Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction purge?

+7
MidnightPersona
hildebrant
Luu Sky Sapphire
Cheshire Kat
GoldenSun13
LiteraryAnomaly
IlliterateKoi
11 posters

Go down

Fanfiction purge?  Empty Fanfiction purge?

Post by IlliterateKoi Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:11 pm

So, I've been hearing about stories being deleted over at FF.net, without warning, supposedly because they contain strong lemons/violence...

Thing is, I've heard a lot of people saying that their stories were deleted simply because they used the 'wrong' word in the summery, something that would have taken less than a minute to fix had the author been given a warning. And with how vague the rating system is over there, deciding whether something is M/MA rated can be difficult. Heck, sometimes it's hard to tell if it should be rated T or M ¬.¬

If it is going on, I doubt the Mai series archive will be over looked since it's a relatively popular section for anime/manga. I've also heard a couple of people saying that they seem to be coming down harder on slash fictions, though that could just be the authors jumping to conclusions Razz

Technically, the admins can do as they please, it is their site after all, but I think it's a little rude to not at least give people the chance to correct any broken rules (especially since most would be minor and unintentional) by giving them a warning. On the plus side, they're also apparently taking down plagiarised stories, and stories that aren't stories at all (eg. Just a chapter of authors notes, which isn't allowed and is pointed out in the content guidelines).

Have any of you guys heard about this? I know that there are other authors on here that have posted M rated fics, so if you haven't heard about it, I'd say backup your stories and/or reviews, just in case. Not sure whether I should be worried about it or not, I guess we'll see ¬.¬

(Also, I have no idea if this topic is in the right place, apologies if it isn't sweatdrop)
IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi
Goldfish wanker of Camelot

Bubuzuke points : 4261
Armitage GUTS!!! : 441

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction purge?  Empty Re: Fanfiction purge?

Post by LiteraryAnomaly Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Hm... I suppose I better go and backup everything. I'd rather be on the safe side than check my stuff only to see it has been deleted. -rushes off to secure her lemony goodness- Thanks for the heads up!
LiteraryAnomaly
LiteraryAnomaly
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 91
Armitage GUTS!!! : 36

http://www.fanfiction.net/~LiteraryAnomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by GoldenSun13 Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Apparently it's a bunch of cyber bullies who go on stories they don't deem "worthy" and flag them. I'll double check the tumblr post I read/put the link here.
GoldenSun13
GoldenSun13
Pearl Otome
Pearl Otome

Bubuzuke points : 1966
Armitage GUTS!!! : 613

http://wuzzupy13.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheshire Kat Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Same as what GoldenSun13 said, the people reviewing and telling the authors to review their stories/delete them are basically cyber bullies. I'd say do as LiteraryAnomaly is doing; back up your stories and such and such. It never hurts to be safe.
Cheshire Kat
Cheshire Kat
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 819
Armitage GUTS!!! : 219

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 pm

How stupid. ^^; ff.net alienates the adult reader.

Whether it's Mai-HiME/Otome/Yuri/Femslash fics for children (rare!) or the most erotic story, it's welcome here.

Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hildebrant Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:35 pm

looks like my works may be in danger since one of my fics is pretty big on violence and bloodshed. Oh well that's life
hildebrant
hildebrant
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 888
Armitage GUTS!!! : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by MidnightPersona Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Might I mention I am a victim of this?

My ArmitageZhang was flagged and deleted. No warning or chance to do anything and I had good reviews and am extremely displeased...

Gonna try and repost asap, but if people are doing this just to be mean I want more details because I am not amused. <.<;
MidnightPersona
MidnightPersona
Meister Otome
Meister Otome

Bubuzuke points : 4253
Armitage GUTS!!! : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 pm

I hate to see balls and ovaries drop at a time like this. ff.net staff is just as dense as deviantART when it comes to dealing with cyber-bullying, but that doesn't mean you can't voice your opinion. A lot of those kinky stories for the Mai-Series are keepers.

Ash, your lemons are the best I've read in a long time. I'd hate to see them go. If they go, post them here. Where they belong.
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 am

That's going to be a loooooot of stuff to back up. x-x Never been big on backing up things, but I do like quite a few fanfictions so I'll have to start soon. Thanks for the info, Koi. =)

And I haven't been on FF.net to see if any of my own stories have been taken down. o-o
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by BMeph Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:21 am

SpiralDasher wrote:That's going to be a loooooot of stuff to back up. x-x Never been big on backing up things, but I do like quite a few fanfictions so I'll have to start soon. Thanks for the info, Koi. =)

And I haven't been on FF.net to see if any of my own stories have been taken down. o-o

If your FF.net stuff is still up, and you need to make backups, I would recommend the Incredibly Awesomely convenient Fan Fiction Downloader, from FanFictionDownloader.net - it slurps your stuff straight from the posted site, and converts it to PDF, RTF, .mobi, .epub, .txt, ... the options are amazing!

I don't work on the project, I just stumble on good stuff now and then. Please, check it out, and Donate if you like it.
BMeph
BMeph
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 407
Armitage GUTS!!! : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by IlliterateKoi Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Glad I posted this since some of you didn't know about it. Even if nothing comes of it, it's better to be safe right? It'll be a shame if they do take any of them down, since a lot of the older fics probably won't get put back up ):

MidnightPersona wrote:Might I mention I am a victim of this?

My ArmitageZhang was flagged and deleted. No warning or chance to do anything and I had good reviews and am extremely displeased...

Gonna try and repost asap, but if people are doing this just to be mean I want more details because I am not amused. <.<;

ArmitageZhang? How did I miss this?! Did you post it here? (Yes I'm lazy, sue me ;P)

I'm sorry this happened to you, if it happened to me I'd probably be put off using the site in the future (Ao3 is calling my name as it is, what with all the issues ff.net has had recently ¬.¬)

I think that the 'purge' may have stopped now, but if it is being caused by cyber bullies with nothing better to do with their time then there's no way to stop them flagging things in the future. I find it kind of annoying though that it can take a long time to get something removed when it's blatantly plagiarism, even if loads of people flag it =_=

For now, I'm going to go through and save my favourite fics (which is going to take an absolute agggeeee XD) since I've already backed up my own. Not a chance was I risking losing 150,000 words ¬.¬ Just in case something like this springs up again in the future.

IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi

Back to top Go down

Post by depression76 Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Seriously?? I've heard people talk about the rumors of flagging and taking down of stuff, but I didn't know it actually happened. I usually copy paste stuff from ff.net and put it up into an online file share website to keep things safe.

But yea, might want to backup everything you have now guys xD

Speaking of alternate websites, I found Mediaminer and AO3 to be very great! I usually go to the former, but they're both cool :D
depression76
depression76
White Devil Worshiper
White Devil Worshiper

Bubuzuke points : 7627
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1396

http://daydreamwiththedragon.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IlliterateKoi Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:51 pm

depression76 wrote:

Speaking of alternate websites, I found Mediaminer and AO3 to be very great! I usually go to the former, but they're both cool :D

Never heard of Mediaminer before, might check it out. FF.net is just convenient because of the huge amount of fics and the traffic it gets, no new websites can compete with it really, especially when it comes to smaller fandoms.
IlliterateKoi
IlliterateKoi

Back to top Go down

Post by ookamidesu Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 pm

I've heard about this, though it hasn't really impacted me much in any way. There's a petition going around against this.

http://www.change.org/petitions/fanfiction-net-stop-the-destruction-of-fanfiction-net

Sign it if you believe in its cause. :D
ookamidesu
ookamidesu
Sexilicious Zhang-papa
Sexilicious Zhang-papa

Bubuzuke points : 8884
Armitage GUTS!!! : 1354

http://jnz5012.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiralDasher Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 am

http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/78623/31298368/2/

Well, there's your problem.

"Critics United"

There's at least part of the problem. I believe they work independantly.
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

Post by BMeph Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:40 pm

SpiralDasher wrote:

http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/78623/31298368/2/

Well, there's your problem.

"Critics United"

There's at least part of the problem. I believe they work independantly.

Hmm, it's both sad and funny (both ways) that one of my programming "friends" recently wrote a blog article about this sort of thing bringing down (the English version of) Wikipedia. Hopefully, FF.net doesn't get the same sort of backlash. Also hopefully, the stupid "deletionists" will get some form of backlash.

PS: Part of the "funny" part of it is that the blogger acquaintance I mentioned, has edited a bunch of anime-related articles on Wikipedia...some of which are still there. Some. (sighs)
BMeph
BMeph
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Bubuzuke points : 407
Armitage GUTS!!! : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down