Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion

+2
depression76
Luu Sky Sapphire
6 posters

Go down

yuri - JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion Empty JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:38 pm

yuri - JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion Mai-mu20

&

yuri - JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion Jmanga10

---

http://www.jmanga.com/

^ Let's look at the positive side of things. The website JManga provides a lot of great titles for the people who appreciate scans. From the adorable Poor Poor Lips to the extremely popular Girlfriends. On the negative side, I'm sorta sick of these amazing yuri titles being released strictly to digital downloads for ridiculous prices.

When the news of Poor Poor Lips showed up in Otaku USA magazine, I was so excited. Maybe I should of read between the lines? Still, the idea that I'd hold the physical manga books for that series was a thrill. We'd love to have more yuri/shoujo ai titles appearing in stores. Instead, we get digital downloads.

Not that there's another wrong with that. This topic and small rant is subjective...but it is a little on the cheap side. Comment, discuss and whatever. If you've purchased from JManga before, share with us.

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

yuri - JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion Empty Re: JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion

Post by depression76 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:On the negative side, I'm sorta sick of these amazing yuri titles being released strictly to digital downloads for ridicuclous prices. .

I agree with you so much on this.

Especially when you think that the ones released as digital downloads has small to no chance to be printed into paperback mangas. I prefer to read it in book form if possible, holding it in your hands is much better than reading it on the computer.

I know I sound so negative, but I don't like Jmanga.

I'd rather buy paperback manga thanks.
depression76
depression76
White Devil Worshiper
White Devil Worshiper

Bubuzuke points : 7627
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1396

http://daydreamwiththedragon.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

yuri - JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion Empty Re: JManga: Digital yuri downloads discussion

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06 pm

depression76 wrote:I agree with you so much on this.

Especially when you think that the ones released as digital downloads has small to no chance to be printed into paperback mangas. I prefer to read it in book form if possible, holding it in your hands is much better than reading it on the computer.

I know I sound so negative, but I don't like Jmanga.

I'd rather buy paperback manga thanks.

Nah, it's okay to be negative in this case. The goal of the thread is to also share displeasure with JManga. I'm a traditionalist in this case, it's hard to accept licensed series as just scans and not paperbacks. If I wanted digital copies, I'd get the actual scans. Oh wait, I can't. Unless someone was smart enough to save the old scans, you'll never see that series again for free. Pup mentioned that Lililicious is told to get rid of the old scans once they're licensed.

I'd feel a tad better about that idea if these wonderful stories made the transition to paperback. That way, I can enjoy them in a brand new way. They feel reborn. When you settle for the ease of digital downloads, it feels like scans you have to pay for.

The only people who won't mind this modern day marketing will be the ipad and iphone users. Let's get real, it's not the same.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by wetochan Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 am

I really Pissed when found Out Aoi hana bein taken or seized by J-manga.
so I decided to join their site. and trying to found out how it cost...
when i found out how much it cost per-chapter...
I SCREAMED LIKE ANGRY GRAN!
WTF!!! POOR POOR LIPS per-chapter it cost $ 4.25??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!
HOLY fack! that's so expensive!

okay i know ERica a.k.a Yuricon is the yuri Pionner in States.. i do respect yuricon. but still J-manga is the biggest MISTAKE they ever made!!!
I do got feeling J-manga is like a LOUNGE for rich-richy peeps!
and they charge TOO MUCH!!! its fine if you got a flesh yuri manga.. BUT its NOT!!

Not only that... THEY PLAN TO SEIZE ALL YURI MANGA WHO's CURRENTLY ON GOING in a free translation site....
WAT DE F!!

I am sorry.... i really pissed..
I've following Aoi hana since early 2007 till now.... so so maybe all of you'll know how i feel ;____;
wetochan
wetochan
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 668
Armitage GUTS!!! : 252

Back to top Go down

Post by depression76 Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 pm

wetochan wrote:I am sorry.... i really pissed..
I've following Aoi hana since early 2007 till now.... so so maybe all of you'll know how i feel ;____;
Dx

you're forgiven. I'm pissed too when I heard that JManga licensed Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru. If it's published into paperback mangas I'd gladly buy it like I've been doing all this time. But now? Digital downloads with 4dollars per chapter?

Ermmmm yeaaaaaa no.

I'd rather buy straight from Japan itself.
depression76
depression76
White Devil Worshiper
White Devil Worshiper

Bubuzuke points : 7627
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1396

http://daydreamwiththedragon.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Well, I must say that I'm very very very disappointed about this.

I'm, let's say from the old school. I prefer printed material over digital scans. You simply can't compare the feeling you get when reading a title you like and have been following.
Also, the cost is waaaaaaay insane. When I read it. I couldn't believe it! 4 bucks PER CHAPTER?
It really is cheaper to simply import the japanese manga rather than getting a SCANNED translation.
And thankfully I know the language, but what about those that doesn't?
To be deprived of a genre and series they love because of the costs and format, that's really sad. I can understand their anger.

What I really want to know if you're really thinking about the readers that follow these titles.
Also, I, for one, I'm not very fond of reading this in the computer, some stuff gets lost in translation. If you know what I mean.

Sorry, but I can't be happy about this...
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 pm

I went through the FAQs from their website for some more information, and I came across some information that MIGHT be beneficial:

1. To purchase the mangas, you must first sign up to be a member of the website and purchase points. The points are then used to purchase your manga of choice. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I am of the impression that you may only purchase points in increments of 5, starting with ten if you choose to "pay-as-you-go". Which means that a minimum point purchase is $10 each time. If you choose to go with a monthly plan, the minimum point purchase is $8.99/month. (Side note: You will get 1000 points for these aforementioned payments.)

Also, the points are non-refundable. So, if you have 576 points left and plan to never use their website again, you lose $5.76.

My opinion on this? Lame.

2. The reason you need to register to the website is because you need to read your purchased mangas there. When Luu and the others said "digital downloads", I had the misconception that you will be able to actually acquire a softcopy of the manga. However, after going through the FAQs, I am now assuming that there is no actual downloading involved. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), you can not read your manga without the website.

In other words, if the website ever experiences any sort of technical difficulty, you cannot access your purchased mangas. If you do not have internet access, you cannot read your mangas. So, what I'm translating this to is that you are buying something that you don't necessarily have access to 24/7.

What do I think about this? Lame.

3. Lastly, I will emphasize what Luu and the others have already stated. The price is much too high for the quality that we are receiving. I've browsed through the website and I notice that prices vary from manga to manga. I've come across manga where chapters are about 200 points ($2) each, and the overall volume is about 600 ($6) points, but I'm sure there are other manga that are more expensive. Even so, the prices stated are already too high, in my opinion, for digital download. Not to mention, it's not actual digital download. It's digital access to the manga through a website.

However, if JManga were to make manga available through printed copies, my tune would change. Because, much like the other members, I also enjoy the feel of opening an actual book and flipping through the pages of a story.

So, my overall verdict? Not going to be too supportive of JManga.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for supporting mangakas and their work, but JManga is not the way I would do it.
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Yeah. I support mangakas and doujinkas as much as I can.
But as Ookami said, for me this site is not the best choice or way to do it.
As I said before, I rather buy the japanese copy.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:06 am

Dye has pretty much laid it out, unless she is mistaken in any way. Still, while I stand by my opinion that paperbacks are more essential to the yuri market, I can understand why they chose this system.

I believe it was often said by many:

"Free downloads are killing the industry."

^ I 99% agree. Purchasing these titles in any format, even if they're digital downloads is essential to the yuri manga business. However for my 1% disagreement, fans have always discovered these great stories through free downloads. It's the perfect way to test the waters really, so you don't purchase a series and end up disliking it. Take Sasameki Koto. If JManga acquired the rights to the fluffy lovey dovey adventures of Sumika and Kazama then suddenly made the unexpected announcement that they would be released in paperback form, I'd gladly pay for it. Because I know I'd be getting a whole volume (I'm guessing between 9.99-14.99) with multiple chapters inside. Cover art is always a wonderful thing to collect, no? You wouldn't be a hardcore manga reader if you didn't think so.

My words were a little too aggressive before, I admit it. We have to remember that digital downloads is probably the best they can do for now for these stories, which is perfectly understandable. I must make it clear that JManga had the best intentions and there is no "DOWN WITH THIS WEBSITE'S WAY OF DOING THINGS" movement. My only concern was the lack of paperback and nothing more. The pricing for each chapter is a little baffling yes, but knowing paperbacks of English translated Poor Poor Lips will never exist, is kind of saddening. Everyone feels different about this, but I am only voicing my own thoughts here. Remember:

The goal of the thread is to also share displeasure with JManga

I'm actually hoping to hear satisfactory stories from anyone on MM who joined with JManga. Hear the other side of things from the customers themselves. The only one I know is wetochan and she was taken back by the licensing news. Maybe in the future we'll hear something positive?

For now, purchasing the official Japanese books is my only option. If anyone remembers my recent Japanese manga purchase on Amazon Japan, Sweet Guilty Love Bites by Amano Shuninta. Which I happily purchased for my girlfriend, even though it was expensive (thanks to overseas shipping). Any yuri reader can tell you SGLB is a winner, so I chose to purchase the real thing. But I'd be lying if I said the free download of the scans didn't introduce me to it.

Last edited by Luu Sky Sapphire on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 am

I agree with Luu.
It was thanks to those scans that I've been introduced to many yuri titles.
And I just wait for those to be compiled in a tankou to get them.

There's one thing I'd like to point out. For most scanlations and stuff translated by fans, they say: To stop the distribution IF IT IS LICENSED IN YOUR COUNTRY.
Just because it was scanlated in english, doesn't mean it can't reach people in other countries where NO company will ever publish it in any way.
So, basically, with asking people to take down the stuff they've translated, you're deprieving readers from other places...
That's what I feel. But maybe that's just me.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaglette Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:So, basically, with asking people to take down the stuff they've translated, you're deprieving readers from other places...
That's what I feel. But maybe that's just me.

Exactly. Honestly, I don't give a damn about what JManga's doing but if it means removing free scans online then they've made a new enemy. Singapore has totally NO locally licensed yuri manga and they're only imported by the manga-selling book stores and yuri takes up very, VERY little of the percentage. Heck, the yuri mangas aren't easy to find even though the store's site clearly stated that they imported the manga and it's a miracle I even got to complete my collection of Girl Friends. Even Yuru Yuri can't be found easily, think about what happens to the never-heard-of yuri oneshots.

I'm going off topic with a selfish rant but the point is, there is little to no manga licensed locally (the local publisher sucks at publishing anything other than Bleach, Naruto and Negima) and technically, this means that we're allowed to read almost all manga scanlated online, which we are doing now. Almost every manga bought were read online beforehand to check whether it's good. If they remove free scans, they've made enemies with the world.

Spoiler:

... Did I even make myself clear? D;
Chaglette
Chaglette
Archmeister of Fujinoism
Archmeister of Fujinoism

Bubuzuke points : 4959
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1293

Back to top Go down