Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist?

4 posters

Go down

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? Empty Is the Mai Otome manga sexist?

Post by Magus Phantalus Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? Momang10

Hello all its been awhile since your resident Magus has posted and I would like to kick off my return with some controversy. Any who have paid attention to some of the things I've said about the Mai Otome Manga know that I dislike it with a passion to rival Yog-Sothoth's power. I mean think about it a male character gaining a robe and easily defeating Kagatsuchi, whom Mai struggled with in the anime. And don't get me started on the harem sh@## which is almost always sexist regardless of the gender dynamics.

If they wanted to have some badass male characters they could have easily come up with another type of warrior class OR made a manga version of Bruce he was simply armed with a lightning gun and a sense of style that was deadly all on its own.

But the idea of a male gaining a robe in a system designed for women says oh look I'm a guy and I can be better than any of you girls at your own game.
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 613
Armitage GUTS!!! : 148

Back to top Go down

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? Empty Re: Is the Mai Otome manga sexist?

Post by Twisted Eternal Wolvetta Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Magus Phantalus wrote:Hello all its been awhile since your resident Magus has posted and I would like to kick off my return with some controversy. Any who have paid attention to some of the things I've said about the Mai Otome Manga know that I dislike it with a passion to rival Yog-Sothoth's power. I mean think about it a male character gaining a robe and easily defeating Kagatsuchi, whom Mai struggled with in the anime. And don't get me started on the harem sh@## which is almost always sexist regardless of the gender dynamics.

If they wanted to have some badass male characters they could have easily come up with another type of warrior class OR made a manga version of Bruce he was simply armed with a lightning gun and a sense of style that was deadly all on its own.

But the idea of a male gaining a robe in a system designed for women says oh look I'm a guy and I can be better than any of you girls at your own game.

As much as I love the Otome manga, there are a few pointers which are more than edgy, this being just one of them.

I find that Sunrise attempted a... male ego; sure, Manshiro was the son of Mai and twin brother of Princess Mashiro but...

That's just it; Manshiro gets girls clinging onto him, he's shy, easily embarrassed, shocked over the fact of female sexuality inside Garderobe and yet gets to be the powerbomb of the whole series, rivalling even Lena in the sheer amount of power he holds.

I've attempted to try and come up with an answer for this before in the past (that perhaps he has female chromosomes), but this doesn't answer the gigantic Trollrise plothole which is a crater right in the centre of the manga (my bet is that he won't be in danger of losing his "powers" either. Meanwhile, the women of the series are constantly in danger (e.g. Arika).

It makes you question whether women would actually get portrayed fairly in the media at all.

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 708
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I don't know, the whole Manshiro being all-powerful and using a robe never really bothered me. Amidst the fanservice filled Mai-Otome mangaverse was, surprisingly, a compelling character arc for Manshiro. Plus I constantly reminded myself that the Mai-Otome manga is just an AU of a superior universe in the anime.

Maybe it is sexist when you look at it from one perspective, but it's not the real Mai-Otome to me. So if it wants to enter the realm of ridiculousness (which it did), then be my guest. The artwork in the manga prevents me from further criticism. I love it to death.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Eternal Wolvetta Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Luu Sky Sapphire wrote:I don't know, the whole Manshiro being all-powerful and using a robe never really bothered me. Amidst the fanservice filled Mai-Otome mangaverse was, surprisingly, a compelling character arc for Manshiro. Plus I constantly reminded myself that the Mai-Otome manga is just an AU of a superior universe in the anime.

Maybe it is sexist when you look at it from one perspective, but it's not the real Mai-Otome to me. So if it wants to enter the realm of ridiculousness (which it did), then be my guest. The artwork in the manga prevents me from further criticism. I love it to death.

PFFT, the artwork and anatomy in the mangas are always so much better as well, something I wish Sunrise would think on for the animes, but then again, animes are so expensive that it isn't even funny.

I'm desperately hoping Sunrise don't end up wrecking the Mai Series though (although it is half broken just by them mixing everything all over the place), but... you know how it is.

Hopefully Mai Mao isn't has horrifying to me as it looks right now. Akira Okuzaki

Mao: "Did someone say powerhouse?! I am a teenager who is a 900 plus year old Kitsune (somehow!), now watch me as I cause chaos and probably have an Arika moment in the events of Tomoe(?) impaling Mai(?) through the chest with a sword!"

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 708
Armitage GUTS!!! : 188

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Twisted Eternal Wolvetta wrote:PFFT, the artwork and anatomy in the mangas are always so much better as well, something I wish Sunrise would think on for the animes, but then again, animes are so expensive that it isn't even funny.

I'm desperately hoping Sunrise don't end up wrecking the Mai Series though (although it is half broken just by them mixing everything all over the place), but... you know how it is.

Hopefully Mai Mao isn't has horrifying to me as it looks right now. Akira Okuzaki

Mao: "Did someone say powerhouse?! I am a teenager who is a 900 plus year old Kitsune (somehow!), now watch me as I cause chaos and probably have an Arika moment in the events of Tomoe(?) impaling Mai(?) through the chest with a sword!"

So much better. Sunrise's animation team in Zwei and Sifr. don't compare and that's saying a lot. The manga are rich in detail, the CHILDs look more powerful, the robes designs have no equal, the battles are magnificently drawn...I could go on.

The Mai-Series is split into several different canons, yes. This will always cause confusion among the fanbase. The most common question I get on dA and ShizNat Webs is:

Is Natsuki Kuga actually straight in the manga? Say it ain't so!

They don't like the answer, obviously. Hence the reason I call our fandom a Multiverse. Once you go beyond the silly manga canon, you have fanfictions written by you and anyone else. Some have written decent "sequels" to the Mai-HiME anime.

Mao-HiME...an interesting take on the series. Just not what I expected when coming up with yet another retelling of an already existing series that feel incomplete to begin with. Going back on topic with Mag's thread, the males have secured their place in the Mai-Series in reasonable roles. Manshiro probably feels a bit forced; borderline a way for Sunrise collaborators to come up with something fresh? Who knows. I remember when the pretty Lena Sayers cosplayer at Otakon 2011 asked me to sum up Manshiro. My response:

"The world wasn't ready for Manshiro."
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 am

If they had put Manshiro in role that was a combination of Bruce's and Yukino's a sort of reasonable leader figure who occasionally got mixed up in the action on top of confidence gaining arc I might actually have liked him and the manga as a whole.(oh and shiznat subplot to the manga that would have made it better too)

In fact not giving him any sort of power(or at least otome power) would have made him more endearing. Give him a "I'm not afraid of you!" moment against Sergei(did I spell that right?) and have him and Natsuki coordinate an otome offensive against Sergei, the real Mashiro and the resurrected Hime.

And for the love of The Great Old Ones don't have him touch the obviously lesbian girls. There is no need for that. Boom just fixed the Mai Otome manga.(well not really more like a rough outline... you get the idea)
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Magus Phantalus wrote:(oh and shiznat subplot to the manga that would have made it better too)

ShizNat does make everything better now, doesn't it?

ShizNat

Magus Phantalus wrote:In fact not giving him any sort of power(or at least otome power) would have made him more endearing. Give him a "I'm not afraid of you!" moment against Sergei(did I spell that right?) and have him and Natsuki coordinate an otome offensive against Sergei, the real Mashiro and the resurrected Hime.

We could of done without the Otome robe at best. Him having regular powers or strengthened human abilities would of been a repeat of manga Tate. My vote goes to making Manshiro more like Bruce. Cocky, suave and cool...but needs assistance from the Otome in sticky situations. I could be the manliest man among manly men and I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask super powered women for assistance. They can destroy cities. I have a gun and a mustache.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Okay since I'm feeling confident(I put in an order for a certain My Hime related item and it may show up just in time for the holidays more on that some other time) I figure I'll add what I'm calling my death stroke rant. Get ready for the brutality.

All right let’s look at some of the things I mentioned earlier and break them down. First and foremost let us look at the harem bull S@#! That occurs in both the Mai Hime and Mai Otome mangas. As I’ve stated before virtually any form of harem is sexist. And the Mai Otome manga whether intentional or not(all though it was most certainly intentional) is a harem manga. A harem manga (we will use a male lead for this since this is the case in the Mai Otome and Hime mangas) essentially equates women to objects that need to amassed or hoarded and then jealously guarded. Whether or not this is the stated goal of the male lead is irrelevant what matters is the implication.

Furthermore in the Mai Otome manga setting through circumstances we are all familiar with is where the women are the only ones who can be Otome. And yet a male character not only gets a robe through convoluted means he becomes stronger and more relevant than the women for whom the system was designed for. If that isn’t sexist I am even more insane than I thought I was and THAT is saying something. Once again as I have stated earlier there are any number of ways of making a male character relevant in the given setting, my favorite example being Bruce but Rad deserves mention as well. It is a setting with high science overtones and magic undertones it wouldn’t be a stretch to make cyborg men like Rad but have them maintain a more humanoid form.

Last but not least the various ways in which the manga needs to have a male presence involved in some way with the lesbian characters. I am referring to that one canon hentai manga in which Manshiro is molested by Tomoe and has his face pushed into Shizuru’s breasts by Shizuru herself. WHAT. THE. fack!? It was as if the writer thinks lesbians are useless unless they have a male presence involved in some way. Once again the circumstances in story are irrelevant it is the implication behind the writing that matters. From what I understand there is another off shoot to the manga version of Mai Otome where Gardrobe is turned into a go go dancer… thing by a corrupt noble. Please tell me that others see how that just compounds onto what I stated earlier.

In conclusion the abominations that are the first Mai Hime manga and the Mai Otome manga are horribly and needlessly sexist when it would be absurdly easy to create equal or relevant male characters without resorting to overshadowing the female characters or adding a male presence (or any phallic symbolism, tentacles ect.) to the lesbian characters.
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 pm

I don't remember Manshiro having a robe...
I only remember that he 'helped' Arika and the others get their ultimate robe...

I liked the ShizuNatsu in the manga since it's almost canon. :3 Oh, and the artwork as well is great.

But I do agree that the idea of the harem is just....bleh.
However, one must remember the 'target' for this type of manga. It was published in a shounen magazine. So, most of the times, the young men are the target for these stories. And, even if we don't want to admit it, this Harem genre is quite popular in Japan. Therefore, which type of character is the one 'best suited' for it? The shy boy type that luckyly is now the object of all the girl's attention.
And let's not forget that shoujo titles sometimes, have the same situation. (Fushigi Yuugi, Uta No Prince-sama (?), La Corda D'oro, among others...)
At the end it was just to please a specific audience.

It's a shame that this happened to a series like Mai Hime and Otome in the manga. That's why I prefer the anime too.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4088
Armitage GUTS!!! : 756

http://shezaei-neko.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 am

shezaei-neko wrote:I don't remember Manshiro having a robe...
I only remember that he 'helped' Arika and the others get their ultimate robe...

I liked the ShizuNatsu in the manga since it's almost canon. :3 Oh, and the artwork as well is great.

But I do agree that the idea of the harem is just....bleh.
However, one must remember the 'target' for this type of manga. It was published in a shounen magazine. So, most of the times, the young men are the target for these stories. And, even if we don't want to admit it, this Harem genre is quite popular in Japan. Therefore, which type of character is the one 'best suited' for it? The shy boy type that luckyly is now the object of all the girl's attention.
And let's not forget that shoujo titles sometimes, have the same situation. (Fushigi Yuugi, Uta No Prince-sama (?), La Corda D'oro, among others...)
At the end it was just to please a specific audience.

It's a shame that this happened to a series like Mai Hime and Otome in the manga. That's why I prefer the anime too.
[img]Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? Mashir12[/img]

Just look at him good gods over powered much? Then the whole angelic theme further makes it look like HE is the saviour of the women and further goes to show how much more special he is than them at their OWN game. How can anyone think this is good or worse tolerate it? I say tolerate it being worse because as long as we the fans get a scene of Shizuru talking dirty to Natsuki we are more than will to over look the fact that a man had his face in a lesbian's breasts. Just because we gat maybe one or two scenes were shiznat is "almost canon" we are willing to overlook the fact a male character is outshining his female counterparts at their own system.

Are we THAT desperate?

Should we allow are selves to accept such pitiful scrapes?

As I stated before ANY form of harem is sexist regardless of the gender dynamics. The point is we deserve better than the abomination that is the Mai Otome manga. And people should at the very least be aware of how utterly sexist it is.
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 am

Not that I'm completely defending the manga but...

In that scene, Manshiro was only able to get that 'Master's Armor' (if you look at it that way), 'cause he was recognized as the king, and he accepted his role. Also if it wasn't for the GEM's power of ALL the otome, he wouldn't have been able to do it. The Otome themselves had a big role for Manshiro to accomplish this.
And they didn't do it because they are head over heels about him, just because they knew he was 'the chosen one', if you want to put it that way.
Unfortunately HE was the protagonist of the manga. So the mangaka had to give HIM that ability. It wouldn't make much sense to give that power to a secondary character, given that this is a shounen title.

And remember that not only this manga tends to do this overpowering of their characters. Many titles do it.
If it were a woman having this much power, and the ones giving her that power were men. Wouldn't it be sexist too?

Also, it's not that just because we get to see some ShizuNatsu interaction, we are desperate that we are overlooking this situation.

In the scene where Manshiro is having his face rubbed against Shizuru's bossom was just made for comedy, you know that Shizuru is a flirt. That doesn't mean she wants to bang him...neither want's Natsuki.
Most of this sexual situations are done for comedy purposes.
Just remember Love Hina, and even maybe Tenchi Muyo, among many others.
I just see this as a resource to catch the readers.

I guess that the problem here is how Manshiro was portrayed. Maybe if he was a more likeable character, there wouldn't be much of an issue.
And if it's the harem what bothers you, well, simply avoid it.
It's a genre that will continue because Japanese people like it.

shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 am

For your first point it still feels terrible because it looks like the female characters are ultimately only good for making a male charcter succede.

For your second point yes it would be sexist if the gender dynamics where reversed there is no debate there.

For the third point it still feels terribly sleazy for a male character to have his face rubbed in a lesbian's breasts. Sleazy and underhanded.

My point is the Mai Otome manga could have handled things a lot better I detailed a few ways they could have did this in a previous post. Hell if I'm not mistaken My-Hime Destiny has both men and women having powers. Am I right with that?

Anyway the Mai Otome manga comes of as sleazy, underhanded and trying waaay to hard to out do the anime. Hell Manshiro comes off as stronger than Arika's mom from sifr and she is full on Mary Sue in that.
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Well, simply put.
Harem anime and manga will continue in Japan. Why? It's popular and they like it.
Don't like it? Don't read it. Ignore it.
'Cause unfortunately many titles use this resources.
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:36 pm

shezaei-neko wrote:Well, simply put.
Harem anime and manga will continue in Japan. Why? It's popular and they like it.
Don't like it? Don't read it. Ignore it.
'Cause unfortunately many titles use this resources.

You stated this already.

This site allows for us to discuss that which we like of the My-Multiverse and that of which we despise so long as do so in a calm, polite and rational manner. I am merely exercising my privilege to discuss what I dislike about the My-Multiverse or "venting" if you prefer.
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down

Post by shezaei-neko Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 pm

I agree with that.
So go ahead. I won't say more. To avoid any possible confrontation, that's not my intention. My apologies
shezaei-neko
shezaei-neko
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 pm

This site allows for us to discuss that which we like of the My-Multiverse and that of which we despise so long as do so in a calm, polite and rational manner. I am merely exercising my privilege to discuss what I dislike about the My-Multiverse or "venting" if you prefer.

Correct. Although I can't stress enough that I, myself, share my opinions on any topic regarding the Mai-Series as a general opinion. I'm not out to change anyone's mind or force my opinion on any MM Superstar. If you think I have a good point, fantastic. high five

If not, well, at least you're still a fan of the series. Either way, I win. Point is, continue to handle yourselves in a mature fashion without coming off as a stuck up a-hole.

Just wanted to point out ShezNek and Mag's brief exchange as a way to understand others and walk away without any unpleasant confrontation. Okay, now you may get back on topic. :)
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Magus Phantalus Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 am

Using my powers of necromancy I The Dreadful, the Great, The All Powerful Magus Phantalus command you thread RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

On a serious note I came across a rather interesting image and a nice little counterpoint to one of the many things that irked in in the Mai Otome in manga from an unlikely source.  The Naruto manga bloody hell right?  The Naruto series like the Mai Otome manga had me getting annoyed with how they were treating their female characters... up until the Fourth Great Ninja War that is.  At the end of the Mai Otome manga as I stated before it irked the hell out of me that MANshiro gained a robe and used the power of all the female characters to defeat the big bad.  As I stated before I disliked the idea of a man becoming more powerful at a system designed for women.

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? 73156610

Regardless of the desired intent the implications are that only a man can succeed when it matters most.  And I thought Naruto was going in a similar direction.  But this was ultimately inverted instead of lending their power to Naruto and Sasuke for their fight against Obito and the Ten Tails, Naruto instead gives his power to his friends and they all get their hits in.  In fact Naruto acknowledges that he can not do it alone and needs multiple people there. and this is what you get.  Full disclosure Sakura isn't actually fighting anymore(keyword anymore she actually helped fight the Ten Tails too)  She's fulfilling her role as a medic and at first this annoyed me.  But if anyone else here has played Dragon's Dogma Dark arisen you know how valuable a medic is. And yes for those who may or may not be keeping up Hinata and Ino have been pulling their weight Hinata actually has become more powerful than her father and Ino took control of Obito twice with Hinata's help and saved Naruto from being blasted with a Tailed beast beam.

Is the Mai Otome manga sexist? Team_n10
Magus Phantalus
Magus Phantalus
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Back to top Go down