Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome Multiverse Forum
Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the world of...

HIghly-advanced
Materializing
Equipment

Not to mention very smexy and cool Otome!

Sign in to Materialize! (o^_^o)

~ Luu Sky Sapphire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread!

4 posters

Go down

yuri - Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread! Empty Re: Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread!

Post by ATHENAx514 Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:40 am

i guess technically my first yuri was sailor moon but i didnt pick up on it at all because i was so young, but ive heard great things about strawberry panic! (Ill be watching that next week once i send back Kannazuki no Miko) as far as Kannazuki no Miko goes tho i was in love with Chikane, i pretty much had an eyegasm (something about closet obsessive lesbians that ride horses and shoot arrows is attractive to me xD) but then there was that guy >.< and then a robot o.O other than that its been amazing so far im getting the last disk tomorrow in the mail. Im not sure how i feel about the rape thing tho, its like a split opinion i guess. I will check out that last one thought thank you so much! :)
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Bubuzuke points : 140
Armitage GUTS!!! : 60

Back to top Go down

yuri - Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread! Empty Re: Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread!

Post by SpiralDasher Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:38 am

Lol, no prob. If you need any more titles, feel free to ask. =) I know plenty. XD

The thing about yuri is there there are very few titles that are actually yuri/shoujo-ai. Very few titles that are written with the intent of two girls in a relationship. A lot of yuri fans take subtext (blatant or not) from non-yuri series and call it a yuri.
An example I can think of is Saki. In this anime, there's a lot of hugging and blushing, but there's no "I'm in love with this girl!" declarations.
Sometimes it's not even as obvious as that; like in Maria-sama ga Miteru, there's hugging and thinking about another character, but you'll have to turn to fanfiction for anything farther than that.
Kannazuki no Miko and Strawberry Panic! are both wrote to be two lesbian relationship animes though so have fun! XD
Not trying to discourage you of course! All I'm saying is to watch recommened series with yuri goggles turn up and your imagination turned up higher. ;P

I typed a lot more than I thought I would. o-o From one yuri fan to another? =D;;;

Last edited by SpiralDasher on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
SpiralDasher
SpiralDasher
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 1200
Armitage GUTS!!! : 400

http://www.fanfiction.net/~littledemoninside

Back to top Go down

yuri - Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread! Empty Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread!

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:01 am

ATHENAx514 wrote:i guess technically my first yuri was sailor moon but i didnt pick up on it at all because i was so young, but ive heard great things about strawberry panic! (Ill be watching that next week once i send back Kannazuki no Miko) as far as Kannazuki no Miko goes tho i was in love with Chikane, i pretty much had an eyegasm (something about closet obsessive lesbians that ride horses and shoot arrows is attractive to me xD) but then there was that guy >.< and then a robot o.O other than that its been amazing so far im getting the last disk tomorrow in the mail. Im not sure how i feel about the rape thing tho, its like a split opinion i guess. I will check out that last one thought thank you so much! :)

Sailor Moon is a good start actually. Even at a young age, I picked up on Hachiru rather quickly. Some years later with Cloverway's dub, they still couldn't hide the truth with the 'cousins' thing. Even loose yuri subtext can be found; Aluminum Siren and Lead Crow's 'rivalry' from Sailor Stars is a good example. =p Then again, this is coming from the same person who had his Mugi goggles activated back in 1992 when introduced to Rose of Versailles. Oh Oscar; you and Rosalie are the true pioneers of our genre~

Kannazuki no Miko does have it's distraction from it's main yuri stars with Soma and his mecha, but it all works in the end. I can go on about Kannazuki; let's just say Soma is a major plot device for something the viewers wanted from the start. In other words, you will love the contents of disc 3. ;p We all win in this case. *sigh* That ending. And I thought very few anime could capture that Tamahome and Miaka-esque ending. Silly me~

Kannazuki no Miko is a good start, in addition to the more outward (compared to MariMite) Strawberry Panic!. Fanfiction and light novels will get you through the sorrow of completing series and manga books. Sometime in the future, when the school girl feel gets a bit stale, give Simoun a try. Didn't expect much when I first saw it at Yuricon 2007, but it took the genre to the next level. Enjoy the journey, Athena!

P.S. I moved your top 5 Mai-Otome character thread to the Mai-Otome forum. :3 Since you love yuri, check out our yuri forum:

Shoujo-Ai Yuri-verse Forum

Just opened a few days ago! Share all you know! ^o^/
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.
Administrator. The Showstopper. The Headliner. The Main Event. The Icon. Mr. Mai-Series.

Bubuzuke points : 42532
Armitage GUTS!!! : 2524

http://shiznat.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 pm

I loved disc 3 of kannazuki no miko, i couldnt understand why Chikane would hurt Himeko but then she told her why and i was like awww, personally tho if it was me in her position idk what i would do so she has balls in my book lol. strawberry panic comes tomorrow ^.^ and i will check to see if simoun is on netflix but im sure its not cuz netflix is pretty lame :(
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm

ATHENAx514 wrote:I loved disc 3 of kannazuki no miko, i couldnt understand why Chikane would hurt Himeko but then she told her why and i was like awww, personally tho if it was me in her position idk what i would do so she has balls in my book lol. strawberry panic comes tomorrow ^.^ and i will check to see if simoun is on netflix but im sure its not cuz netflix is pretty lame :(

Remember how Natsuki forgave Shizuru for her actions? No matter how "unforgivable" they seem to the casual human being? That's what happened between Chikane and Himeko. You can toss the "rape" defense for both scenarios, but we know they were both influenced. ;p Or some people think. It was clearly the case for Chikane; Shizuru's can be debated.

Last my friend checked, it wasn't on NetFlix. XD Things might have changed since, so go for it! If not, you can always get the set cheap on Amazon. For now, focus on Strawberry Panic! I'd love to read your thoughts! :3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:13 pm

oh my thoughts will be posted once i see it! my only issue has always been that subs get annoying, dont get me wrong alot of dubs are outrageous but im visually impaired so my reading is slower and so i have pause and read the subs if they move to fast so it kinda sucks but the animes are so worth it!
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 pm

ATHENAx514 wrote:oh my thoughts will be posted once i see it! my only issue has always been that subs get annoying, dont get me wrong alot of dubs are outrageous but im visually impaired so my reading is slower and so i have pause and read the subs if they move to fast so it kinda sucks but the animes are so worth it!

I'm glad you brought that up! ANIME WORKS released both Strawberry Panic! and Simoun on DVD for North America with no dub track. Whether they knew a dub would kill both yuri series or they were too low-budget to afford a great voice acting cast, Japanese with subs is good enough or me. But like you said, it's worth everything just having them in your possession. Gay Rainbow
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 am

ya i think i may just buy a ton of animes on amazon in a few days, i want to scare the non believers away with a huge collection :D
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by SulliMike23 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:23 am

May I recommend the anime Saki? While there isn't any kissing or anything like that, it has PLENTY of yuri hints! However, it's only available on livestream video sites. Also I would recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena both the movie and the series. The yuri in that is not even subtle.
SulliMike23
SulliMike23
Coral student
Coral student

Bubuzuke points : 959
Armitage GUTS!!! : 281

Back to top Go down

Post by ATHENAx514 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 pm

ive heard good things about both so i will give them a look over thanks for the suggestions :)
ATHENAx514
ATHENAx514
Fuuka Academy Student
Fuuka Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Luu Sky Sapphire Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:16 pm

If you need further laughs with tons of yuri/subtext, try Yuru Yuri:

yuri - Recommend me Yuri / Shoujo-Ai thread! Yuru-y10

Like K-On! without the instruments and nice animation. Just more in-your-face yuri. Mugi would so appreciated this universe. ;p It's an amusing little series that pokes fun at stereotypes within anime/manga. :3
Luu Sky Sapphire
Luu Sky Sapphire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down