Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The storyline/concept of Mai-HiME

+7
Bluholic711
GAP
Veronica-Searrs
Highman
Magus Phantalus
Luu Sky Sapphire
clemeh
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

hime - The storyline/concept of Mai-HiME - Page 4 Empty Re: The storyline/concept of Mai-HiME

Post by Break String SpinElf Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

That's definitely a fertile avenue to explore, yes. There's also the Otome no Inori Blu-Ray special which adds to the lore of Arika at Fuuka (along with Erstin, of course), so there's an opportunity to explore it from both perspectives, HiME & SEARRS "Valkyrie." It'd also be an opportunity to add HiME-parts for some of the other Otome who didn't have HiME analogues previously (e.g. Laula appears as a cohort of Arika in the "movie" trailer iirc).

All of which means, of course, that, should they ever return to the series, it probably won't be that. But it's definitely fertile ground as it could add some explanation of SEARRS' continued efforts in the post-Carnival world, possibly including how they developed some of the tech which allowed the colonisation of Earl & other planets.
Break String SpinElf
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 976
Armitage GUTS!!! : 103

Back to top Go down

hime - The storyline/concept of Mai-HiME - Page 4 Empty Re: The storyline/concept of Mai-HiME

Post by Akamanto Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 pm

GAP wrote:It has been awhile since I posted here but if they do continue the series, do you think they would follow the path of the Mai Hime "movie" and expand on he SEARRS foundation and introduce Arika? It won't be a remake but rather a continuation of the series.
Unsure... I'm interested in anything new they add to the series, honestly (although, I do kind of want them to stick to the established cast, since that's most of the reason why I found Mai-Otome so fun).

Personally, I would prefer to see the lore behind the Carnival/Valkyries/Battle princesses. (´ ε ` ) I'd like for something like... I dunno, a 10-year time skip, wherein the Gates of Valhalla have opened and the ghosts of the past Carnival (where Mashiro won) are causing havok with the ex-HiME. It'd be cool to see character progression and to see how everyone coped with the events/reconciliated with each other/etc.; there's a lot of potential, which can be seen in the multitudes of post-Carnival fanfic.

Break String SpinElf wrote:Excellent point. That middle section, when the ORPHANs stop manifesting and Searrs make their play, before Nagi reveals the true nature of the HiME Carnival, are some of the most compelling anime I have ever seen.
I love this bit, too! d(≧▽≦)b My favourite is probably (predictably) the Carnival arc, because it's a relentless rollercoaster of Bad Stuff, but I really enjoy the thrill of having the rug pulled out from under me when things take a sudden turn with Alyssa and Miyu.

Break String SpinElf wrote:I personally cannot stand the notion that "realistic" means depressing.
I kinda dislike a lot of the arguments for "realism" in fiction, honestly... I think fiction needs to be believable, but not necessarily realistic. If I want something that adheres 100% to the real world, I'd read non-fiction. I mean, sure, non-fiction is enjoyable and I do love it, but that's not what I come to fiction for, you know? I come to be told a story, not to read facts. Natsuki's guns not being the proper shape or Arika and Nina not suffocating immediately in space didn't really bother me in the slightest, because I just waved it away as magic telekinetic bullets or some nanomachines magic.

Break String SpinElf wrote:(albeit, given that he was talking to Mai, it's more likely that he was trying to steer her away from the dark, handsome and mysterious Veep).
Not that I can blame him for being worried; despite a lack of interest on my part, I definitely understand Reito's appeal to Mai more than Tate's. The guy has charm practically oozing off of him!

Break String SpinElf wrote:Absolutely, and, I must add, it was great to see Natsuki given a satisfying (and, of course, much-loved) trajectory of her own in her relationship with the increasingly-decompensated Shizuru.
Hehe, well. One of the things I love the most about Mai-HiME is its treatment of its characters' sexualities, so you won't see disagreement from me on that front! Yukino, Shizuru, and Natsuki all approach their feelings and identity in ways befitting of their characters. I enjoy that, since Mai-HiME is a show about love, they didn't shy away from this side of love, too. Hard to believe it was made in 2004! (⌒∀⌒)
Akamanto
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 202
Armitage GUTS!!! : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Akamanto wrote:I kinda dislike a lot of the arguments for "realism" in fiction, honestly... I think fiction needs to be believable, but not necessarily realistic. If I want something that adheres 100% to the real world, I'd read non-fiction. I mean, sure, non-fiction is enjoyable and I do love it, but that's not what I come to fiction for, you know? I come to be told a story, not to read facts. Natsuki's guns not being the proper shape or Arika and Nina not suffocating immediately in space didn't really bother me in the slightest, because I just waved it away as magic telekinetic bullets or some nanomachines magic.
Absolutely agree with this. Unfortunately, certain utter arseholes people, shall we say, struggle with the concept of "suspension of disbelief." I'm as pedantic as the next utterly pedantic arsehole person but, sheesh, people. Nobody's pretending that this is stuff which really happens. Not everything has to be scientifically correct. Ever heard of fairytales? Because real life can be boring. Hell, there are a lot of people in this world who wish their lives were humdrum and without incident I'll bet. Bad stuff happens. People want to escape from constantly being bombarded by it sometimes. It's human nature.

Blows steam from ears and ends rant.

Akamanto wrote:I definitely understand Reito's appeal to Mai more than Tate's. The guy has charm practically oozing off of him!
He's definitely a sophisticated devil, that Reito. There's a compelling dichotomy between the urbane Reito and his feral sister. I'd like to see the Minagi clan explored some more, as it seems to me the male chosen as the OL's vessel receives a lengthy education in the ways of the world, whereas his younger sister is trained in the art of battle (Mikoto's swordcraft means she's pretty much unmatched in hand-to-hand terms), graduating by killing her mentor (who may be her actual grandfather, rather than her using the term as an honourific).

Akamanto wrote:Hehe, well. One of the things I love the most about Mai-HiME is its treatment of its characters' sexualities, so you won't see disagreement from me on that front!
Definitely. The series runs the full gamut, from casual homophobia (regrettably, Haruka) to homo- and heterosexuality expressed in varying ways as per the relationship in question, to the enigmatic (Natsuki comes to mind) and the just-about-awakening to the notion of sexual love (Mikoto, ever the ingenue). The depiction of the relationships developing - both negative & positive - is particularly well done in many cases.

Akamanto wrote:Hard to believe it was made in 2004! (⌒∀⌒)
Absolutely. We've come a long way as a species, at least in the "west," in a relatively short time.
Break String SpinElf
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by GAP Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Akamoto wrote:I kinda dislike a lot of the arguments for "realism" in fiction, honestly... I think fiction needs to be believable, but not necessarily realistic. If I want something that adheres 100% to the real world, I'd read non-fiction. I mean, sure, non-fiction is enjoyable and I do love it, but that's not what I come to fiction for, you know? I come to be told a story, not to read facts. Natsuki's guns not being the proper shape or Arika and Nina not suffocating immediately in space didn't really bother me in the slightest, because I just waved it away as magic telekinetic bullets or some nanomachines magic.

That is a good way to look at it but some shows do strive to be realistic or at least be as believable as possible.

Break String SpinElf wrote:Absolutely. We've come a long way as a species, at least in the "west," in a relatively short time.

Break String SpinElf wrote:Definitely. The series runs the full gamut, from casual homophobia (regrettably, Haruka) to homo- and heterosexuality expressed in varying ways as per the relationship in question, to the enigmatic (Natsuki comes to mind) and the just-about-awakening to the notion of sexual love (Mikoto, ever the ingenue). The depiction of the relationships developing - both negative & positive - is particularly well done in many cases.

I still have ways to go in that regard as I might have some homophobia due it being indoctrinated into me due to my religious background.

GAP
GAP
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 429
Armitage GUTS!!! : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Akamanto Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 am

Break String SpinElf wrote:Blows steam from ears and ends rant.
I relate to a lot of this rant! I mean, as long as a world is internally consistent and you can explain it away using extrapolation, what does it matter that not every divergence from reality is explained? I care more about the characters and the plot... ( ̄ε ̄@)

Break String SpinElf wrote:I'd like to see the Minagi clan explored some more, as it seems to me the male chosen as the OL's vessel receives a lengthy education in the ways of the world, whereas his younger sister is trained in the art of battle (Mikoto's swordcraft means she's pretty much unmatched in hand-to-hand terms), graduating by killing her mentor (who may be her actual grandfather, rather than her using the term as an honourific).
Yeah, definitely! Even if it's just in the artbooks or something, it'd be cool to get a bit more information about the setting of Mai-HiME. I'm semi-working through the visual novel, but... Nothing much new there, just different takes on what we already got.

There are quite a few "organisations" which seem to be trying to control the outcome of the HiME Carnival. (o・ー・)  It'd be interesting to see how they overlap, and why.

Break String SpinElf wrote:Definitely. The series runs the full gamut, from casual homophobia (regrettably, Haruka) to homo- and heterosexuality expressed in varying ways as per the relationship in question, to the enigmatic (Natsuki comes to mind) and the just-about-awakening to the notion of sexual love (Mikoto, ever the ingenue). The depiction of the relationships developing - both negative & positive - is particularly well done in many cases.
Aye. My favourite part about Mikoto's character arc is her trying to understand the concept of "liking" someone, since her worldview is pretty binary at the start: either you're her brother or you're not. It's nice seeing her be trained out of that deliberate emotional indoctrination via her bonds with Mai (and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the cast).

And, well, despite Haruka's unfortunate views on that subject, I still really like her as a character. Although, I do have to kinda ignore them if I'm to like her at all... ( ̄▽ ̄*)ゞ But, well, I was reading the comments on the episode guide from Yoshino and Obara, and it seems like they were trying to make Haruka the "voice of society". Hopefully, like society, Haruka's views will change over time... Especially given that Yukino herself harbours those kinds of feelings.

GAP wrote:That is a good way to look at it but some shows do strive to be realistic or at least be as believable as possible.
There are benefits to both! Kim Stanley Robinson's series on the settling of Mars (beginning with Red Mars) is something that tries to be as realistic as possible in focusing on the minutae, and it definitely benefits the book that it does so.

As for fantasy, I think it's enough to be believable, since realistic is impossible.

GAP wrote:I still have ways to go in that regard as I might have some homophobia due it being indoctrinated into me due to my religious background.
Just speaking personally, it's hard to examine your beliefs critically, especially when it comes to stuff that's been ingrained into you... It took me a long time and a lot of hard work to put myself in a mindset that makes me less of an asshole, for example.

Now, jury's out on whether or not it worked, but hey. I'm tryin'. (ง ื▿ ื)ว
Akamanto
Akamanto
HiME Ranger
HiME Ranger

Bubuzuke points : 202
Armitage GUTS!!! : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowMikoto Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm

I can share a piece for now, but not all at once. :3

The HiME are called by the sign of the HiME Star that is at the side of the Moon to enter Fukka Academy to ... YOU GUESSED IT! FIGHT GIANT MONSTERS CALLED ORPHANS! X_X

Mai to Mashiro ARE YOU FREAKING OUT OF YOUR MIND. YOU EXPECT US TO JUST FIGHT MONSTERS FOR A LIVING!?

Mashiro ... You bet.

^ I truly am sorry for the caps, and for this GENERIC-AS-ALL-HECK description of the main idea of the story of Mai-HiME! XD
ShadowMikoto
ShadowMikoto
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 537
Armitage GUTS!!! : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Break String SpinElf Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:18 pm

GAP wrote:I still have ways to go in that regard as I might have some homophobia due it being indoctrinated into me due to my religious background.

You deserve every credit for this admission, especially on a forum as open & accepting of the full gamut of sexual identities as this one.

I'm pretty sure you're not alone. There are a lot of people out there who have a sort-of conditioned religious-cultural aversion to homosexuality and "the other," even whilst not being overtly homophobic etc. I'd imagine most of those people lack the self-awareness to recognise the possibility of such a bias so fair play to you, GAP. Happy

Akamanto wrote:
Break String SpinElf wrote:I'd like to see the Minagi clan explored some more, as it seems to me the male chosen as the OL's vessel receives a lengthy education in the ways of the world, whereas his younger sister is trained in the art of battle (Mikoto's swordcraft means she's pretty much unmatched in hand-to-hand terms), graduating by killing her mentor (who may be her actual grandfather, rather than her using the term as an honourific).
Yeah, definitely! Even if it's just in the artbooks or something, it'd be cool to get a bit more information about the setting of Mai-HiME. I'm semi-working through the visual novel, but... Nothing much new there, just different takes on what we already got.
Agreed. There's a helluva lot of scope for revisiting the series if & when Sunrise decide to give us braying masses some new HiME.

Akamanto wrote:There are quite a few "organisations" which seem to be trying to control the outcome of the HiME Carnival. (o・ー・)  It'd be interesting to see how they overlap, and why.
Spot on! I can't see why there can't be more of an explanation of this. After all, they treated multiple competing factions successfully in Otome, which added to the level of intrigue for me.

Akamanto wrote:My favourite part about Mikoto's character arc is her trying to understand the concept of "liking" someone, since her worldview is pretty binary at the start: either you're her brother or you're not. It's nice seeing her be trained out of that deliberate emotional indoctrination via her bonds with Mai (and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the cast).
Yeah, there's the interplay between her indoctrinated monomania for finding & serving ani-ue, combined with a delightful little coming-of-age angle, with Mikoto coming to understand the nuances associated with liking & loving.

Akamanto wrote:But, well, I was reading the comments on the episode guide from Yoshino and Obara, and it seems like they were trying to make Haruka the "voice of society". Hopefully, like society, Haruka's views will change over time... Especially given that Yukino herself harbours those kinds of feelings.
Yeah, I always suspected as much. She's similar in her views to the type of people I mentioned above. I'm sure, given time, Haruka would grow up & come to accept people as they are, regardless of orientation.

ShadowMikoto wrote:I can share a piece for now, but not all at once. :3

The HiME are called by the sign of the HiME Star that is at the side of the Moon to enter Fukka Academy to ... YOU GUESSED IT! FIGHT GIANT MONSTERS CALLED ORPHANS! X_X

Mai to Mashiro ARE YOU FREAKING OUT OF YOUR MIND. YOU EXPECT US TO JUST FIGHT MONSTERS FOR A LIVING!?

Mashiro ... You bet.

^ I truly am sorry for the caps, and for this GENERIC-AS-ALL-HECK description of the main idea of the story of Mai-HiME! XD
... and then, once the monsters are out of the way, go off & fight EACH OTHER!!! mad
Break String SpinElf
Break String SpinElf
Coral student
Coral student

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4