-going but have been on hiatus for a WHILE. *shame on me*
Some are chaptered stories, while others are just one-shots. I always try to give my stories a happy ending where my characters can be together despite the entire struggle they might go through. I always say: “there’s already enough drama and angst in real-life, let’s give the characters a break and make them happy.” That’s why most of my fics can be extremely fluffy and more. I’m just a sucker for happy endings.

Were you one of the fans who were slightly disappointed with Mai-Otome?
Au contraire, I loved Mai-Otome. Since I was able to see ShizuNatsu’s love displayed with much more depth. Like more mature wise, even if it was for a brief moment.

Your feelings on Mai Tokiha. Also, do you feel Natsuki Kuga should of been the main heroine?
I like Mai, but not to the length of Natsuki or Shizuru. She’s a very likeable character and with her funny moments too. I liked how she was made more ‘real’ after her loss of Takumi and Tate, she felt more human. Compared to the first part where she was the hippie of the group trying to save everyone and becoming over-powered. So, when shit hit the fan, we were able to see she was just a normal girl.

I’d like to see Natsuki as the main heroine just to see how much that would change the plot, and how Mai’s role would change due to that. But besides this, I don’t think Natsuki should’ve been the main heroine, even if at some point it looks like she is.

How much has the Mai-Series influenced the yuri community, compared to say Marimite and Strawberry Panic?
The Mai-series is one of the pillars of Yuri. And even if people don’t want to admit it, it was thanks to ShizuNatsu. It’s been thanks to doujinshi that it’s become popular and well-known (Thanks Doropanda Tours!!)
Also, one can’t deny that the personalities of the characters themselves help a lot. Shizuru being all lady-like and Natsuki being the rebel one make a great combo! Then add the action, it’s a hit!
And that is something we don’t see in Marimite or Stopani. Let’s say that those two give you the same recipe for yuri, it’s something that we’ve given time after time, and it can get tiresome. That’s why Hime is refreshing.

Any other favorite Mai-Series incarnations aside from the anime, like EXA, the original manga or Mai-HiME Destiny?
Well, I haven’t read the Destiny novels yet, but I’ve read how the universe is set there and I like the idea, plus the art is awesome. And I enjoyed to certain degree the Otome manga.

What makes Shizuru Fujino so attractive?
Her accent (voice), her weapon and her determination. Even if her ways were not the “correct” ones, and by that I mean how she slaughtered the 1st D. (not that I care), her heart was in place. Doing practically anything for her beloved one. Also, most of the characters that portray the Japanese culture beauty are quite popular, specially if at some point they wear a kimono.

Should SUNRISE continue doing more Mai-Series anime or do you feel the series ended on a high note with Mai-Otome Zwei (technically, the final chapter).
It’s a double edged sword. Hime was popular and well received in Japan. If they do decide to continue its legacy, I think that the best way to improve it would be by doing a whole remake. Making it longer, better animation and filling the plot holes they left behind, and maybe give some of the characters that didn’t get to shine that much, their moment. For this, they should “continue”. Or simply take Destiny and do it better this time.
Some examples could be: Full Metal Alchemist and Hellsing. The Hellsing OVAs are way superior to the series. It can be done, so do it!

The origins of your famous username, Shezaei Neko?
XD I think I’ve said it before but anyway. I was watching an episode of Card Captor Sakura and I heard they said a name of a cat, but I couldn’t get the correct name so I just wrote it how I heard it. And since then, I’ve been using it. Razz

Extras:
Are you a general fan of anime/manga? What other series do you enjoy?
Oh yes!! I’ve been an Otaku since I was in elementary school. And I have too many series to name but let’s see: Sailor moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, Escaflowne, Gundam, Macross Frontier, Kaleido Star, Fate/stay Night, Inu Yasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Chrono Crusade, Ayashi No Ceres, Angelic Layer, Fushigi Yuugi, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Ah! My Goddess!, Digimon, X, Kannazuki No Miko, Noir, School Rumble, Kara no Kyokai, Strike Witches, Ga Rei-Zero, among many others.

Your Favourite stories in general Literature or fanfiction from other shows?
Other shows…well, if you don’t count video-game fandoms, I just have a couple. Let’s say that once I focus in one fandom, it’s hard for me to move to another or pay attention to any other. So, I can’t really name any.

What specific yuri anime-stories would you recommend? (Hint hint: Include a list of your favorite yuri couples!)
Kannazuki no Miko – Chikane X Himeko.
Strike Witches – Mio x Minna – If only people could see beyond the panty-shots, they’d find and incredible universe with canon and not canon couples. It’s not yuri, but it’s really amazing.
Sasameki Koto.
Strawberry Panic – Nagisa x Shizuma
And I think that’d be all. XD

What genre of music do you listen to?
If I said I listen to everything, I’d be lying, so…
I really like J-pop, but not all J-pop. I only listen to certain artists. My all time favorite is Maaya Sakamoto.
I like to listen anime/video game OSTs, the music is awesome and enjoyable to hear time after time.
As for “normal” music, I tend to listen to the oldies, those pop and rock songs from the 60’s-80’s and early 90’s. Also I like New Age, Celtic, Classical, a bit of Jazz, and some others.
But, in general, that’s what I listen the most.

Your favorite artist that you know personally?
The only one I’d like to get an autograph from is Maaya Sakamoto. Besides her, I’m not really into celebrities of any type, so I don’t know anyone.

Any website/forum you visit religiously?
FF.net, Deviantart, archiveofourown, MM forum. I used to visit more, but these ones are my top priorities when surfing the web.

Did you discover your ability to write fanfiction naturally? Or did you take writing lessons?
It was naturally, in some way. Before I decided to start writing, I’d read quite a few fics by that time, so I guess those influenced me in my writing. Also, my beta helps me a lot. You can see the process of how my writing has changed through my fics after getting a beta. Besides that, no, I didn’t take any lessons besides the ones I took at school, which, let’s be sincere, aren’t focused on making you a writer.

What are you looking for in fanfiction? On top of that, what exactly IS a GOOD fanfiction to you?
Let’s see…
A good plot/story: it doesn’t matter if it’s an AU or spin-off or whatever; if they can set the characters in that universe without them being too OOC, I’m in for the ride.

Character development / keep the character in character: That the character grows in someway during the story. Yet, still maintaining their original essence. Also, that the author doesn’t over-exploits a specific trait of the character out of whim. Like Natsuki’s love for mayonnaise. I can tolerate OOC for plot’s sake, if it’s well done.

Good grammar: I know I’m not an English native speaker, but that doesn’t mean that you have to butcher the language. If the grammar is poor, I lose interest in it quickly. I try to read it to give the author a chance, but if it continues, I just drop it.

And of course the smut is always a plus in my book. :3

To me a good fanfiction is that story that makes my heart ache in a good or bad way, that I can’t take off my mind and that I even start creating scenarios for it in my mind, speculating what may happen next. That story that leaves me craving for more. That story that made my love for those characters grow bigger. The fic that makes me laugh, smile in a silly way, and makes my eyes tear, specially when it ends. The stories I can re-read and never get tired of them. Those to me are GOOD fanfiction.

Do you have a message for fans of Mai-HiME/Otome and your fellow MManiacs!? >:3
What can I say? It’s a blast meeting people like you. This way I know I’m not the only nuts out there in the world. It’s been a while since I had so much fun in a forum, so I have to thank you for making this place enjoyable. Thanks! (and I don’t know what else to say… XD)

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER! Razz
ALL HAIL SHIZUNATSU!! (AND FLIGHT)

Last edited by shezaei-neko on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko Empty Re: Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko

Post by Kuga Natsuki Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 am

Excellent interview, Neko Mikoto Minagi
Kuga Natsuki
Kuga Natsuki
Space Samurai Marshall Banana
Space Samurai Marshall Banana

Bubuzuke points : 9709
Armitage GUTS!!! : 593

http://stargazerium.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko Empty Re: Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Like Nymph, I was rolling in laughter when ShezNek referred to Mai as, quote, "A hippie".

Objection

No objections from me. :'3 It's true if you think about it...
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daichi148 Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 pm

in fact I laughed when I read it too. xD
Im curious, so I have a new mission:
from the saga: -Dai, get a life!- I'll try to find the "Shezaei" cat... (leisure is not good...)¬¬
but you seriously, thank you very much for sharing this Neko-chan :)
Daichi148
Daichi148
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 914
Armitage GUTS!!! : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Daichi148 wrote:in fact I laughed when I read it too. xD
Im curious, so I have a new mission:
from the saga: -Dai, get a life!- I'll try to find the "Shezaei" cat... (leisure is not good...)¬¬
but you seriously, thank you very much for sharing this Neko-chan :)

There's only one "Shezaei" cat. Wink Good luck.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm

That's me, the one and only. >:3
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:04 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:That's me, the one and only. >:3

I don't think anyone could stand two of you. >:'3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 pm

And now what's that supposed to mean? >:3
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by IlliterateKoi Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Great interview Neko-chan!

I'm sure that two of you running around would be...interesting Razz
IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi
Goldfish wanker of Camelot

Bubuzuke points : 4261
Armitage GUTS!!! : 441

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:And now what's that supposed to mean? >:3

>:3 You really wanna know?
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Curiosity killed the cat, didn't it? Razz

EDIT: DAMN typo....>:3

Last edited by shezaei-neko on Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by IlliterateKoi Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 am

shezaei-neko wrote:Curiosity killed the car, didn't it? Razz

First it kills the cat, now it killed the CAR?! XD
IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi

Bubuzuke points : 4261
Armitage GUTS!!! : 441

Back to top Go down

Post by Daichi148 Thu May 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Koi.. you know... the cat takes revange!!!

PS: I want to find the cat that neko chan use like insiration. just curious

If I want to found our "Shezaei" Neko chan well... this could be the second part of the mission.
Daichi148
Daichi148
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 914
Armitage GUTS!!! : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm

Mai-HiME/Otome interview Series: Shezaei-Neko Vcr10

ShezNek's work. :'3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 pm

The grumpy cat thaught me how to do that. :3
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Ice Silver Crystal Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Razz i love your interview neko-oneesama!!
honest and funny! .////.
Beautiful World was my first fanfiction from you. it was so sweet.
please write more Shiznat! c:
Ice Silver Crystal
Ice Silver Crystal
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy
Kruger Wolf Pack Puppy

Bubuzuke points : 1340
Armitage GUTS!!! : 485

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sat May 04, 2013 12:30 am

I'm Onee-sama!! YAY!!!

Oh, thanks for reading. ^^
I'm glad to know you enjoyed it.
You could read more, most of them are fluffy and sweet. :3

I think I've only written 1 fic that is overly angsty.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 pm

*raises hand* Yeah, hi! What made you write a angst fic anyway? Wink It's not like you to do something depressing, ShezNek.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sun May 05, 2013 12:10 am

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:*raises hand* Yeah, hi! What made you write a angst fic anyway? Wink It's not like you to do something depressing, ShezNek.

Well, it usually happens when I read a very, very, very, very angsty and drepressing fic and made some kind of click in me. So I just have to let those emotions out with the characters that provoked it... Razz
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun May 05, 2013 11:24 am

ShizNat <--- Greatest source of inspiration. Wink

That's the one thing that could be added in a follow up interview down the road. You entered our fandom as an fanfiction author first, Neko. Wink I'm gonna have to gather those who have read your read to ask you questions. Lots and lots of questions~

I'll do this after Otakon is over (late August), still a bit early.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 pm

dawn bring it on!!
I wonder what they'll ask. Razz
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 pm

shezaei-neko wrote: dawn bring it on!!
I wonder what they'll ask. Razz

That's ultimately up to them, Neko! Earlier, I skimmed through some of the ff.net peoples who have you as a favorite author. Nice to know that some of them are friends of mine; making the interview easier to construct~
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 am

Wow, that's very cool.
Please thank them for their support. :3
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:Wow, that's very cool.
Please thank them for their support. :3

Their names will be mentioned, don't you worry about that. Natsuki Kruger2
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh...okay!
I'll thank them then once it's done. Natsuki Kruger2
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next